Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Password management tools for fucking idiots - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Password management tools for fucking idiots

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited December 2017

wa44io4 said: we are on LET, don't forget it :D

Where we know all too well that cheap is not always equal to good.

And besides, the fact PCMAG thinks it's good is enough to be wary of it.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Why not to use most secure password and easy to remember: P@55wOrd#

I personally like to use the following website:

https://identitysafe.norton.com/password-generator

to generate the passwords like: B2ajaF7veBRApRUprU2Up2ujew7a!Ef?

• @WebProject said:

hunter2

Thanked by 1uptime
  • +1 for Roboform been using it for years

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@WSS said:

@WebProject said:

hunter2

I will not trust to store the passwords with any software

• Been using Enpass and been very happy with it, they supposedly are planning on adding multiple vaults in a future release (version 6?), but it doesn't yet support them, though the portable version might work for now, and definitely worth keeping an eye on them.

• Trezor Password Manager - Still does not has all the features you want.. and it's a little bit expensive, but for me is the most secure password manager available on the market.

You can read the details at:

https://trezor.io/passwords/

https://blog.trezor.io/satoshilabs-launches-trezor-password-manager-the-ultimately-secure-no-master-password-cloud-1b260e5fbe6b

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

WebProject said: I will not trust to store the passwords with any software

So then you're using the same password all over the place, or are using some sort of easily-guessable pattern system. There's really no other alternative because no human can memorize hundreds or even dozens of passwords.

• @nqservices said:
    Trezor Password Manager - Still does not has all the features you want.. and it's a little bit expensive, but for me is the most secure password manager available on the market.

You can read the details at:

https://trezor.io/passwords/

https://blog.trezor.io/satoshilabs-launches-trezor-password-manager-the-ultimately-secure-no-master-password-cloud-1b260e5fbe6b

Yeah, that’s a touch OTT.

Might get one for myself, but not one each for the family.

• @Nekki said:
    Might get one for myself, but not one each for the family.

..or you could just write /dev/urandom to a 512MB SD card and shove it into a USB carrier and use that for part of your 2FA and save $85.

• The obvious one: LastPass from the GREAT GREAT AND ONLY RESPECTABLE remote access and administration tool and company in that area... behold LOGMEIN ,INC.

• @raindog308 said:
    There's really no other alternative because no human can memorize hundreds or even dozens of passwords.

Password managers for the win and all that. But you really should check out memory competitions in youtube to see what humans can memorise. Memory is a learned skill and it's awesome. It's a shame that not many people train it since Ancient Greeks figured out the principles.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member

Nekki said: cool-kid credentials

cool people always told me they use the standard unix password manager and nothing else

WebProject said: to generate the passwords like: B2ajaF7veBRApRUprU2Up2ujew7a!Ef?

Eventually NIST itself recommends correcthorsebatterystaple

Despite widespread frustration with the use of passwords from both a usability and security standpoint, they remain a very widely used form of authentication [Persistence]. Humans, however, have only a limited ability to memorize complex, arbitrary secrets, so they often choose passwords that can be easily guessed. To address the resultant security concerns, online services have introduced rules in an effort to increase the complexity of these memorized secrets. The most notable form of these is composition rules, which require the user to choose passwords constructed using a mix of character types, such as at least one digit, uppercase letter, and symbol. However, analyses of breached password databases reveal that the benefit of such rules is not nearly as significant as initially thought [Policies], although the impact on usability and memorability is severe.

as an alternative to passphrases, password managers are recommended.

Moreover, suggesting to use norton.com to generate a password in a browser (...) and then saying that you don't trust software to store them is pretty much a non sequitur

raindog308 said: There's really no other alternative because no human can memorize hundreds or even dozens of passwords

Well, there's this

I'd rather use qwerty1 but it's still a possibility

• Lastpass has family sharing for 12 a year

• @raindog308 said:
    I wouldn't buy it as a subscription, but that's probably just me.

It's not just you.

• @raindog308 said:

WebProject said: I will not trust to store the passwords with any software

So then you're using the same password all over the place, or are using some sort of easily-guessable pattern system. There's really no other alternative because no human can memorize hundreds or even dozens of passwords.

AFAIK paper still works. Only drawback is that you end up with a bunch of highly sensible sheets of it. Still 100% secure against any kind of electronic attack and lets face it, if you cant memorize at least your 5 most important gibberish passwords it's just not ment to be.

• Keepass for crypt, Dropbox for syncing crypt-bits.

Haven't had to touch this solution in 9years.

• SallaPass (tm) - Created by Harzem (R)

I wrote my own password manager years ago. It works by getting an input and producing a hashed output.

For example:

input: c9sj4+lowendtalk+harzem
    output: JMr9hvhdUz-6EjbDZH+LDFj-

I only ever need to remember "c9sj4" part. Then I can attact a website name, account name, password version (1,2,3 etc) and it produces a unique password. I have a windows app, a javascript file, and an online version. I can use "Tp0*13??_" for server logins, by attaching a hostname after that and producing another output.

input: Tp0*13??_+fr.chicago.web
    output: mZ.3-FeVvzbXZ54xG-9.b-MC

Possibilities are limitless, and I do not trust 3rd party password managers to keep track of my passwords.

Thanked by 2bugrakoc ferri
  • cviumcvium Member
    edited December 2017

I don't think Keepass is very idiot-friendly as any kind of browser integration requires a desktop application.

Bitwarden can be self-hosted and seems to have all the idiot-friendly tools like autofill browser extensions and iOS/Android apps (all free). The downside is that self-hosting seems to require a license (the free tier would've been enough for me) regardless of the number of users.

I'm not sure I trust all these companies. What happens if they go offline/bankrupt/lose interest? I'm also not sure what happens to a self-hosted Bitwarden db if their licensing server goes down. Do you lose access?

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • I guess that I'm old-fashioned. I keep my passwords in an encrypted text file that I update from time to time on my Nextcloud server. I also have a printed copy of this file, folded twice and hidden in one of my desk drawers.

This has worked so far, but obviously if someone really wanted to get hold of this file and/or printed copy, I could have problems.

• WSS said: ..or you could just write /dev/urandom to a 512MB SD card and shove it into a USB carrier and use that for part of your 2FA and save $85.

No 'woo' factor though.

mfs said:

cool people always told me they use the standard unix password manager and nothing else

Clearly, that's for the uber-kool (yes, with a 'k') kidz (yes, with a 'z') that I could never hope to hang with.

Farish said: Lastpass has family sharing for 12 a year

Where? I see family sharing at $4/month.

JustAMacUser said: It's not just you.

Personally, I wouldn't if it was for me.

vimalware said: Keepass for crypt, Dropbox for syncing crypt-bits.

Haven't had to touch this solution in 9years.

Not particularly slick in terms of integration though.

cvium said: I don't think Keepass is very idiot-friendly as any kind of browser integration requires a desktop application.

That's mainly what puts me off.

cvium said: Bitwarden can be self-hosted and seems to have all the idiot-friendly tools like autofill browser extensions and iOS/Android apps (all free). The downside is that self-hosting seems to require a license (the free tier would've be enough for me) regardless of the number of users.

This is really interesting as something I'd use for myself, I still wouldn't use it for the fam as I don't want to be responsible for their data, I'd rather pay someone else for that.

I can't see any reference to a license fee for self-hosting though, I just went through the installation docs and it appears to just require an email address for the key to be sent to?

• angstrom said: I guess that I'm old-fashioned. I keep my passwords in an encrypted text file that I update from time to time on my Nextcloud server. I also have a printed copy of this file, folded twice and hidden in one of my desk drawers.

Which is fine up to a point; if you don't need to update things much, then there's no real problem with that, but these days it seems everything requires a logon to do anything (I'm looking at you, BBC iPlayer and All 4), so there's a constant stream of credentials that you need to capture, preferably relatively securely.

• cviumcvium Member
    edited December 2017

Nekki said: I can't see any reference to a license fee for self-hosting though, I just went through the installation docs and it appears to just require an email address for the key to be sent to?

It might be free if you only have a single user (personal account), but sharing requires an organization account, which in turn requires a license for self-hosting. I don't think their documentation is very clear on all this - https://help.bitwarden.com/article/licensing-on-premise/

It's only $12/y for the family plan (only 5 users) though, which you can either self-host or use Bitwarden's cloud servers.

• Bitwarden's free plan would actually be fine - I don't need sharing amongst vaults, just everyone can have their own vault and synchronise across multiple devices, although for the $12 it'd probably be worth getting the family plan.

• Enpass is nice. Free for PC and browser integration. 5$ one time for mobile.

• @Harzem said:
    SallaPass (tm) - Created by Harzem (R)

I wrote my own password manager years ago. It works by getting an input and producing a hashed output.

For example:

I only ever need to remember "c9sj4" part. Then I can attact a website name, account name, password version (1,2,3 etc) and it produces a unique password. I have a windows app, a javascript file, and an online version. I can use "Tp0*13??_" for server logins, by attaching a hostname after that and producing another output.

Possibilities are limitless, and I do not trust 3rd party password managers to keep track of my passwords.

That's fucking awesome! Unless I'm failing to see an obvious security flaw in the logic.

I'll be implementing something similar on my free time. Cheers!

• MagicalTrainMagicalTrain Member
    edited December 2017

Bitwarden requires a license for premium features. (like U2F 2FA) but not for basic access.

You can also pay the bitwarden people for hosting. The 10$/y license comes with 1GB online space.

• +1 for bitwarden

• jhjh Member

Thanked by 1mfs
  • @bugrakoc said:

@Harzem said:
    SallaPass (tm) - Created by Harzem (R)

For example:

That's fucking awesome! Unless I'm failing to see an obvious security flaw in the logic.

I'll be implementing something similar on my free time. Cheers!

I don't mind sharing it. In fact I have sallapass.com registered for years. One day I'll make it public.