Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr Vs Linode Vs Ramnode Vs Digital Ocean Vs Amazon Lightsail Which one do you prefer? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr Vs Linode Vs Ramnode Vs Digital Ocean Vs Amazon Lightsail Which one do you prefer?

Comments

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

@VMHaus is there an ETA yet?

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@tarasis will see what we can do.

@v3ng hardware is being shipped. Bit more config than installing Solus/Virtualizor especially with 2 10G routers & switches ;)

Thanked by 1v3ng
  • OVH, hands down. Have used all of them with the exception of Linode.

• vultr because I have their 2.50 a month package in Los Angeles.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited December 2017

Linode has really raised their game recently and they've become my go-to. I used to use DO and they're still very good... you just get more for your money with Linode right now.

I also really, really like that Linode offers phone support (24/7) and not just tickets. Nine times out of ten a ticket's fine but when you need it a real time conversation can be a lifesaver.

• dedotatedwamdedotatedwam Member
    edited December 2017

RamNode is fast and reliable but I had to drop them because Soundcloud blocked their network. I currently use SecureDragon and haven't had any issues.

• I've not used Vultr since 2015, when they broke private networking twice in the space of a month (first time they made you change the MTU to 1450 on the interface, but didn't notify anyone), and second time it completely broke and wouldn't recover until after a reboot.

All my production VPS are now with Linode, and have been there since.

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • Linode - multiple security breaches with loss of user credentials. Happens to everyone once because they all think they're immune. But they're supposed to wise up after that. I've never used them partly from this issue. They also used to be pretty expensive but became more competitive later.

DO - had some signup issues (later fixed by Jarland), very solid after that.

Vultr - faster low end instances than DO and I still have their 50GB block storage freebie, but has engaged in pricing shenanigans and gets more flak around here. I use them but mostly prefer DO for vague subjective reasons.

Ramnode - excellent LET monthly provider, not in same market as the other places mentioned, out of place on list.

Lightsail - didn't try, it got crappy reviews, plus it's Amazon.

Microsoft Azure - used at work a while back, better deal than AWS, had reliability issues at the time, maybe better now.

Google Cloud Services - haven't tried, don't like Google, but that $300 free credit is attractive.

• If uptime is paramount, Ramnode is the best of these.

I've recorded several network downtimes a month from DO, Vultr, Lightsail, and Linode - Ramnode is solid.

Thanked by 2Nick_A uptime
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

It's bizarre to me to see Ramnode in this list.

Lightsail, DO, Vultr, Linode - all large, well-funded companies. I listed them in more or less mothership size order. Even the smallest, Linode, has 70+ employees and 22m in revenue.

Ramnode - run out of someone's basement.

Not the say Ramnode isn't awesome, nor that other "we don't have an office building" companies (BuyVM for example) aren't also great. And there's nothing wrong with running a company out of one's basement - especially in this market, where your workers are typically all remote, etc.

I just wouldn't put Ramnode in the same class as the others. API? Not so much. Advanced features such as block storage, floating IPs, load balancers, etc.? No. Custom panel? No. Ramnode is really just another WHMCS-and-Solus host.

Again, no criticism of Ramnode intended - I'm a customer and I recommend them - just questioning how the OP classifies hosts.

• raindog308 said: Linode, has 70+ employees and 22m in revenue.

Vultr is bigger than that? I didn't realize.

• It's bizarre to me to see Ramnode in this list.

Lightsail, DO, Vultr, Linode - all large, well-funded companies. I listed them in more or less mothership size order. Even the smallest, Linode, has 70+ employees and 22m in revenue.

Not the say Ramnode isn't awesome, nor that other "we don't have an office building" companies (BuyVM for example) aren't also great. And there's nothing wrong with running a company out of one's basement - especially in this market, where your workers are typically all remote, etc.

I just wouldn't put Ramnode in the same class as the others. API? Not so much. Advanced features such as block storage, floating IPs, load balancers, etc.? No. Custom panel? No. Ramnode is really just another WHMCS-and-Solus host.

Again, no criticism of Ramnode intended - I'm a customer and I recommend them - just questioning how the OP classifies hosts.

Do and Lightsail would be in the same category because they both offer block storage and object storage services. Linode has been saying for months that block storage is in the works, but nothing has happened yet. Vultr , I have no idea when they will have block storage as a service.

The thing is with DO things are a lot cheaper for batch processing work. You have dedicated cpu droplets, high ram, and normal droplets. Although, a bit more expensive than Linode and Vultr. But the things you can do easily on DO are things such as needing to setup some sort of pipeline to process a lot of file where you can easily set-up a little cluster through a saltstack, ansible etc.

I can't do that with RamNode or BuyVM, because they don't have hourly instances with a great APi that most devops tools support. On top of that, block storage is essentially needed to do any sort of processing where you need to eventually store the processed files somewhere before transferring them over to a storage API. Otherwise you have to keep the instances running, and that costs a lot of money if you are going to launching 10-20 of the 2 dedicated cpu intensive units.

• LOL how dare yaaaaa , @Nick_A

@raindog308 said:
    It's bizarre to me to see Ramnode in this list.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

nabin said: Ramnode is decent but, I was their customers for few years but left them just because I have to pay for my VPS for the whole month, as they do not have hourly billing.

SoonTM

raindog308 said: Ramnode - run out of someone's basement.

How do you know I have a basement? o_O

Joking aside, we are working on those features. Hoping to have beta soon.

• DO all the fckng way, trust me. You cant go wrong with them. Support, uptime, best.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

willie said: Vultr is bigger than that? I didn't realize.

I guess I don't know on Vultr vs. Linode for smallest. IIRC discussion here was that they were venture-funded.

Nick_A said: Joking aside, we are working on those features. Hoping to have beta soon.

Excellent!

• @Hxxx said:
    DO is the king. The rest follow.
    DO -> Linode->Vultr ->RamNode-> Amazon???

You're kidding yourself

Thanked by 2Hxxx Xei
  • I'm kidding you.

@corbpie said:

@Hxxx said:
    DO is the king. The rest follow.
    DO -> Linode->Vultr ->RamNode-> Amazon???

You're kidding yourself

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited December 2017

raindog308 said: I guess I don't know on Vultr vs. Linode for smallest. IIRC discussion here was that they were venture-funded.

details via crunchbase

vultr https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/vultr-holdings-llc

vs

linode https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/linode

• I had 8 VPSs with Ramnode and there was no downtime. Also, there was no problem with performance.

• hammer said: I wish their was a good book that explains linux better.

All you need to know is quirks specific to your distribution, then 99% is dealing with individual applications, so you should be referring to their man pages or equivalent documentation.

• nithinsnithins Member
    edited December 2017

Vultr Sandbox is bang for the buck. They won't provide more than 2 Instance. I would recommend D.O for the production.Grab DO $10 bonus in my signature. For an extra $10 just ping me after signup.

• XeiXei Member
    edited December 2017

I spend over $150 a month on VPS's which are solely a hobby. I spend at minimum $25/month at DO. The best provider hands down is Vultr, then I'd say Ramnode, then DO. I have lots of other providers, but I'll keep it to these few without getting off topic. Availability and uptime Vultr/Ramnode. DO has pretty good availability but sufficient infrastructure and network issues, I was away for a month and found out my server wasn't working for nearly the month I was gone. Was a failure on their end, I didn't ticket it because time and I don't care - just restarted VPS and it worked, I've been with countless companies but DO is the only one something bizarre like that happened. I don't use them for production because they're not ready for that. The only thing I love about DO is they don't do bandwidth overages but I am sure that will end eventually. So I am thinking of replacing them with a 800mbit Scaleway instance or a Worldstream dedi. Not sure yet but I like all these companies, YMMV.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2017

I use Vultr, DO was the catalyst to this particular style of servers though, DO had that 'we are to big to care' feel in many ways early on so I never really got invested with them in any way.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited December 2017

I have 1-2 servers with each: vultr, digitalocean, and linode.

Support has been excellent with all three, but I rarely had any issues so few support tickets. DO was the slowest to respond, taking about 15-60 min to respond versus Vultr and Linode <30 min to respond to my tickets.

I use Vultr and DO's NJ locations to host some apps, and they're rock solid. I use Linode's Dallas location for a very small app, and it's also been rock solid.

If price/value is the biggest factor, check out Vultr's NJ location for a $2.50/mo KVM with 512MB RAM, 20GB SSD, 1 CPU, and 500GB bandwidth. Or, $5/mo for 1GB RAM.

If reliability is the biggest factor, I'd pick DigitalOcean only because I have never had an issue with the 2 production virtual servers running there for over a year.

I once had a Vultr server in Miami, and had intermittent packet loss problems for a month. Not sure if they resolved the issues, since I cancelled that server.

• @Xei said:
    I spend over $150 a month on VPS's which are solely a hobby.

Would you tell us more about this "hobby"?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Out of those listed RamNode is what I would choose any day.

a.) You're supporting a smaller company that depends more on their clients than the rest
    b.) Nick is a cool person and the company generally has a very good reputation
    c.) Uptime is very good, I've had a server there on and off for a long time and currently have one of my small monitoring servers there
    d.) I think typically prices the same or a little bit lower for resources than the others listed

Thanked by 1creep
  • without a doubt, DO, I do not want to give a reason. :D

• Pffft none of them.

Used DO when it started had an account until last month then deleted it. It's obvious they don't care to support ISOs.

Vultr was ok but wouldn't work for me anymore.

Ramnode Nick is a good guy just has no locations for me anymore.

Linode has never caught my interest nor will it ever. Anything they have I can get the same elsewhere cheaper.

• I have a funny story,I'm an old user of ramnode for five years. When I logged in, I found a VPS forgot to renew.I found a bill and I paid it. but the staff said my VPS was over this month and the data was all lost.I don't understand that VPS is over.Why is this bill still in place? The customer service gave me a new one, but the configuration was different from the previous one, and the billing cycle was still based on the previous bill.According to my understanding, since the bill is based on the previous one, the VPS configuration should also follow the previous protocol. But they didn't.In my opinion, service is heartless.