Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, what should I get to replace my TinyVPS box that'll be going down soon? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

So, what should I get to replace my TinyVPS box that'll be going down soon?

2»

Comments

• And I'm off provider-hopping once more... :(

• http://www.dmbhosting.co.uk/lowendoffers.html

My uptime monitors have detected less than 5 min downtime since December 16.

• jenokjenok Member, Host Rep

@Gary said: And I'm off provider-hopping once more... :(

Sad to hear that, hopes you get reliable one.

• @ dmmcintyre3 - I'd really rather not pay for a year or 6 months up front, and the monthly packages you have are way overpowered, and as a by-product way too expensive for what I need.

Don't suppose you'd do me a custom plan that I could pay for quarterly?

• @Gary said: @dmmcintyre3 - I'd really rather not pay for a year or 6 months up front, and the monthly packages you have are way overpowered, and as a by-product way too expensive for what I need.

Don't suppose you'd do me a custom plan that I could pay for quarterly?

He's not affiliated with DMBHosting i guess :D

• @Gary said: @ dmmcintyre3 - I'd really rather not pay for a year or 6 months up front, and the monthly packages you have are way overpowered, and as a by-product way too expensive for what I need.

If you want budget, and if you're being real tight, then you're going to need to consider 6 month or yearly. Each transaction you make costs say roughly 50c, be prepared to spend $6 a year in just transaction fees. Hence a $15 a year VPS, if you choose to pay Monthly means that of the $1.25, they lose 50c each month to a transaction. Thus why most really lean budget plans will not take monthly payment as it would eat half the annual cost of the plan nearly.

• To be honest, I'd rather pay the extra 50c/month than pay for a year up front. I'd been with TinyVPS ages, and they seemed stable.

QualityServers seemed stable too. Sure, QS will give me a pro-rated refund, but it's a pain in the arse. I'd really rather not pay too much up front, even if it means I end up paying more in the long run.

Thanked by 1japon
  • xenuxenu Member
    edited January 2012

I recommend VRS Micro package for 1.45eur + VAT/month (billed monthly) from EDIS. I use it for IRC and it works really good. Excellent support and server quality :)

• That's interesting. I'm going to research them. How long have you been with them?

• Ok, just signed up. I'll take advantage of their 4 hour trial to see how it performs. Not liking their signup process, it seems pretty shoddy.

• @birdie25 would just like to add that nobody on these forums is affiliated with dmbhosting other than myself.

• How about this deal?

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/xenvz-1-30-128mb-xen-vps-in-uk/

Not got one myself but seems to have good comments.

• GaryGary Member
    edited January 2012

@ Deor - that looks quite good, thanks. They say no irc, but then they say you can if you ask. Guess I'll ask them.

Edit: Run by a fellow Scot too, good stuff. :)

Edit2: sent off an email to see what they say. Fingers crossed! From what I've read, their customers love them, and the price is definitely right. :)

• @Gary, I was using EDIS for more than half of year off and on (I had many VPSes hosted with them).

• Let us know if you do get one Gary, I'm tempted just to have a 2nd UK box now my quality server stuff is gone.

• Will do. @ xenu - why'd you drop them?

• xenuxenu Member
    edited January 2012

@Gary, it wasn't their fault, just projects that were supposed to be hosted died :)
    But I still keep small VPS in EDIS for IRC.

• Ah, ok. Well they're on the shortlist. I'll see what xenvz say. :)