Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DM! Los Angeles Node Removal -IMPORTANT- Crissic Solutions LLC
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DM! Los Angeles Node Removal -IMPORTANT- Crissic Solutions LLC

i got a mail from theme with the info of node removal!

Good afternoon,

I first wanted to start off by saying that I am terribly sorry for any inconvenience the rest of this email may pose. This decision was not made lightly, and there are multiple factors as to the decision regarding our Los Angeles Services.

As of the 30th of September, or Los Angeles node will no longer be online, and any services associated with Los Angeles that are not migrated prior to the 30th will be terminated.

If Los Angeles is your preferred service location, we will not be able to assist you past the 30th of September. Any service that is due to renew will not renew unless migrated to our Jacksonville servers. If you wish to migrate to Jacksonville, please submit a support request and we will get it taken care of.

Any service that migrates to Jacksonville is eligible for an upgrade to any of our existing promotions and will receive one free month of service.

For those interested in changing promotions, our existing YEARLY promotion is: @ $15 per year, @$28 per year, and @$50 per year. If you migrate, your past month's invoice will be credited to your account regardless if you decide to upgrade or not.

Again if you do not wish to migrate to Jacksonville, you must have all data off no later than the 30th of September. We are not responsible for any data lost when our Los Angeles node is removed. If you are within the 10 day refund policy window you may request a refund at this time.I

Thank you for your understanding and patience. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us!

Comments

• Wow. Expansion and now... I hope it all works out for them and this is not a sign for more things to come.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

LA to Jacksonville is quite a move :(

• @CVPS_Chris said:
    LA to Jacksonville is quite a move :(

Announcing a "New Los Angeles DC!" in an offer on August 2nd and then shutting down the new location a month later is a flashback to the old Crissic v1 from a few years ago.

• @concerto49 said:
    Wow. Expansion and now... I hope it all works out for them and this is not a sign for more things to come.

We will re-visit an expansion to Los Angeles at a later date when we can do so under proper circumstances. Owned gear and colocating will be the focus there, as it is Jacksonville, rather than renting gear. Not being able to route IPs to LA was a factor in the decision, as well as a few other factors relating to Jacksonville that make focusing on Jacksonville that much more logical.

More things to come is the idea, but in a good way. Jacksonville will remain our primary focus in the coming months, expanding outward from just VPS to other potential opportunities. All of our gear is owned entirely by Crissic, including our IP space, and we plan to keep it that way as we grow.

• @SkylarM said:

All the best!

• jakejake Member
    edited September 2013

@DomainBop said:
    Announcing a "New Los Angeles DC!" in an offer on August 2nd and then shutting down the new location a month later is a flashback to the old Crissic v1 from a few years ago.

For those that are unaware of Crissic v1, looks like Skylar went out of business multiple times in the past with Crissic and it just recently re-opened.

It has been a while but people on WHT are calling it a company ran by a teenager, I hope that's not the case.

When he was back in 2009: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=871195

When he was back this year: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1260952

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited September 2013

I can assure you things are significantly different. Los Angeles isn't exactly proof of that statement in the fact that it was fairly swiftly shut down shortly following the announcement, but running rented gear on rented IP space with ColoCrossing just isn't right for our business model.

Jacksonville is expanding so rapidly for us that we simply cannot dedicate enough resources or money to do any justice to the Los Angeles location, and stringing along one node with a company we just aren't too happy with just didn't make any sense.

When the time is right and the proper attention can be given to an additional location such as Los Angeles, then we will revisit the opportunity to expand similar to our Jacksonville offering, with our owned hardware, rather than renting the hardware.

@jake said:
    It has been a while but people on WHT are calling it a company ran by a teenager, I hope that's not the case.

The context of the post in the thread from this year was past tense, and it was entirely accurate. Not going to sugar coat or lie about my past, but "ran by a teenager" was only relevant to Crissic v1 many years ago. There is a very real reason as to why I re-entered the hosting industry with the same company name and a transparency policy. I didn't re-appear under a fake identity to hide my past.

@DomainBop said:

If the node magically went offline without any warning, resolution, or refund opportunity then I would agree with you. Whilst the closure of the LA node isn't ideal and a large inconvenience to our clients, it's just the right decision for our business moving forward at this time.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Never an easy decision to make. I remember when I had to make the announcement for pulling Catalyst out of Denver, then recently Lenoir. Sometimes things just don't work out like you hope.

• @jarland said:
    Never an easy decision to make. I remember when I had to make the announcement for pulling Catalyst out of Denver, then recently Lenoir. Sometimes things just don't work out like you hope.

Denver....

• @serverian said:
    Denver....

fdc

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@serverian said:
    Denver....

Ha, good times. That server was such a beast though ;)

• Well best of luck to you @skylarm. Everyone always got to hate! He is doing what is best for his business! What happened in the past is the past! Let it be always bringing up the old stuff just tells me your BORED or Have no life!

• Can totally do some awesome prices out of Jacksonville though ;)

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited September 2013

Emails regarding this will be going out to clients shortly, but wanted to provide a brief update:

BlueVM has kindly agreed to providing service to our existing Los Angeles customers. Any existing LA customer should receive an email in the next two weeks from BlueVM regarding the change-over. At this time no service interruption is planned, and you can continue using your VPS as normal.

Those interested in a migration to Jacksonville are still eligible to do so, and can request it via support request.

More from BlueVM should be coming later :)

Operations in Jacksonville remain the same. This is not a buyout, BlueVM simply agreed to taking over our Los Angeles node and keep existing users there online with the same package pricing.

The ONLY data transferred to BlueVM will be customers that wish to keep their existing VPS, and will occur in two weeks time from today.

• As Crissic Solutions stated BlueVM will be taking over the nodes in question in Los Angeles. As part of this transition we are granting all customers a choice to either leave their VPS where it is in LA or choose to move to Jacksonville. As part of this migration we will be making every effort to ensure that customers are aware of these changes and we will be ensuring there are no gaps in service, no IP changes and no physical server moves.

Crissic Solutions will be issuing an email later today to all customers effected by this change notifying them of their right to choose which location they would prefer to stay in. BlueVM will not receive client information on the node concerned until two weeks from today. Only customers who choose to remain on the node will have an account created with BlueVM for billing purposes.

After the transfer of the hardware and clients is complete, BlueVM will be issuing all clients transferred two (2) free months of service. If you do not wish to become one of our clients you may open a ticket with Crissic Solutions during this two week window and have your data exempted from the transfer. If you have any questions, comments or concerns about this transfer feel free to open a ticket with either of our two companies and we will gladly assist you.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2013

Shoot us a ticket if you want to change provider guys(crissic customers). We will do our best to match Crissic's plans(only OpenVZ). We have 2 nodes standing strong in LA. :)

• As a consumer of various vps I can say that this does not surprise me, the lack of trust may be the biggest factor from a company that deadpooled in the past and more than likely will again as v2.

I picked up a slot on a node recently(July), server went OOM/fsblocked on various occasions, was blamed on folding @ home everytime, to the point where I just canceled the node and never looked back.

History repeats it's self over and over and over... and over

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited September 2013

@Dorkfiles said:
    As a consumer of various vps I can say that this does not surprise me, the lack of trust may be the biggest factor from a company that deadpooled in the past and more than likely will again as v2.

I picked up a slot on a node recently(July), server went OOM/fsblocked on various occasions, was blamed on folding @ home everytime, to the point where I just canceled the node and never looked back.

History repeats it's self over and over and over... and over

Out of every customer we have not had any significant issues with their service at all. You're more than welcome to read our AUP that details our policy relating to Folding@Home software:

http://crissic.net/aup

I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you, but we have had zero reports of issues relating to our services similar to your issues.

I'm more than willing to offer a free months of service to you and you're more than welcome to use the VPS for things that are not against our TOS or AUP.

• @SkylarM said:
    I'm more than willing to offer a free months of service to you and you're more than welcome to use the VPS for things that are not against our TOS or AUP.

Feel free to re-read that my vps would go off and you sir, called it folding at homes issue.

• @Dorkfiles said:
    Feel free to re-read that my vps would go off and you sir, called it folding at homes issue.

If you can PM me the name on account or a ticket ID I can look into it further. We deal with multiple tickets and clients daily so I don't have an exact recollection of the specific incident.

• what is "folding at homes" ?

• For crissic... I was going to leave it at that..

I also have a phone call recorded where you called me when you first opened begging me to be ok with crissic and the 10mbps issue, you simply couldnt even look in a spam folder on outlook. com/h0tmail. This is the last post I'm making about your bad services unless I get asked which I will.

Forgot about this, you also dual subbed me and billed me...

Ticket

Ticket

Skylar MacMinn || Staff
    I am sorry for the issues caused with this recent brief outage. We are still working on restoring access to all VPS.

I can assure you that this system is not out of memory. We actively monitor our servers, and the server your VPS is located on presently has utilized ~11GB of the 36 installed on this system, so I can assure you 100% that it is not an out of memory issue and is related to CPU abuse.

With any OpenVZ service, CPU cores are "Shared" which means if any user abuses CPU resources and our monitoring system doesn't catch it prior to the system hanging, it can cause significant issues to other clients affected.

As per our policy, we do not offer refunds at this time. I would like to hope that I can prove our service as "it's" not a regular occurrence that issues like this pop up.

Solus being unreachable for a brief period of time was explained in detail in a mass mail sent to every client, and access was restricted for reasons of security. I value our client's data security over that of access to the Panel which could have resulted in large amounts of data loss due to a 0 day exploit with Solus at the time.

Thank you for your patience.
    Regards,
    Skylar MacMinn

And later... same ticket

I do understand your frustration with the downtime today, the user in question (as explained via mass email) was running a folding at home software which was effectively using 100% of his fair share CPU utilization, resulting in the node effectively seizing up for an unknown reason. We have since resolved this issue and are investigating further to determine why this one process was able to cause significant issues with our services.

As the money in question is excess Credit applied manually by yourself, we typically do not offer refunds. However if you are insistent on receiving a refund for this I am more than willing to provide a refund for the full $7 amount as it was an accidental payment. I would like to caution you to not make payments prior to automated subscriptions pulling as the system has no way of knowing if it should still pull or not, it just takes the funds at the agreed upon time for the agreed amount, regardless of any outside occurrences such as manual payment.

I would like to hope that we can keep you as a customer, and we are deeply sorry for the issue that the brief outage today caused, and we are working on making sure issues such as these do not happen again.

Screenshot @ http://postimg.org/image/4aqr6a5ud/

• @MorningIris said:
    what is "folding at homes" ?

http://folding.stanford.edu/

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited September 2013

@Dorkfiles said:

Justin,

The ticket explains that a user on the node was infact abusing CPU that resulted in the node seizing up. Again the ticket explained this, as well as the fact that you had a subscription and then made a manual payment. Both payments had been marked in our systems as one was an overpayment made by you, we did not bill you twice or force you to pay us twice. The overpayment made by you was refunded, and was documented as such in the support ticket. We agreed to issue a refund, and a mere 10 minutes following our response you had opened non-receipt disputes via Paypal.

There was an unrelated issue with Subscriptions due to an email change for our paypal account that resulted in an isolated issue with existing subscriptions not tracking in our database appropriately. This issue was corrected, and a mass email was sent to every user explaining the situation with follow-up emails for the small selection of users impacted by this issue. As explained in your ticket, your account was not part of this incident thus you did not get a ticket opened with you relating to it.

The issue with SolusVM access was, if I remember correctly, right around the time of the SolusVM exploits and hacks with ChicagoVPS/Ramnode - we limited access to solusvm as explained in a separate mass email to clients to maintain security for our clients. It just was not worth risking confidential information and services becoming compromised so people could reformat their VPS without a ticket. Access has since been restored and we have had no further issues with this regard.

The phone call that you are mentioning did happen, under no circumstance did I beg you to stay. As I remember it we had a very solid conversation about the return of Crissic as you had expressed interest and I was more than willing to explain what all was happening there. The issue with your network speed was promptly resolved, with you responding as such via support ticket, even requesting to purchase additional services. The intent behind the call was simply due to the lack of response regarding your initial concern with the VPS speeds and I wanted to try and make sure that your experience was as good as possible with Crissic.

I'm not here to try and steal your money, or try and lie about what we offer. I assure you we are a genuine, legitimate business that strives for excellence in our service offerings. If you are ever dissatisfied with something we have done, we are more than willing to try and find a resolution.

As is with any virtualized, non-dedicated service there is a risk for potential abuse causing issue for other users, we have since applied alternative methods of monitoring and adjusting access per container as necessary via software called VPSMON -- you can find detailed information on how we utilize this software to keep things running smoothly for all of our customers on our Transparency Policy page.

Again I am more than willing to provide you with a free month's service. The issue relating to your service was an issue with node abuse by another user, which we promptly resolved and sent out an email to every client affected. I understand the frustration that was caused with the outage, and I am truly sorry that we had been unable to come to a resolution that you found acceptable. We do our best to work with everyone.

• Thanks for the offer but once burned, twice shy, three times a fool.

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited September 2013

@Dorkfiles said:
    Thanks for the offer but once burned, twice shy, three times a fool.

It's a shame we had been unable to accommodate you originally, and I do wish you the best.

• @dorkfiles so u illegally recorded a phone conversation with out consent or a warrant. So that could easily lead to some kind of charges. Its funny how you are here to bash when he was very accommodating. Well I would say ur just straight up trolling.

• @Ian_ said:
    dorkfiles so u illegally recorded a phone conversation with out consent or a warrant. So that could easily lead to some kind of charges. Its funny how you are here to bash when he was very accommodating. Well I would say ur just straight up trolling.

Where was it said this was not disclosed, he called me on a class 3 business line which in canada legally has to record so your point is fairly moot.. or where did you assume that he called an american phone line, pssh I'm done talking about the many bads of this company.

Enjoy defending an obvious fly by night provider.