Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PLEX Server - Supermicro 6-bay Opteron 1385 8GB - Is This To Slow?? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PLEX Server - Supermicro 6-bay Opteron 1385 8GB - Is This To Slow??

13»

Comments

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited December 2017

i ask for help with one line of code in another post,

( i used iptables, i no need help with the script)

and i get A-Holes replys and comments from you.

• Bitch a bit more about not knowing what you're doing, and then not offering to pay for people who were more than willing to assist, and somehow turning that into a new complaint.

• this post was not a request for help, go troll somewhere eles.

will be no more reply to you, in this post or any other post, By class clown..

• That's neat. Can you crawl up your own ass deep enough that you can't reach the keyboard anymore?

• @painfreepc said:

@Farish said:

painfreepc said: I do know for example within the tutorial that I posted, that all those ports that he open for Plax should not be accessible to the outside Network, I am not totally ignorant of network protocols,

Huh what?????!!!!

If your PLEX server is running on a home network, and you will never stream to a device outside your home network, why would you open port 32400 on your home router,

but you already know this - right, you just feel the need to be a tech geek A-Hole..

If you read what I quoted, you will noticed you never mention your home server nor router.

I deal with a lot of "new" people in different communities, environments etc.

I wear a few different hats and one of them is educator. I usually deal with two type of learners in this situation.

The first is the one who seeks guidance but tries on their own and reaches failure before asking for help. I give them hints, sometimes partial solutions, and it might be enough to get them to figure it out. Sometimes they want the solution but I understand they tried and failed so they earned it.

The second wants the solution to the problem before getting to the point. Sometimes they fake it. "I want the solution to compare", they did only 2 percent of the work and just want the easy way out.

When you are in this community talking about setting up a server there is a fair and reasonable expectation that you know enough security to lock it down. And a person who is at that level should be able to read documentation to setup Plex. Which is why you come off like the second one here.

painfreepc said: My problem with tech tutorials, why are they written to make people that are totally green to Tech feel like they're totally stupid,

No they are written for people who have a certain level of understanding of what they are getting into. That is why I made my first remark about getting hit with a DMCA request or server getting hacked.

You do type some of the right words, but let me give you a clear example here.

painfreepc said: In fact the new server I got on Black Friday I am installing everything by command line I have not installed VestaCP or Webmin,

Wait a minute here you are installing everything in the command line but afterwards you type

painfreepc said: For example why would somebody make a plex server tutorial, but never even mentioned that you need to open up an SSH tunnel so you can add media to to server.

Why would you have it any other way when you are installing via "command line" anyways.

The idea of a ssh tunnel shouldn't be foreign to you at all.

I just imagine if you had asked if anybody knew some newbie friendly tutorials that help you setup plex on a vps, you might have gotten a much friendlier response.

• @Farish said:

@painfreepc said:

@Farish said:

painfreepc said: I do know for example within the tutorial that I posted, that all those ports that he open for Plax should not be accessible to the outside Network, I am not totally ignorant of network protocols,

Huh what?????!!!!

If your PLEX server is running on a home network, and you will never stream to a device outside your home network, why would you open port 32400 on your home router,

but you already know this - right, you just feel the need to be a tech geek A-Hole..

If you read what I quoted, you will noticed you never mention your home server nor router.

I deal with a lot of "new" people in different communities, environments etc.

I wear a few different hats and one of them is educator. I usually deal with two type of learners in this situation.

The first is the one who seeks guidance but tries on their own and reaches failure before asking for help. I give them hints, sometimes partial solutions, and it might be enough to get them to figure it out. Sometimes they want the solution but I understand they tried and failed so they earned it.

The second wants the solution to the problem before getting to the point. Sometimes they fake it. "I want the solution to compare", they did only 2 percent of the work and just want the easy way out.

When you are in this community talking about setting up a server there is a fair and reasonable expectation that you know enough security to lock it down. And a person who is at that level should be able to read documentation to setup Plex. Which is why you come off like the second one here.

painfreepc said: My problem with tech tutorials, why are they written to make people that are totally green to Tech feel like they're totally stupid,

No they are written for people who have a certain level of understanding of what they are getting into. That is why I made my first remark about getting hit with a DMCA request or server getting hacked.

painfreepc said: In fact the new server I got on Black Friday I am installing everything by command line I have not installed VestaCP or Webmin,

Wait a minute here you are installing everything in the command line but afterwards you type

painfreepc said: For example why would somebody make a plex server tutorial, but never even mentioned that you need to open up an SSH tunnel so you can add media to to server.

Why would you have it any other way when you are installing via "command line" anyways.

I just imagine if you had asked if anybody knew some newbie friendly tutorials that help you setup plex on a vps, you might have gotten a much friendlier response.

I never ask you or anyone for help setting up a plex server,

i asked "is the Supermicro 6-bay Opteron 1385 8GB too slow for 4 users"

i posted a link to a Plex Install tutorial and others got pissed.

• @painfreepc said:

I never ask you or anyone for help setting up a plex server,

i asked "is the Supermicro 6-bay Opteron 1385 8GB too slow for 4 users"

i posted a link to a Plex Install tutorial and others got pissed.

No you wanted a solution were it was brought down to a level that leads to this conversation you are having with everybody. You keep stating you know enough.

From what I read from your posts, you know enough to be dangerous.

• to all that helped me with my question, i thank you,

have a mary christmas and a blessed new year.

• Super confused by this page here: http://kodiserver.com/

Thanked by 2MasonR Farish
  • For any one that is still on the green side of "tech know how"
    I found a great Plex Install tutorial that's newbie friendly,
    Very few sites say any thing about the SSH Tunnel:

Plex Media Server on Minimal Centos 6.5
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/132843/plex-media-server-on-minimal-centos-6-5

Plex Media Server on Minimal Centos 7.0 - Gets In To The Security Issues,
    Plex doesn't need to be root, don't know why the tutorial above is saying to do that:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/164112/plex-media-server-on-minimal-centos-7-0/p1

If you are accessing it from a different computer, you need an SSH tunnel. The process is described here, Setting up an SSH Tunnel for Plex 
    From Plex Support: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200288586-Installation
    Easy to follow: https://plaza.quickbox.io/t/setting-up-an-ssh-tunnel-for-plex/135

• WSSWSS Member
    edited December 2017

@ghettoHost said:
    Super confused by this page here: http://kodiserver.com/

Do you mean this one, which links here?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@WSS said:

@ghettoHost said:
    Super confused by this page here: http://kodiserver.com/

Do you mean this one, which links here?

Yep.

• Im confused by this thread.
    I dont see the op asking for config help.
    I see what look like lots of assumptions being made and accusations leveled.

I also see nothing wrong with the observation about needing an SSH tunnel to upload media to an application server. For the OP it was something that wasnt immediately clear to him. It might not be obvious to someone else who comes across this thread after searching on plex.

• lol open proxy check plox

• @seaeagle said:
    Im confused by this thread.

I also see nothing wrong with the observation about needing an SSH tunnel to upload media to an application server. For the OP it was something that wasnt immediately clear to him. It might not be obvious to someone else who comes across this thread after searching on plex.

Fake news

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited December 2017

@seaeagle said:
    Im confused by this thread.

What? Have you bothered to read the entire thread?

Let me clear up some posts that may have been confusing if you didn't read everything.

@WSS said:
    Bitch a bit more about not knowing what you're doing, and then not offering to pay for people who were more than willing to assist, and somehow turning that into a new complaint.

WSS is talking about @painfreepc's other thread which is asking for help, and in that thread he demonstrates no effort to find the solution himself. This is what @painfreepc is being critisized for, not this thread.

This ties into something said by @Farish later:

@painfreepc's posts are received in hostility, as he tries to ignore and make himself seem like he's superior (as shown in his post about the SSH tunnel.)

Farish points out that he should've known about the need to set up a SSH tunnel. Unless you say otherwise, this is what the community assumed as well. After all, this forum is all about system administration and hoarding virtual servers :)

We wouldn't be so annoyed and/or pissed at him if he didn't talk with such arrogance.

Here are a few of his insults to someone/the community for the lolz:

I ask for help with one line of code in another post, ( i used iptables, i no need help with the script) and i get A-Holes replys and comments from you.

• A-Holes? Their replies were more than justified.

• Love it. A-Hole is a favourite now, eh?

Thank you very much for your help and advice at least more than a few people on this forum are not totally a-holes.

• We're all assholes, aren't we?

sorry I post a easy to follow tutorial, I know that goes against what all you tech geeks stand for..

• Read the last part of my post.

Posts showing misinformation and/or ignorance:

Interesting security how many big companies have been the news in the last year for getting hacked where were their experts..

• Experts are great and all, but they're generally outnumbered and they can only do so much.

Posts that were just stupid:

Any of you that have stumbled upon this page,
    are you reading this, these Tech geeks don't want you sticking your nose into their world, we are the reason why there so many cyber attacks around the world and all our credit information and personal information is being put out there to the public, it's your fault because you dare to run a web server are media server at home, it's your f****** fault. If you've ever wondered why most technical tutorials are written like one geek talking to another geek, well now you know why

• Us tech "geeks" have been trying to lower the barrier of entry for years now. Why do you think so many articles are available online detailing basic security practices and command line usage?
  • @FlamesRunner said:

Let me clear up some posts that may have been confusing if you didn't read everything.

So let me get something straight.

You now want to spray on me because people are dragging shit in from other posts/threads/drama/popcorn to this thread without reference to the original whatever. So to answer your question - yes I did read the entire thread. If you/others want to drag up other shit and not reference it confusion will result. Which is pretty much what I wrote. Nice of you to quote back what I wrote without actually reading it...

So there is backstory. Fine. You've explained that now. Move on.

• @seaeagle said:

@FlamesRunner said:

So let me get something straight.

You now want to spray on me because people are dragging shit in from other posts/threads/drama/popcorn to this thread without reference to the original whatever. So to answer your question - yes I did read the entire thread. If you/others want to drag up other shit and not reference it confusion will result. Which is pretty much what I wrote. Nice of you to quote back what I wrote without actually reading it...

So there is backstory. Fine. You've explained that now. Move on.

You should have done your research. People here are expected to spend at least 3h per day reading up on the latest drama. See: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/91400/lowendtalk-community-rules

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • I got my $1/month Plex VPS server up and running in less than 2 hours.
    This server serve 8TB of media of around 10,776 1080p TV Episodes and 2,444 1080p movies and capable of up to 2 transcode. All within $1/month running cost.

Piece of cake.

tv shows
    movies

For those who are not techie, you do know that you have to pay it one way or another. Pay it with your time to learn basic Linux/server skill or pay someone else to do it for you or pay a VPS provider that provides one-click/managed PLEX install.

LET community here is helpful enough to answer your questions but you still need to do your part. Don't misunderstand this with thinking they will do everything you ask and you don't even want to Google.

• @jamuja said:
    I got my $1/month Plex VPS server up and running in less than 2 hours.
    This server serve 8TB of media of around 10,776 1080p TV Episodes and 2,444 1080p movies and capable of up to 2 transcode. All within $1/month running cost.

Either you got an insane deal or your provider is booting you out next week.

• @Nekki said:

@jamuja said:
    I got my $1/month Plex VPS server up and running in less than 2 hours.

Either you got an insane deal or your provider is booting you out next week.

Nah mate, it is a standard deal. my VPS load is around 15% average of CPU usage. Transcode is a bitch though.
    they won't boot me for the foreseeable future, I have been running this for almost 2 years

• jamuja said: Nah mate, it is a standard deal. my VPS load is around 15% average of CPU usage. Transcode is a bitch though. they won't boot me for the foreseeable future, I have been running this for almost 2 years

Where are you getting 2k of passmark from for $1?

• @Nekki said:

jamuja said: Nah mate, it is a standard deal. my VPS load is around 15% average of CPU usage. Transcode is a bitch though. they won't boot me for the foreseeable future, I have been running this for almost 2 years

Where are you getting 2k of passmark from for $1?

2K passmark is only a guideline. I doubt I get 2K passmark but the 1 vCPU is from fairly speedy recent high end CPU. It is all about tuning and media selection. Many ways to reach Rome. Plus I gather that I am in an idle node, my neighbors aren't that many and they dont seem to use the VPS... few times I maxed out the network speed just see if I can.
    with just that 1 vCPU, I can transcode 2 720p ~900Kbps for mobile phone media consumption. 1 1080p transcode consume about 50-60% of CPU load.

But again, in all 5 years or so I'm running Plex server, I needed transcoding only a handful of time as I custom rip some of my media.

• edited December 2017

jamuja said: I got my $1/month Plex VPS server up and running ... serve 8TB of media ... within $1/month running cost.

Where can I sign up for 8TB of storage for $1/mo?

• @rajprakash said:

jamuja said: I got my $1/month Plex VPS server up and running ... serve 8TB of media ... within $1/month running cost.

Digital Ocean.

• @rajprakash said:

There is a huge difference between serving 8TB of media, and storing 8TB of storage. One is bandwidth measurements, and the other one is storage measurements.

• I Canceled The Server, so if you want it start looking for it to return to stock,
    way to slow for my needs..

• @dedipromo said:
    Even a KS 1 should be enough for handling 2-3 concurrent streaming...

Correct, but location matters too. If Canada for US based users, then meh gets it done. If France for US based users, well 1 will struggle as is.