Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PLEX Server - Supermicro 6-bay Opteron 1385 8GB - Is This To Slow?? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PLEX Server - Supermicro 6-bay Opteron 1385 8GB - Is This To Slow??

Comments

• @painfreepc said:

@cvium said:

@painfreepc said:
    For any one that is still on the green side of "tech know how"

I found a great Plex Install tutorial that's newbie friendly,

Very few sites say any thing about the SSH Tunnel:

Plex Media Server on Minimal Centos 6.5
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/132843/plex-media-server-on-minimal-centos-6-5

Setting up an SSH Tunnel for Plex 
    https://plaza.quickbox.io/t/setting-up-an-ssh-tunnel-for-plex/135

It's literally in their own documentation... https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200288586-Installation

It's literally not newbie friendly, a lot a saying to do something without saying how,

You Have a nice day..

Damn them for expecting you to have basic system administration knowledge before you try to install an application on a server.

• Subscribed.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited December 2017

cvium said: iterally

@Nekki said:

@painfreepc said:

@cvium said:

@painfreepc said:
    For any one that is still on the green side of "tech know how"

I found a great Plex Install tutorial that's newbie friendly,

Very few sites say any thing about the SSH Tunnel:

Plex Media Server on Minimal Centos 6.5
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/132843/plex-media-server-on-minimal-centos-6-5

Setting up an SSH Tunnel for Plex 
    https://plaza.quickbox.io/t/setting-up-an-ssh-tunnel-for-plex/135

It's literally in their own documentation... https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200288586-Installation

It's literally not newbie friendly, a lot a saying to do something without saying how,

You Have a nice day..

Damn them for expecting you to have basic system administration knowledge before you try to install an application on a server.

I posted a link for people that have very little system administration knowledge,
    so what is your fucking point, are you mad are you upset..

one need not be a GD tech geek to install a plex server,

sorry I post a easy to follow tutorial, I know that goes against what all you tech geeks stand for..

• painfreepc said: I posted a link for people that have very little system administration knowledge, so what is your fucking point, are you mad are you upset..

I'm not mad, why would you think I'm mad? Because I made fun of you? Nah, I do that because it amuses me - it's the very opposite of mad!

Anyway; folks with very little system administration knowledge shouldn't be installing applications on servers without at least learning the basics of their chosen OS first; tutorials like that just have people executing shit without a clue what they're doing. It discourages proper learning and sets folks up to fail because the next time they want to do something, they blindly follow a set of instructions and nuke their system because they didn't understand. That's my fucking point.

Thanked by 2trewq Maounique
  • Any takers on how long before the server gets hacked or hit with a DMCA notice because of something not configured right?

• @painfreepc said: one need not be a GD tech geek to install a plex server,

There is always Plex Cloud for those who don't want to deal with the hassles. And how is your tutorial any easier than the official Plex documentation?

• Fucking tech geeks.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @mksh said:
    Fucking tech geeks.

pay $4.99 per mo to run plex in the cloud plus cost

of storage in a server i have no control over - No Thanks

(plex cloud $4.99 + google drive $9.99 for one TB)

• @painfreepc said:

mksh said:
    Fucking tech geeks.

Well, if you want control over your server you have to get your sysadmin chops sorted. Otherwise someone will take control of your server sooner or later. Specially if its a media server. Don't whine when they do bad things from your server and the cops knock on your door.

Else leave it to the experts.

• @saibal said:

@painfreepc said:

mksh said:
    Fucking tech geeks.

Well, if you want control over your server you have to get your sysadmin chops sorted. Otherwise someone will take control of your server sooner or later. Specially if its a media server. Don't whine when they do bad things from your server and the cops knock on your door.

Interesting security how many big companies have been the news in the last year for getting hacked where were their experts..

• @painfreepc said: where were their experts..

They were busy looking for and patching other vulnerabilities that were not exploited.

Having security experts doesn't make your system invincible. All systems have their vulnerabilities. Experts can reduce and mitigate risks in systems. Copy pasting commands doesn't alleviate those.

• Just pay netflix and or hulu.

• Without transcode you could get away with a single core vps with 512mb ram. Its the transcoding that'll get you.

• @painfreepc said:

@saibal said:

@painfreepc said:

mksh said:
    Fucking tech geeks.

Interesting security how many big companies have been the news in the last year for getting hacked where were their experts..

There is a difference between companies that are constantly under attack by hackers and foreign entities versus an unsecured server that got hit by a botnet because the sysadmin didn't know what they were doing.

Thanked by 2WSS maverickp
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2017

Farish said: There is a difference between companies that are constantly under attack by hackers and foreign entities versus an unsecured server that got hit by a botnet because the sysadmin didn't know what they were doing.

Yes and no. Leaving the root password blank and the account accessible might be the work of an expert that knows what they are doing, but...
    Anyone can make a mistake, and when you have 20 experts, you can have 20 mistakes, it is the QA which makes the difference. One of those mistakes might bring down half of the world internet, if those experts work at AWS.
    Yes, painfreepc, I am sorry to say, but people like you are the majority of our problems, malicious users do not really manage to sign up, but abandoned servers and experts which know how to copy and paste in putty we have aplenty.

Thanked by 1beagle
  • This guy reminds me of the guy you meet in town who "is into tech" and he replies "I attended ITT Tech and Devry for my degree in cybersecurity" (know 2 guys like this, one guy is a janitor in the meantime)

edited December 2017

Any of you that have stumbled upon this page,

are you reading this, these Tech geeks don't want you sticking your nose into their world,

we are the reason why there so many cyber attacks around the world and all our credit information

and personal information is being put out there to the public,

it's your fault because you dare to run a web server are media server at home, it's your f****** fault.

If you've ever wondered why most technical tutorials are written like one geek talking to another geek, well now you know why..

• Bro, u mad?

Thanked by 1WSS
  • painfreepc said: If you've ever wondered why most technical tutorials are written like one geek talking to another geek, well now you know why..

You know that most people look at a tutorial and say 'well, I don't understand that bit and this bit, so I'm going to learn about them so I can carry on', right?

I'm sorry you want a quick fix to all your problems, and I'm sorry you have no interest in learning about system administration, I really am. There is no scenario where learning these things won't be beneficial to your future endeavours, so it's a real shame you won't make the effort.

If you think you're going to get any sympathy from folks here, you're barking up the wrong tree - most folks here have dedicated most of their professional life and/or a massive portion of their spare time to learn and master system administration, networking, 'cyber' security etc. If you can't be bothered to learn even the basics, no-one is going to help you, or give you even a hint of sympathy.

Thanked by 4WSS beagle Yura sureiam
    edited December 2017

@Nekki said:

painfreepc said: If you've ever wondered why most technical tutorials are written like one geek talking to another geek, well now you know why..

You know that most people look at a tutorial and say 'well, I don't understand that bit and this bit, so I'm going to learn about them so I can carry on', right?

I'm sorry you want a quick fix to all your problems, and I'm sorry you have no interest in learning about system administration, I really am. There is no scenario where learning these things won't be beneficial to your future endeavours, so it's a real shame you won't make the effort.

If you think you're going to get any sympathy from folks here, you're barking up the wrong tree - most folks here have dedicated most of their professional life and/or a massive portion of their spare time to learn and master system administration, networking, 'cyber' security etc. If you can't be bothered to learn even the basics, no-one is going to help you, or give you even a hint of sympathy.

You totally misunderstand where I'm coming from I am trying to learn system administration

In fact the new server I got on Black Friday I am installing everything by command line I have not installed VestaCP or Webmin,

I have not reached cybertech geek yet in no way shape or form, but I do know some basics,

The plex server for example, I do know not to add media to public accessible folders,

Not to give the plex user any root privileges,

I do know for example within the tutorial that I posted, that all those ports that he open for Plax should not be accessible to the outside Network, I am not totally ignorant of network protocols,

My problem with tech tutorials, why are they written to make people that are totally green to Tech feel like they're totally stupid,

For example why would somebody make a plex server tutorial, but never even mentioned that you need to open up an SSH tunnel so you can add media to to server.

And before I forget why does damn near every tutorial always tell you to open up Vi text editor, why is it almost no one mentions to install Nano.

• @painfreepc said:

You totally misunderstand where I'm coming from I am trying to learn system administration

In fact the new server I got on Black Friday I am installing everything by command line I have not installed VestaCP or Webmin,

I have not reached cybertech geek yet in no way shape or form, but I do know some basics,

The plex server for example, I do know not to add media to public accessible folders,

Not to give the plex user any root privileges,

I do know for example within the tutorial that I posted, that all those ports that he open for Plax should not be accessible to the outside Network, I am not totally ignorant of network protocols,

My problem with tech tutorials, why are they written to make people that are totally green to Tech feel like they're totally stupid,

For example why would somebody make a plex server tutorial, but never even mentioned that you need to open up an SSH tunnel so you can add media to to server.

And before I forget why does damn near every tutorial always tell you to open up VI text editor why is it almost no one mentions to install Nano.

I don’t misunderstand you at all. You’re either lazy, or just can’t troubleshoot your way out of a paper bag. Your comments make it sound much more like the former.

Your last sentence speaks volumes about your attitude.

Have a good life.

• @painfreepc said:
    And before I forget why does damn near every tutorial always tell you to open up Vi text editor, why is it almost no one mentions to install Nano.

Because it's safe to assume even the most borderline retarded readers know it's a text editor and even if it's the defacto default editor the box won't explode just because another one is used and they should figured out beforehand what works for them. Terminal based text editors is something you are going to use allmost 24/7. If someone does not care enough to try a couple to see which one works best for him there will be worse problems than tutorials not mentioning nano.

Also why give nano a special treatment? I use mcedit. This is discrimination.

• painfreepc said: And before I forget why does damn near every tutorial always tell you to open up Vi text editor, why is it almost no one mentions to install Nano.

pico is better

painfreepc said: I am installing everything by command line I have not installed VestaCP or Webmin,

Kloxo

• @doughmanes said:

painfreepc said: And before I forget why does damn near every tutorial always tell you to open up Vi text editor, why is it almost no one mentions to install Nano.

pico is better

Only if you alias it to force-enable wordwrap.

• too* , somebody fix that in the title . The OCD is coming again, oh no... NOOOOOO!

• painfreepc said: I do know for example within the tutorial that I posted, that all those ports that he open for Plax should not be accessible to the outside Network, I am not totally ignorant of network protocols,

Huh what?????!!!!

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @Farish said:

painfreepc said: I do know for example within the tutorial that I posted, that all those ports that he open for Plax should not be accessible to the outside Network, I am not totally ignorant of network protocols,

Huh what?????!!!!

If your PLEX server is running on a home network, and you will never stream to a device outside your home network, why would you open port 32400 on your home router,

but you already know this - right, you just feel the need to be a tech geek A-Hole..

• @painfreepc said:
    but you already know this - right, you just feel the need to be a tech geek A-Hole..

If all you are here to do is beg for free help and bitch about your peers, there are plenty of other forums that you can do that.

edited December 2017

why not read the post, I did not ask for free help.

got to love the class clown..

• @painfreepc said:
    why not read the post dick head, I did not ask for free help.

No, that's just every other thread after someone gives you a solution but takes 3 minutes of work to adapt to your needs. This one is just a "IMMA RAGEQUIT", followed by "RENEWING".

The internet is not your friend. Perhaps you should take up crack.

Thanked by 2Nekki vish