Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Post-BF: How to name all these boxes? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Post-BF: How to name all these boxes?

13»

Comments

• why do you want to name them? just shutdown and let them idle

• @southy said:

@kassle said:
    how about let user naming ? (duplicate with @Hxxx)

angstrom, brueggus, cpsd, doghouch, emperor, ... yes there will be WSS too

No, I don't want to know what you're keepig on the @WSS - box.

not pig but clearly a dick

@alilet said:
    why do you want to name them? just shutdown and let them idle

dunno how to keep them in both state

shutdown = die
    idle = still kickin alive

• Beefyvm

• Random, but if I want to get them orderly, $providerdomain-$yy-$mm-$dd where the date is the day of ordering.

• @ricardo said:
    Random, but if I want to get them orderly, $providerdomain-$yy-$mm-$dd where the date is the day of ordering.

This is not a class about theory. This is real shit, with real VPS idling away the $$ we spent like idiots.

Thanked by 2WSS raindog308
  • cheapwebdev said: about theory

Then toomuchtimeonyourhands.vm1.001

• @mfs said:

depricated said: Similarly, how do you keep track of passwords?

I don't, keys/keepassxc db synced with syncthing across various devices/nitrokey cover all the scenarios

I use KeepassXC too. Do you use AutoType with multiple accounts of the same type? (eg. cPanel, CMS) How do you name them?

• mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited November 2017

depricated said: AutoType with multiple accounts of the same type

KeePassHttp-Connector offers a drop-down menu if multiple accounts are relevant @ the same URL; the title accompanying the user name may be descriptive of the account like e.g. [email protected] (Emma's pics) , [email protected] (Irish scatology studies) and so on and so forth

• @mfs said:

souen said: de4 on the list, no de3 = de3 no longer exists (cancelled, etc.)

Occasionally, I may reuse a server name if it's from the same provider, has the same
    location and is a drop-in replacement

and here the two Weltanschauung collide: you first are about to use a "static" approach, defined by infrastructure only, then you start blending in a "dynamic" approach, where you consider somehow the box role too. Maybe the box-formerly-known-as-de3 was a kvm box running centos and hosted emma's pics, then you dismiss the box and some six months later you get another box @ the same provider with the same virtualization type, same specs, and in the same location but devoted to nude dwarves pics; so you'll start wondering "does it fall within my own definition of drop-in replacement?"

In the meanwhile you open a new node @ a different provider, different city yet same country and here you run debian on openvz; here you put all the emma's pics harvested during CM

So, now you're thorn: which one of two boxes is the acceptable "drop-in replacement"? This dilemma won't bother you if you name them germanemmapic, clownfetishinberlin and falkensteinsupportsemmaagain ; awful to see yet pretty unique to you and fast to memorize (and to type, imho)

but hey each one has its own workflow, I've been a long-time resident in OCD-ville (from disks/nets/boxes naming schemes to mp3s/flacs/m4as tagging) and eventually I gave up on it entirely

• Same provider/specs/location = have same id, regardless of content. Role change is a good question, usually I don't change the id, but add a note what applications were added/moved. If you regularly juggle services around, it would be better to track these changes on a wiki, potentially as part of ops docs.

• Different provider/node/location = different id, note that x content was migrated to this box.

Indeed, to each his own. :) At some point, even with a naming convention that will scale well, a lot of people aren't going to memorise the names of all the boxes and the services running on each. Being able to effectively tag and search that info would be a better approach imho, and it wouldn't really matter what name you use (though clownfetishinberlin sounds more fun than do-lon-1).

• @ricardo said:
    Random, but if I want to get them orderly, $providerdomain-$yy-$mm-$dd where the date is the day of ordering.

And hope there won't be multiple Black Friday casualties at the same provider. :)

• @MrPsycho said:
    This Black Friday I started naming my servers as The Hobbit characters. Works great.

Gandalf, Bilbo, Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Bofur, Bombur, Fili, Kili, Oin, Gloin etc.

I do exactly the same

• @kassle said:

@southy said:

@kassle said:
    how about let user naming ? (duplicate with @Hxxx)

angstrom, brueggus, cpsd, doghouch, emperor, ... yes there will be WSS too

No, I don't want to know what you're keepig on the @WSS - box.

not pig but clearly a dick

@alilet said:
    why do you want to name them? just shutdown and let them idle

dunno how to keep them in both state

shutdown = die
    idle = still kickin alive

Schrödinger's VPS

Thanked by 3WSS kassle southy