Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Post-BF: How to name all these boxes? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Post-BF: How to name all these boxes?

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Naming boxes is easy:

1. What is the first name that comes to you for that box?

2. Name it that. It will always be the first name that comes to you.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @raindog308 said:
    Naming boxes is easy:

1. What is the first name that comes to you for that box?
    2. Name it that. It will always be the first name that comes to you.

savoryfecalpie is not the best for when other people see it.. or forbid you need maintenance. D:

• southysouthy Member
    edited November 2017

Nice read, thx.
    But I guess I'm not "cloudy" enough to go with it.
    I prefer to know my equipment upclose and personal :-)

Then again I don't have that much anyway.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited November 2017

Use my naming scheme:

(country code)(# of VPS in location)-(city code).dawgy.pw

So an example would be:

us-sea1.example.com

Another would be:

us-dal2.example.com

(The DAL represents Dallas and the two after it represents that the host name is for the second VPS I have in the location.)

• @WSS said:

@shallownorthdakota said:
    I name mine after dead rappers.

what are the specs on biggy and tupac?

Supercomputing cluster?

• @szarka said:

@WSS said:

@shallownorthdakota said:
    I name mine after dead rappers.

what are the specs on biggy and tupac?

Supercomputing cluster?

He said rap though.

• @WSS said:
    He said rap though.

Don't diss the Fat Boys.

• @szarka said:

@WSS said:
    He said rap though.

Don't diss the Fat Boys.

They're like a white version of the beastie boys.

Thanked by 1szarka
  • souensouen Member
    edited November 2017

mfs said:

souen said: [provider initials]-[location]-[number]

I used to include details about the location in A entries but later on I mixed up the geolocation of the providers' HQ with the one of the actual box; also, the numbering scheme can lead to pitfalls if not applied consistently (like, de1 fr1 it1 de2 vs de1 fr2 it3 de4 : "hey I logged into de4 so where's my complimentary de3? who the hell named them this way" "oh wait it was me while drunk")

The server location I add to comments early from the offer description, not from the whois (or I may forget too). Yeah, the numbering should be consistent within each naming method. "de1 fr1" and "de1 fr2" would be two different groups in my usage:

de1 fr1 = first DE server from [provider] and first FR server from [provider]
    de1 fr2 = first DE server from [provider] and second FR server from [provider]
    de4 on the list, no de3 = de3 no longer exists (cancelled, etc.)

Occasionally, I may reuse a server name if it's from the same provider, has the same location and is a drop-in replacement for the previous server with that name, e.g. migrating to another box after the old one is discontinued/lost in disk failure.

• Seeing this synonyms list made me think I have more boxes than I saw these lovely specimens.

• emperoremperor Member
    edited November 2017

I like the virmach naming system. Great names :) More providers need to follow their example. Its simple and you dont have to think for the names, especially during holiday crazy deals.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • dicks1 dicks2 dicks3 dicks4

Thanked by 1vish
  • @emperor said:
    I like the virmach naming system. Great names :) More providers need to follow their example. Its simple and you dont have to think for the names, especially during holiday crazy deals.

I agree. This is almost a good enough reason alone to have a service at VirMach!

For this BF/CM, my naming scheme was simply:

• From Friday through Sunday: bfriday17, bfriday17a, bfriday17b, etc. (The series would begin anew at each provider.)

• On Monday: cmonday17, cmonday17a, cmonday17b, etc. (The series would begin anew at each provider.)

• southysouthy Member
    edited November 2017

@emperor said:
    I like the virmach naming system. Great names :)

What is virmachs system?
    I dont have any boxes there so Inhave no idea.

I find it interesting that the majority of people here seem to tend to rather simple numbering instead of „individual“ names - I would have rotally suspected the contrary.

There seem to be far too many people here buying large quantites of the rather small boxes we have here for business use (which I agree makes individual names mich harder and less attractive) then just for fun :-)
    I did totally expect the opposite.

• @southy said:

@emperor said:
    I like the virmach naming system. Great names :)

What is virmachs system?
    I dont have any boxes there so Inhave no idea.

It has a dictionary of random words that it uses as a prefix, a suffix, and appends '-VM' to it.

I was lucky enough to get InexperiencedWee-VM, and FemaleDelirious-VM on Friday!

• [location]-series[d|o|l|s|k]

d = dedicated
    o = openvz
    l = lxc
    s = shared hosting
    k = kvm

example:
    seattle-000d = first dedicated at seattle
    chicago-005k = fifth kvm at chicago

• @kassle said:
    [location]-series[d|o|l|s|k]

d = dedicated
    o = openvz
    l = lxc
    s = shared hosting
    k = kvm

example:
    seattle-000d = first dedicated at seattle
    chicago-005k = fifth kvm at chicago

How would you name a xen box

• @teamacc said:

@kassle said:

d = dedicated
    i = ios-xr
    c = lxC
    k = kvm
    s = shared hosting

Welp..

• kasslekassle Member
    edited November 2017

@WSS said:

@teamacc said:

@kassle said:

d = dedicated
    i = ios-xr
    c = lxC
    k = kvm
    s = shared hosting

Welp..

damn, markdown ruins my precious.
    i'll go with girls naming scheme then: anna, betty, candice, ... etc

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

WSS said: savoryfecalpie

That's a very memorable name actually

souen said: de4 on the list, no de3 = de3 no longer exists (cancelled, etc.)

Occasionally, I may reuse a server name if it's from the same provider, has the same
    location and is a drop-in replacement

and here the two Weltanschauung collide: you first are about to use a "static" approach, defined by infrastructure only, then you start blending in a "dynamic" approach, where you consider somehow the box role too. Maybe the box-formerly-known-as-de3 was a kvm box running centos and hosted emma's pics, then you dismiss the box and some six months later you get another box @ the same provider with the same virtualization type, same specs, and in the same location but devoted to nude dwarves pics; so you'll start wondering "does it fall within my own definition of drop-in replacement?"

In the meanwhile you open a new node @ a different provider, different city yet same country and here you run debian on openvz; here you put all the emma's pics harvested during CM

So, now you're thorn: which one of two boxes is the acceptable "drop-in replacement"? This dilemma won't bother you if you name them germanemmapic, clownfetishinberlin and falkensteinsupportsemmaagain ; awful to see yet pretty unique to you and fast to memorize (and to type, imho)

but hey each one has its own workflow, I've been a long-time resident in OCD-ville (from disks/nets/boxes naming schemes to mp3s/flacs/m4as tagging) and eventually I gave up on it entirely

• I use the names of the founders of LET. For example: @Nekki .tentacles.org @WSS .vpshoarder.org , etc. You get it.

Thanked by 1kassle
  • emmawatson01 emmawatson02 emmawatson03...

Thanked by 3WSS Nekki terrahost
  • kasslekassle Member
    edited November 2017

how about let user naming ? (duplicate with @Hxxx)

angstrom, brueggus, cpsd, doghouch, emperor, ... yes there will be WSS too

• mmuyskensmmuyskens Member, Host Rep

I use to name all my boxes after chicks I've fucked... got too difficult, so now we go with random colors. I do, however, still have one named after the current chick that is due for a hostname change.

• @mmuyskens said:
    I use to name all my boxes after chicks I've fucked... got too difficult, so now we go with random colors. I do, however, still have one named after the current chick that is due for a hostname change.

Have you bothered to tell your cousin she's dumped yet?

Thanked by 1Nekki

@WSS said:

@mmuyskens said:

Have you bothered to tell your cousin she's dumped yet?

I don't even know how to reply to this. Nicely done lol.

• Similarly, how do you keep track of passwords? From a given provider there might be multiple servers, and on each server: one or more cPanel accounts, each with maybe multiple CMS accounts, each with emails, etc. A potentially big tree of credentials.

I assume most use password managers. Still, naming and handling multiple accounts of the same type might get tricky.

@depricated said:
    Similarly, how do you keep track of passwords? From a given provider there might be multiple servers, and on each server: one or more cPanel accounts, each with maybe multiple CMS accounts, each with emails, etc. A potentially big tree of credentials.

I assume most use password managers. Still, naming and handling multiple accounts of the same type might get tricky.

LastPass with 2FA, and keys.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

depricated said: Similarly, how do you keep track of passwords?

I don't, keys/keepassxc db synced with syncthing across various devices/nitrokey cover all the scenarios

• @kassle said:
    how about let user naming ? (duplicate with @Hxxx)

angstrom, brueggus, cpsd, doghouch, emperor, ... yes there will be WSS too

No, I don't want to know what you're keepig on the @WSS - box.