Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another French budget dedi provider! FirstHeberg - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Another French budget dedi provider! FirstHeberg

Comments

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2013

I'm getting:
    "Page Introuvable" on both links in the OP.

• @FtpIt_Radi said:
    I'm getting:
    "Page Introuvable" on both links in the OP.

They redesigned their website last month so the page links have changed since the OP was posted.

there is no China、USA....in the country choice list

USA is in the list (Etats-Unis)

• woochunwoochun Member
    edited October 2013

Indeed,Etats-Unis is USA.How about China?

@DomainBop said:
    USA is in the list (Etats-Unis)

• no China, but for countries not listed, just chose "Tatooine" and proceed further. Adress and city field are not important. They can be filled with whatever.

• woochunwoochun Member
    edited October 2013

Ok,thanks for help:)

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited October 2013

@abravo said:
    no China, but for countries not listed, just chose "Tatooine" and proceed further. Adress and city field are not important. They can be filled with whatever.

Dont they have some kind of IP location check?

Tatooine, as in planet Tatooine of Star Wars? :O

• how much bandwidth they give?

• It's nice to find a host that does not discriminate against my kind. I hope my order is processed quickly.

Does their ordering process and options remind anyone else of OVH?

• Competitive pricing for sure, but they seem to be fairly short on stock? Understandble when they're a start up. Good luck to them.

• @joelgm:

IP location check? I noticed none. I first created a test (fake) account, so to test things out, and I picked "Tatooine", yep like the planet, and a random address and also phone number. I got the account creation confirmation, and a working profile.
    What matters are CC data for buying services.
    But ok, after that I created a "real account" and have ordered a server.

@nunim:
    CC payment validated at once on my side today, but server allocation seems to be manual, so I wait until tomorrow, they are closed week-ends like every cheap non-managed hoster (hetzner, ovh, etc). I will also mail/call to have VAT off, as I'm not EU.

I was looking for a KIMSUFI alternative, online.net is sold out for what I need.
    They look good, they are in a datacenter by a small provincial technopole in northern France. So, we'll see, but for the price absolutely worth a try.

edited October 2013

@abravo said:
    server allocation seems to be manual, so I wait until tomorrow, they are closed week-ends like every cheap non-managed hoster (hetzner, ovh, etc).

Interesting. Let us know how it goes.

I will also mail/call to have VAT off, as I'm not EU.

I hope they dont ask you documents to verify that you're from Tatooine!

@nunim said:
    It's nice to find a host that does not discriminate against my kind.

What do you mean 'your kind'?

@jcaleb said:
    how much bandwidth they give?

I believe it's a shared 100Mbit port with 10Mbit guaranteed connection, as much as you can manage on that. It's not much, but oddly, the network download speed tests resemble OVH's tests.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2013

the network download speed tests resemble OVH's tests.

Download is pretty fast, but upload is much much worse than OVH.
    Network is not their strong point. They write on their website they only have 2 Gbit for the whole DC:

• 1 Datacenter situé à Valenciennes, au nord de la France
    • 2 x 1 Gb/s de bande passante

Compared to someone like i3d http://www.i3d.net/network/ who list 40-50 Gbit connections to various IXes and 225 Gbit/sec total capacity, it's certainly "not very impressive" to say the least.

With the price I am paying for a server with these specs, I am not complaining. But if you look for a fast unmetered network, look elsewhere.

• Can we order from India ? Ovh seems to be sold out and I am looking for alternatives.

• @joelgm said:
    Interesting. Let us know how it goes.

well, so I ordered sunday. Their payment gateway with their bank is like OVH, so I was expecting manual billing the next workday, which was the case, the order's status in the customer's panel did switch from red to green monday. Yet no confirmation emails about it and about further processing.
    Today, tuesday, still nothing. I tried to phone but the call couldn't pass, probably because their french 08 number doesn't take foreign incoming calls. They close office at 17:30. I sent an email to tech support and to commercial support ~15:30. But no answers.
    So we'll see tomorrow...

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Every page on their website gives me 'PAGE NOT FOUND'

• @AlexanderM the links in the OP are old, I think the updated ones are a few posts down

edited October 2013

Can anyone who's a current customer of theirs, ask about the current status of implementing IPv6? I don't want to bother them too often (ticketed twice already), neither I want to create an impression that I am the only one among their customer base who cares about IPv6...

edited October 2013

@rm_ said:
    Can anyone who's a current customer of theirs, ask about the current status of implementing IPv6?

I already got a block allocated

I already got a block allocated

Hey there, thanks; I wonder since how long ago? And what size of the block?

• 2^80. It's a /48. It's been there since I bought the Dedibox Classic the day you posted this. :)

2^80. It's a /48. It's been there since I bought the Dedibox Classic the day you posted this. :)

What dedibox classic? This thread is about https://www.firstheberg.com/ , not online.net.

• @rm_ said:
    What dedibox classic? This thread is about https://www.firstheberg.com/ , not online.net.

Crap. Forget I opened my mouth.

• @rm_ said:
    Sooooo, it looks like I got myself a new dedi now!
    I chose http://firstheberg.com/dedies/detail-core-i3-2100-hdd-2012
    Thanks YellowSloth for finding this provider.

You still have that dedi? How was it?

edited January 2014

@rmlhhd it's okay, the weakest point is the network speed, as mentioned above. And it's bizzare, can be hundreds of megabits to some destinations, less than 10 Mbit to others. I am cancelling it next month as there are now better options from OneProvider, online.net and i3d (all with vastly better network speeds).

Another downside at FirstHeberg is the lack of free KVM/IPMI, and the need to manually post a ticket each time you pay for them to remove EU VAT (or actually recalculate the expiration date).

Wanted to transfer my server, sell it here to someone (as they currently don't have that model in stock), but alas, no such function in their system, they "will ask the development team" to implement it.

Also still no IPv6 despite it being promised as coming soon for a very long time now.

• @rm_ said:
    rmlhhd it's okay, the weakest point is the network speed, as mentioned above. And it's bizzare, can be hundreds of megabits to some destinations, less than 10 Mbit to others. I am cancelling it next month as there are now better options from OneProvider, online.net and i3d (all with vastly better network speeds).

Another downside at FirstHeberg is the lack of free KVM/IPMI, and the need to manually post a ticket each time you pay for them to remove EU VAT (or actually recalculate the expiration date).

Wanted to transfer my server, sell it here to someone (as they currently don't have that model in stock), but alas, no such function in their system, they "will ask the development team" to implement it.

Also still no IPv6 despite it being promised as coming soon for a very long time now.

Thanks for the info, I ordered one a few hours ago. I knew it was out of stock, hope they get more soon.

• @rmlhhd said:
    Thanks for the info, I ordered one a few hours ago. I knew it was out of stock, hope they get more soon.

Out of stock (In my experience) takes 1-4 days.

I have 2 servers with them.

• @jeffreywinters said:
    I have 2 servers with them.

Thanks, they seem to be active on Twitter so I've tweeted them to find out when more stock is coming.

• I have a server with them, one of their 12,99€ Atom on 4GB ram and 2x500GB disks.
    The reason I went there is that kimsufi was then out of stock and online.net didn't have a similar price with 2 disks. Now kimsufi sells similar settings (2x500 disks), but firstheberg is good because relatively cheap additional IPs (v4) but kimsufi sells no extra IP. Network had some moments of instability with some slow peaks, back in oct./nov I was about to cancel because ftp upload was stalling sometimes. But it became better. It's a small business, and because that (here my feeling) they didn't get the level of priority service from the telcos that big players have (and some big players are themselves telco...). In one occasion they ordered replacement of faulty switches, but delivery was delayed, on another occasion a fiber upgrade was delayed by the telco. Things like that. But one gets to know when reading the forums (in french). Communication with one of the main admins (and boss it seems) was quite good. Again, sometimes through the forum not the ticket service. So for reliability and speed of service they are no good, but not that much different than the big cheap dedi players (OVH, Online).
    As rm_ told, they don't compute VAT for non-EU customers, on the monthly price, but by adding the prorated rental period.
    All in all, I'm satisfied and keep the box.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @abravo said:
    I have a server with them, one of their 12,99€ Atom on 4GB ram and 2x500GB disks.
    The reason I went there is that kimsufi was then out of stock and online.net didn't have a similar price with 2 disks. Now kimsufi sells similar settings (2x500 disks), but firstheberg is good because relatively cheap additional IPs (v4) but kimsufi sells no extra IP. Network had some moments of instability with some slow peaks, back in oct./nov I was about to cancel because ftp upload was stalling sometimes. But it became better. It's a small business, and because that (here my feeling) they didn't get the level of priority service from the telcos that big players have (and some big players are themselves telco...). In one occasion they ordered replacement of faulty switches, but delivery was delayed, on another occasion a fiber upgrade was delayed by the telco. Things like that. But one gets to know when reading the forums (in french). Communication with one of the main admins (and boss it seems) was quite good. Again, sometimes through the forum not the ticket service. So for reliability and speed of service they are no good, but not that much different than the big cheap dedi players (OVH, Online).
    As rm_ told, they don't compute VAT for non-EU customers, on the monthly price, but by adding the prorated rental period.
    All in all, I'm satisfied and keep the box.

Thanks for that information. Can you access their forum?

I get:

"Access to this site has been rejected because your IP is blacklisted."