Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Notebook recommendation (Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 12.5) - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Notebook recommendation (Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 12.5)

13»

Comments

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited November 2017

I think I am gonna go with x22.

What about Asus ZenBook series ? Any though ? It looks nice. How does it perform ?

Or Asus VivoBook series.

• @yokowasis said:

Good to know. I am all about keyboard. I am fine totally fine with 1366 x 768 resolution. Or 10" screen. But I can't stand bad keyboard. I will scratch Xiaomi on my list.

the x220, t420, w520 (2011 Thinkpads ) were the last to feature the fabulous 7 row keyboard.

Also, they come with Gigabit Intel Ethernet, no rubbish realtek.

• Just bought a used x220 for $200. For better or for worse.

• @WSS said:

@flatland_spider said:
    Dell Latitude and Precisions lines have it as a option, which most people check, and HP EliteBooks have it apparently.

Yep. Got one on the ancient C2D Elitebook, but Not On the P4M Latitude that predates our country. I don't recall any possible "No" checkbox for the Dell; perhaps that's new.

>

It's a keyboard versus an "Internal Dual Pointing keyboard" with the option of a back light. It's not there right now, but it really is a REAL option. I PROMISE I'm not making this up! I've seen it with my own eyes! It's not there now, but it was there. :D

I haven't been in charge of buying equipment for a few years now, so they may a streamlined their parts list in the meantime. The configuration options for equipment do fluctuate though.

• Huh. Well, I do remember when I got the 6520 that I was stuck with the backlight. I didn't want that, but over the years I've grown to appreciate it the 3 times I needed it.

• @JustAMacUser said:
    Now iMacs on the other hand seem really expensive to me. As much as I'd like to get one I have difficulty justifying the price tag.

>

For me, it's more the form factor. AIOs don't really do it for me. I like my monitor to be separate.

The Mac Mini does intrigue me since it has an internal power supply while most competitors, NUC, etc., use power bricks.

• @flatland_spider said:
    The Mac Mini does intrigue me since it has an internal power supply while most competitors, NUC, etc., use power bricks.

It's a virtually unupgradable piece of shit. You might as well get one of the Intel Atom based machines, since you can always throw Windows on it and gift it off a year or so later.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @WSS said:
    Huh. Well, I do remember when I got the 6520 that I was stuck with the backlight. I didn't want that, but over the years I've grown to appreciate it the 3 times I needed it.

>

I still miss the amber Thinklight on my Thinkpad R61. If only the Pentium M had PAE. :(

• @WSS said:
    It's a virtually unupgradable piece of shit. You might as well get one of the Intel Atom based machines, since you can always throw Windows on it and gift it off a year or so later.

>

Yes, it is, but it has an internal PSU.

Naw, I'd just add the Atom to my collection of test machines. I do need a little infrastructure server... >_>

• @flatland_spider said:
    Yes, it is, but it has an internal PSU.

• edited November 2017

@WSS said:

>

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited November 2017

@yokowasis said:
    Just bought a used x220 for $200. For better or for worse.

Welcome to the club!

Now start saving up for a genuine Thinkpad 9cell battery for x220 from ebay.
    (Lenovo has done lots of battery recalls in past 3yrs due to batt.pack firmware issues etc , so many retailers have stockpiles of brand-new cells sent from Lenovo. Early 2016 manufacture or later should be your goal.)

and hit the road.

• @flatland_spider said:
    For me, it's more the form factor. AIOs don't really do it for me. I like my monitor to be separate.

Agreed. I really like the Mini. Mine served me well for years with Plex. Now I'm using it as a spare server for a few little things.

@WSS said:

The current units are horrible. I have a 2012 model and it's not only faster but RAM and drives are user serviceable. I've put in a some third party drives (one SSD and another 7200 HDD) and the machine is fast.

It's also nice that everything is built in, as mentioned, and it (at least, my 2012 model) has ports for everything: thunderbolt, HDMI, DVI, analog/digital audio in/out, etc.

• JustAMacUser said:
    The current units are horrible.

Yep.

• @vimalware said:

@yokowasis said:
    Just bought a used x220 for $200. For better or for worse.

Welcome to the club!

Now start saving up for a genuine Thinkpad 9cell battery for x220 from ebay.
    (Lenovo has done lots of battery recalls in past 3yrs due to batt.pack firmware issues etc , so many retailers have stockpiles of brand-new cells sent from Lenovo. Early 2016 manufacture or later should be your goal.)

and hit the road.

Any recommendations where I should buy ? Most of the seller sell fake shit on eBay.

• @yokowasis said:
    Any recommendations where I should buy ? Most of the seller sell fake shit on eBay.

eBay is a hell of a lot more reliable than the cheap shit on Amazon. Get a name-brand battery.

• You could also buy used genuine batteries, open them up, and replace the 18650 cells inside with new ones. It's not too difficult, and as long as you follow basic safety rules you're not too likely to start a fire / blow yourself up / etc. I seem to recall some folks here on LET were into this.

• ..I wouldn't trust too many LET folks with an iron, little alone a soldering iron.

• I have my fair share of ironing

• @Frame said:

@yokowasis said:

@Frame said:
    What's your budget?

$700ish

You should try XPS then, usually are around 999$ but on BF may change

Please do not consider XPS, I mean, at all. I have a 2016 i7 XPS'13. Its screen is no better than alternatives, and it has every flaw that other PC laptops have, say, It merely survived from a standby, and the battery cannot last for 4hr(1 word process, and chrome with 4-5 tabs, no video or audio in play).

XPS is a good laptop, but I personally don't think it's worth the price.

• noisycode said: and the battery cannot last for 4hr

My old XPS 13 with regular use was around 11h, something is probably wrong with yours

• You can also put full hd ips screen on it (x220)