Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Notebook recommendation (Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 12.5) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Notebook recommendation (Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 12.5)

Comments

• WSS said: I stepped on it once when I slipped

How?

• @Frame said:

WSS said: I stepped on it once when I slipped

How?

Your mom.

• @yokowasis said:
    The thing is, macbook is so stand out among others. So I imagine whenever I opened my macbook in front of my colleague they will look at me "wow, this guy have a fucking macbook. How the fuck can he afford a fucking $1000 notebook with a $50 salary a month". See, that's not what I am looking for. I don't want my colleague change their perspective upon me. I am fine, with cheap brand like asus / acer. People will just look at me. "he has a $350 laptop, like most of us. He is normal".

Wow $350 with genuine windows 10 and office. You are rich!! :D

• @WSS said:

@Frame said:

How?

Your mom.

Oh she learned how to escape from the cage...

• @Frame said:

@WSS said:

@Frame said:

How?

Your mom.

Stick around, Kid. @Nekki will be around to introduce you to the crew shortly.

• I heard ‘caged moms’, I’ve got my camcorder and a toaster filled with mayonnaise ready to go.

• @WSS said:

@Frame said:

@WSS said:

@Frame said:

How?

Your mom.

Stick around, Kid. @Nekki will be around to introduce you to the crew shortly.

• This thing looks bulky. You sure it is light ? I don't want to break my back.

@vimalware said:
    buy the size of ssd you need and pop it in a refurbished /used thinkpad x220. Easy to find spares and repair. ($200 max for the machine, without ssd)

plus it's light, in addition to being built like a tank

• seanhoseanho Member
    edited November 2017

.> @yokowasis said:

This thing looks bulky. You sure it is light ? I don't want to break my back.

@vimalware said:
    buy the size of ssd you need and pop it in a refurbished /used thinkpad x220. Easy to find spares and repair. ($200 max for the machine, without ssd)

plus it's light, in addition to being built like a tank

X220 is a 12.5" 1366x768 screen; make sure you're ok with the limited screen real estate. (IPS panel is lovely, though.) It is very light, and you have a selection of batteries (4-cell, 6-cell, 9-cell, slice) to trade off weight for battery life.

It really is a tank, though; mine has been in continual use for 6 years, been dropped, taken traveling, etc. Build quality problems? Oh, the lettering on the keycaps has worn from use, and the keyboard bezel has a hairline crack by the touchpad buttons; that's about it. The CPU fan recently failed, replaced it for $5.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited November 2017

I hate thinkpads.. their keyboard (and trackpad too!) will get oily/shiny look eventually

• seanho said: X220 is a 12.5" 1366x768 screen

Are there any choices for anything slightly better, like 1440x900 at least?

• @Damian said:

seanho said: X220 is a 12.5" 1366x768 screen

Are there any choices for anything slightly better, like 1440x900 at least?

Yeah. It depends on what model you end up with. There is an upgrade plug-in screen designed specifically to fit the same. I had an X200 at 1440x900 at one point.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

@NanoG6 said:
    I hate thinkpads.. their keyboard (and trackpad too!) will get oily/shiny look eventually

My 6 year old Dell is worse than my 6 year old Thinkpad. Hell, it's even shiny above F10/F11. Why, I have no idea. Nothing ever rests there! The keyboard hasn't worn off since it's Keyboard #3. Note the black clitmouse.

I prefer the Latitude, as it's slightly better-built, and although is currently on an older 1TB 5400 spinner, the ThinkPad just has odd issues with Linux occasionally. I've worked around it, but the keyboard back/forward continue to fuck with me. Also, this Latitude 6520 has 1920x1600 but is still a smaller-profile screen than the 17"+ behemoths they were popularizing at the time.

Don't be envious of my tablecloth. I GOTS THE GOLD BITCHES!

• WSS said: , this Latitude 6520 has 1920x1600

That's quite appealing. Is that some sort of weird unicorn one that's 300% higher price on ebay, or are they all that res?

• @Damian said:

WSS said: , this Latitude 6520 has 1920x1600

That's quite appealing. Is that some sort of weird unicorn one that's 300% higher price on ebay, or are they all that res?

It was a custom order from Dell Business, and wasn't cheap at the time.

There are a few different resolutions available, but even the Intel GM graphics can push it just fine. 1920x1080 is a much more common resolution, and should be cheapish. The e6520 and 6520 are the same machine, but the e series came without Windows (but with Windows stickers and COAs)

Thanked by 2Damian vimalware
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

I believe it may only handle 16GB in BIOS, but I'm still rocking 8GB because I am a cheapass and RAMs are expensive. Standard SATA, eSATA, 1394 (lol) HDMI, VGA, USB 2.0, Gig-E, SmartCard, PCI Express x16, and other ports. For a 2011 model, it's still decent, but starting to show it's age.

E: Yep. 16GB max RAMS. Got an aftermarket USB 3 card in the PCIe 54mm port, and it's just spiffy. Not quite max rate, but works just fine.

• with that budget, you should buy a brand new. it will last long enough to hold that 2 ssh window, excel and dozens tab.
    consider Asus. my almost 7 year asus still do great (U series), change the disk to ssd, add more ram, good to go. just the cpu cant change.

or, just dont listen to your friend, buy mac. it worth. check tokopedia, you will find many new/userd mac from 2016-2017 series.

• Buy used Mac Air 13" (2014 late atleast) and everything done.

Thanked by 1flatland_spider
  • I'm using XiaoMi 13.3 in my office, the keyboard is terrible but others are good.

• Wait, a Dell laptop with a clitmouse?! I didn't know any brand outside Thinkpad had that. Is that some sort of custom keyboard or what?

• Pretty much every Latitude I've seen has them.

• @fingon said:
    I'm using XiaoMi 13.3 in my office, the keyboard is terrible but others are good.

Good to know. I am all about keyboard. I am fine totally fine with 1366 x 768 resolution. Or 10" screen. But I can't stand bad keyboard. I will scratch Xiaomi on my list.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @yokowasis said:

@fingon said:
    I'm using XiaoMi 13.3 in my office, the keyboard is terrible but others are good.

Good to know. I am all about keyboard. I am fine totally fine with 1366 x 768 resolution. Or 10" screen. But I can't stand bad keyboard. I will scratch Xiaomi on my list.

I was bought Logi wireless keyboard/mouse(MK365) for more comfortable.
    1920*1080 on 13.3 is terrible too XD

• @im_jmz said:
    clitmouse?!

Hahah.. thanks for the chuckle :))

• pikepike Veteran
    edited November 2017

@corbpie said:
    If you get them second hand or from an education institute they can be very good value

Still no good value + MacBooks are the only piece of hardware I know that's worth to sell after some years because people still go crazy about it.

• @im_jmz said:
    Wait, a Dell laptop with a clitmouse?! I didn't know any brand outside Thinkpad had that. Is that some sort of custom keyboard or what?

>

Dell Latitude and Precisions lines have it as a option, which most people check, and HP EliteBooks have it apparently.

The exception is the Precision twin to the XPS 15. It doesn't have a trackpoint.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • NanoG6 said: Hahah.. thanks for the chuckle :))

It's less of a chuckle when you're in a corporate environment, and you're in a meeting with the female head of IT, and "clitmouse" escapes on auto-pilot.

Thankfully being head of IT this was not foreign to her, but there was a slight pucker immediately afterwards for about 5 seconds.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • @yokowasis said:
    But I am definitely not fine when it is much more expensive than apples. We all know how expensive apples devices is.

>

Apple isn't really that expensive for what you get. Spec for spec and to get the same quality, Windows machines end up costing, at least, just as much, and macOS is a Unix OS which companies will actually write commercial software for.

I'd much rather run Linux or a BSD, and I do, but sometimes I need to run commercial software. macOS also gets really good battery life, which is something Linux and the BSDs struggle with.

• @flatland_spider said:

@im_jmz said:
    Wait, a Dell laptop with a clitmouse?! I didn't know any brand outside Thinkpad had that. Is that some sort of custom keyboard or what?

>

Dell Latitude and Precisions lines have it as a option, which most people check, and HP EliteBooks have it apparently.

Yep. Got one on the ancient C2D Elitebook, but Not On the P4M Latitude that predates our country. I don't recall any possible "No" checkbox for the Dell; perhaps that's new.

• JustAMacUserJustAMacUser Member
    edited November 2017

@flatland_spider said:
    Apple isn't really that expensive for what you get. Spec for spec and to get the same quality, Windows machines end up costing, at least, just as much, and macOS is a Unix OS which companies will actually write commercial software for.

Yeah..Apple's laptops are pretty good (touch bar aside). I have a 12" MacBook that I really like. No moving parts makes it silent, which I prefer. It's not super fast but it's fast enough for what I do.

Now iMacs on the other hand seem really expensive to me. As much as I'd like to get one I have difficulty justifying the price tag.

Thanked by 1WSS