Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anybody used TorGuard before?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anybody used TorGuard before?

So, I'm currently looking into getting a VPN service which I can hopefully use for Netflix as well but overall good browsing speed and downloads across the board. I saw on Reddit about TorGuard and asked a couple of things on their support, they have BF deals:
https://torguard.net/blog/torguard-2017-blackfriday-sale-annoucement/

Now, I wanted to ask if anyone here have used them before? I'd like to know your experience since I don't like using money if it's not good nor if I can't really use it because of bad performance or blacklisted IPs etc.

Thanks

Comments

• I only heard they are not half bad. The ones I use & cam recommend though are NordVPN and Ivacy VPN (Ivacy if you wanna go cheap nord for quality and lots of features).

• Why shared VPN?

IPs are all blocked on every other retailers website, usually blocked on Netflix, Hulu, etc and you share an IP with some crazy shit.

• @maldovia said:
    Why shared VPN?

IPs are all blocked on every other retailers website, usually blocked on Netflix, Hulu, etc and you share an IP with some crazy shit.

Netflix works with nordvpn :)

• Another one for NordVPN, currently using it for netflix myself :)

• @maldovia said:
    Why shared VPN?

I'm actually looking into getting one of their dedicated IP for streaming which I'm not quite sure if it's totally fool-proof aside from the words of some on Reddit. The shared part is for most browse and download parts.

• I'm using TorGuard VPN services since last 3 years, experienced great speed, easy accessible and effective VPN network.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited November 2017

Signed up with TorGuard in 2013 on their $30/yr plan and have been quite satisfied. My main use is their SOCKS proxy for torrents -- I rarely actually use the VPN but everytime I have, it works like a charm.

• CasualCanvasCasualCanvas Member
    edited November 2017

@MasonR said:
    Signed up with TorGuard in 2013 on their $30/yr plan and have been quite satisfied. My main use is their SOCKS proxy for torrents -- I rarely actually use the VPN but everytime I have, it works like a charm.

You get both proxy and vpn?

@CasualCanvas said:

@MasonR said:

Yep. Here's a recent techbargains post for 50% off - https://www.techbargains.com/torguard-vpn-deals#d82872

• @MasonR said:

@CasualCanvas said:

@MasonR said:

Yep. Here's a recent techbargains post for 50% off - https://www.techbargains.com/torguard-vpn-deals#d82872

Thanks, still looking into more reviews and new recommendations.

• I've been using TorGuard basically since they started. Installed on home Tomato routers, AsusMerlin, Windows, Android, and it works with OpenConnect too. You can use the TorGuard software for Stealth out of China very nicely, no problems. It works.

Also, there is a way to tunnel to TorGuard via your personal Shadowsocks server (say an HK or Sing VPS). Fun foolproof stuff, and again, it works.

If you sign up with the half-price yearly promo, (Google it) the 1/2 promo will apply to a dedicated IP service as well. The dedicated IP then works with US Netflix worldwide 24/7. There are even ways to make it work in China.

Great service, terrific staff, nice price.

BTW, I still have multi-year accounts with Nord, Windscribe, and ExpressVPN, (basically just for keeping up with testing for clients) and have many of my own personal VPS VPNs worldwide too (Angristan) but keep going back to TorGuard for easy Netflix and USA access (from anywhere, I'm in Korea tonight).

TorGuard simply works.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited November 2017

Is TorGuard really routing all traffic through TOR? I saw their web site but didn't feel like chewing through all that marketing splash to get a technical answer.

Been a while since I was a hardcore TOR user...is the network really fast enough to stream?

A few years ago there were passionate pleas by TOR creators not to use it for p2p because the network didn't have the throughput...have there been thousands of nodes added since?

edited November 2017

@raindog308 said: Is TorGuard really routing all traffic through TOR?

No. The Tor in Torguard is short for torrent as far as I'm aware. I don't think they have any intermingling with the TOR network.

Edit:
    From their FAQ:

Is TorGuard related in any way to the “tor” project?
    Answer: No, The reference to "tor" in TorGuard relates to "torrents" and guarding one’s privacy when using bitorrent. We are not related in any way to the “tor” project however the company does support through donations.

Thanked by 2raindog308 emg
  • How do I change the Title for my post? I wanted to ask, in addition, about NordVPN as well since both TorGuard and NordVPN is getting on my list to take for VPN. How's the speed?

• Plenty of people here claim Nord is awesome, but to be sure to google for one of their overly-common "50% off" coupons. There's a 52% off coupon somewhere- I saw it yesterday, but not sure where. Neowin, possibly.

• How does their dedicated IP work? Do you just get one IP geolocated to one location but for use on any of their servers?

• I've being using TorGuard since a few months now for downloading and uploading linux ISOs and I get full speed to my 50Mbps home connection. I've also installed the app on my android box and Samsung S7 and it works really well. You also get the possibility to "pin" the IP assigned to you and use it all the time like a dedicated IP for free.

As for Netflix I can't say much about it, but it doesn't work with Amazon Prime videos. They are being blocked.

• @caracal said:
    How does their dedicated IP work? Do you just get one IP geolocated to one location but for use on any of their servers?

When you order your dedicated IP you have to choose your location. All locations are available for this, if I recall.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2017

Don't trust any VPN "company" with your traffic. They make the best honeypots RIAA can have and money can buy anyone.
    That is, if you are only worried about torrenting some movies, not to mention if you need to hide from a regime or another. Best is to make your own server to dial in then pass the traffic over Tor.
    For movies and stuff there are other ways, Kademlia works and is very little monitored from what I saw, but be prepared to get a lot of fakes if you don't know how to navigate it.

• @Maounique said:
    Don't trust any VPN "company" with your traffic. They make the best honeypots RIAA can have and money can buy anyone.
    That is, if you are only worried about torrenting some movies, not to mention if you need to hide from a regime or another. Best is to make your own server to dial in then pass the traffic over Tor.
    For movies and stuff there are other ways, Kademlia works and is very little monitored from what I saw, but be prepared to get a lot of fakes if you don't know how to navigate it.

I'm not going to use it exclusively though I'll be using it sometimes to bypass geo-blocks, netflix and possibly some good routing since my ISP has some really bad routes/connection to some websites.

Thanked by 1ragtop4
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

I've been using TorGuard for about a year now, been great for me. Plus if you set the VPN to OpenConnect it will normally double your internet speed to. Which is pretty cool. I get 80Mbps at home, with OpenConnect I can normally get about 150Mbps or more.

• ^ I already know then 3-year deal for Nord and 2-year for TorGuard (has dedi IP), both are the same pricing. So, it all boils down to reliability and speed for me and getting as much feedback/experience from actual users.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited November 2017

I guess nothing else to say besides that NordVPN just works really stable for me and is adding new features on the way. Such as Cybersec (their web firewall) and recently a chrome extension for encrypted proxy.

• Which of them also tunnel IPv6?

• emgemg Veteran
    edited November 2017

I don't like the way that TorGuard uses "Tor" in their name. They are clearly trying to take advantage of the name recognition of the real Tor.

The Tor Project is a not-for-profit organization with a critical mission. Many people would LOVE to see Tor go away, especially oppressive regimes throughout the world. Because The Tor Project is small and lives on grants and donations, they probably don't have the resources to sue TorGuard for trademark infringement, which is what this is. The following Tor Project web page describes the Tor trademark, and clearly states how the "Tor" name can be used. TorGuard does not qualify. See:

https://www.torproject.org/docs/trademark-faq.html.en

Yes, I understand that TorGuard donates to The Tor Project, but that doesn't excuse their blatant use of "Tor" to mislead customers. Even our own @raindog308 was fooled, and I respect his/her knowledge and experience very much. The Tor Project and TorGuard both offer anonymity services, causing confusion to consumers in the marketplace.

If I were looking for a VPN service, I would not give TorGuard my business, because of their clearly demonstrated lack of integrity by misappropriating the Tor name. If they don't care about bullying a small non-profit with trademark infringement, how can you trust them to protect your sensitive information?

P.S. TorGuard claims that the "Tor" in their name stands for "torrent". I don't believe that it didn't occur to them that there is overlap with The Tor Project, which predates TorGuard's initial domain registration by many years.

• @emg said:
    If they don't care about bullying a small non-profit with trademark infringement, how can you trust them to protect your sensitive information?

Because they use Tor. Duh!

• emgemg Veteran

@WSS said:

Sorry, but no. TorGuard does NOT use Tor. Double Duh to you!

See @MasonR's post above, where he quotes the TorGuard FAQ. In it, TorGuard themselves state: "Is TorGuard related in any way to the “tor” project? Answer: No, [...]"

All they claim is that they DONATE to The Tor Project, nothing more. I wonder if their contribution is large or small?

• @emg said:

@WSS said:

Sorry, but no. TorGuard does NOT use Tor. Double Duh to you!

See @MasonR's post above, where he quotes the TorGuard FAQ. In it, TorGuard themselves state: "Is TorGuard related in any way to the “tor” project? Answer: No, [...]"

All they claim is that they DONATE to The Tor Project, nothing more. I wonder if their contribution is large or small?

They donate to Tor? Even better!

• emgemg Veteran

I see. The big bully VPN company steals the little anonymity non-profit's trademark, but if they donate a few dollars, that makes it okay.

If I club you over the head with a baseball bat every day, is it okay if I donate a box of bandaids to you once a year to make up for it? If TorGuard sews confusion in a vital sector of the security space, is all forgiven because they toss a few bucks to the real Tor service? What percentage of TorGuard's income went to The Tor Project?

Sorry, but I do not like or trust TorGuard. Integrity is critical in the VPN business. You have no choice but to trust your VPN provider to protect your anonymity and online activities. When a VPN company does something questionable or shady, that's a warning flag to me that I may not be able to trust them with more critical protections.