Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CrazyDomains experience - low cost .com - ask for ID - deleted domain
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CrazyDomains experience - low cost .com - ask for ID - deleted domain

Hi guys,
I had a bad experience with CrazyDomains.
I have never read about it in all my life until a member talked about it in a thread and I tried to use the coupon code which made the .com domain's cost went to under $2.

I have bought domains for YEARS and I have never listened any company asked what crazydomains asked to complete the others.
In this case I paid using PayPal. The same account I have used for more than 6 years (or more).

20/Aug - Messages I received
1st message subject: M58___3

"Hello,

I am writing in regards to your order which you have applied through Crazy Domains.

As a part of our fraud protection process your order has been selected for a random fraud check and we require some details to authenticate your order.
Can you please provide the following:

• A copy of valid photo ID (drivers license, passport, etc)

You can either fax the copies through to +44 8444 844 288 (please mark ATTN: Saint and mention your domain/or your member ID).
Or you can email the scanned copies of the above in reply to this email.

If we do not receive reply within 48 hours we will be forced to remove the order from our system and the registry, a full refund would be processed. Please advise if you have further queries.

Regards,
Name
Crazy Domains"

2nd message: domain.com Pending Approval

3rd message: domain.com Receipt | Order # 16....

MY REPLY:

"Hi name

I read what you wrote.
The cost of the domains is $ + my drive license copy.

Is this a kind of PROBLEM with Paypal?
I am sorry but I can not believe in "random fraud check".

I do not send copy of my driver's license or passport neither to
FACEBOOK, imagine to buy a domain in internet.
While you ask me this, I bought 5 (FIVE) domains in another registar
(united states) for less than 5 bucks.

I can not see one reason I will send this kind of data by internet
(not safe network) to you to buy a domain that will cost $1.2 or
something like that.

I have used this Paypal account for YEARS. I have never had any problem with it.

"Please advise if you have further queries."
Yes, please. Send me a valid photo ID of you. I prefer you sent it by
email, if you do not mind.

:)

Regards!

The fact is: this was my FIRST experience where I was asked to send a document to buy something very very cheap like a domain for less than $2
I think neither when I bought a few notebooks in Amazon.com I needed to send my ID copy.

I know there are a lot of scammers in this world but I do not see as something reasonable ask a copy of a document (driver's license, for example) to sell something cheap.

I do not mind about the domain. It was nothing serious in fact. The doubt is about until where a company can ask you a few documents under the motivation: "fraud protection".

DO YOU DO THE SAME THING? IN WHAT CONDITIONS?

:)

Comments

• dnwkdnwk Member

I have been ask for IDs many times. Namely, burst

• If you are for certain countries, many will ask for prove. some providers just any order from that few countries.

• Yup, just had this happen to me as well. Wasn't even going to bother with them as they wouldn't even respond to my tickets.

• You very obviously have something to hide if you refuse to send a reputable company ID for verification.

Are you from the third world? Take a read: https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraud

• I have been asked for IDs many times. Namely burst.net, web24.com.au, domainmonster, domainbox, hostgator, etc...

@DragonDF said:
    I do not see as something

reasonable ask a copy of a document (driver's
    license, for example) to sell something cheap.

These cheap offers are mostly to attract new customers, and limited to x number of order per customer. By asking for ID, they hope to eliminate people making duplicate accounts to "abuse" the promo.

• What's the coupon code?

• @awson said You very obviously have something to hide if you refuse to send a reputable company ID for verification.

CrazyDomains isn't a reputable company. They were recently slapped for breaches of the registrar agreement by AuDA (overseer of the .au domain) for their deceptive practices and violations of Australian consumer law and are in danger of losing their accreditation.

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/11830/crazydomains-gets-slapped-by-auda-for-breaches-of-registrar-agreement#latest

• I have same experience. Very slowwww support! I'm going to do charge back (asked for refund but no reply from them), even it's just 2$!

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I had the same experience with CrazyDomains. :/
    Just wait for a Namecheap promo, to buy your domain. :)

• I always buy domain for 0.50 from register.com since 2012 with the same coupon and they never asked for ID.

• @isy44h112 said:
    I always buy domain for 0.50 from register.com since 2012 with the same coupon and they never asked for ID.

Which coupon? Someone tell me which coupon! I have a couple I want to renew. :D

• @isy44h112 said:
    I always buy domain for 0.50 from register.com since 2012 with the same coupon and they never asked for ID.

How? Register.com/Network Solutions are good at detecting if you try to buy two domains.

• @joelgm you need US or CA address.
    @Awson prepaid card?

• @Awson prepaid card?

Sure, that would work, but what's the point when you need to buy a new one for each domain?

• @awson max 3 domain for new account.

• @awson said:
    You very obviously have something to hide if you refuse to send a reputable company ID for verification.

Are you from the third world? Take a read: https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraud

I do not know what you call "obviously".
    Obviously I do not want to send any document to any company if this is possible.
    I do not know who you are and what is the reason you believe a person who does not want to send his private ID over internet (you know what 'internet' means, I believe) to buy something so cheap.
    "Obviously" a person who can pay for $9 WILL NOT send his/her documents for a promotion to a company in Australia. Independent if you are or not in "third world".

Remembering that what I earn in the 3rd world is more than 95% (it was 98%) of the people of this world. Remember, too, that the richest guys in the world, the first is a mexican.
    So, what do you mean about "third world" is not a kind of classification people use anymore.
    http://www.forbes.com/billionaires/list/

@dnwk , @smile93 @skybucks100 @DalComp @DomainBop @thuvienvps @FtpIt_Radi
    Thank you for your participation.

@isy44h112 said:

I'd like to know more about this register.com offer, too. And yes, I have family in non-THIRD world's country.

• About the register.com offer I could read a few things:

https://www.register.com/promo/domain-to-website-v2.rcmx?trkID=WWWe01tI2W&gclid=CNa4m_P5iLYCFQexnQod2TQAow

People said it is NOT easy to transfer a domain later using Register.com. Maybe @isy44h112 can say something different.

LIMITED TIME OFFER. Offer valid for new customers in the US and Canada only, limited to a total of three domains. Upon expiration, all products will be renewed at the then current price.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

They asked me also for ID.

• @DragonDF said:
    About the register.com offer I could read a few things:

https://www.register.com/promo/domain-to-website-v2.rcmx?trkID=WWWe01tI2W&gclid=CNa4m_P5iLYCFQexnQod2TQAow

People said it is NOT easy to transfer a domain later using Register.com. Maybe isy44h112 can say something different.

You still can transfer out, but some of my domains, they request you to make a call before they release the transfer code for you.

But most of the time, they send the transfer code directly to your email without any problem.

• @skybucks100 said:
    Yup, just had this happen to me as well. Wasn't even going to bother with them as they wouldn't even respond to my tickets.

Crazydomains does answer each of my tickets (sent using email), but some of the tickets took more than 5 days before you get an answer. Mostly on pending domain order, if you ordering any good domain name, never using them. You domain name may be registered by someone else before they actually register for you.

• I register using crazy domain. then when i need to use the domain, i transfer it to namecheap or namesilo

• @DragonDF I've never transfer my domain so I can't comment. I plan to transfer all my domains early OCT.

• ztecztec Member

Well, that email looks like it has been written by a 12 year old of course. If you want to make your point, at least take a little more time for it.

• @smile93 said:

I waited 18 days for a reply and nothing. Then they asked for my ID (separate from the ticket) so I just registered the domain at Godaddy.

• GunterGunter Member
    edited August 2013

@DragonDF said:
    About the register.com offer I could read a few things:

People said it is NOT easy to transfer a domain later using Register.com. Maybe isy44h112 can say something different.

Not that hard. It took me about 4 minutes for my main domain.

What happened to my other domains was that my account was locked down for being older than 3 years, and they refused to let me transfer my domains unless I went into a lengthy process with trademarks and identification verification. I gave up, and frankly, I don't intend to use them. Even GoDaddy is better.

• @ztec said:
    Well, that email looks like it has been written by a 12 year old of course. If you want to make your point, at least take a little more time for it.

ztec, please send a good example of message a 18 years old person could type in these cases. I am here to learn. :)

• I've used this same provider (Australian version) in the past and i haven't had any issues with them. I'm guessing they want identification if you aren't from UK or AU?

• krokro Member

Nothing to hide here and I wouldnt send it. Clearly wrong there awson.

Yes I close the door when I go to the toilet..

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

CrazyDomains is for personal usage, as if you request to charge the registration name for domain name it will cost £85 in UK, the domain cost £1

• You people are idiots for being this cheap, and you deserve no less.