Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alibaba spams LET again - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alibaba spams LET again

Comments

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@dynamo said:

@jarland said: Because it's my door. Don't walk through it if you don't want to follow my rules, and don't cry if I kick you in the nuts for walking through it. I'm not going to lock it, because I don't want it locked, because it's my door and I do what I want.

@Amitz said: See @jarland. ;-)

Stresses my original point only that it might be criminal or just bad manners in some parts of the world to enter or peek if you see a open door on a "public property" whereas that might just be "okay" in certain other parts of the world. You can kick them all you want but you can't pick a moral battle with them on what is right and what is wrong caz the definitions differ there.

How about this. The forum has rules. To post on the forum, you need to AGREE to those rules. The fact that they disregard those rules show they have zero respect for the community, and so deserve none in return, and should be banned.. full stop.

Respect goes both ways.

Thanked by 3jar southy Amitz
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

dynamo said: caz the definitions differ there.

The rules do not differ here for various places. You agree with them, then you dont break them, regardless what your culture is.
    The gypsy culture here includes stealing and coning then bragging about it. Should that be allowed as long as it does not happen between the members of the "culture"? Why would some people be exempted from the law?
    If spamming and then making more accounts to approve of your spam is OK in china (which I strongly doubt), it is not OK here, especially if they intend to expand worldwide. I was hoping they fish for chinese customers.

Thanked by 2jar Amitz
  • @southy said: And that would then fit together exactly how with your last post that voted for "keep being open"?

I did not vote for "keep being open". I stated that its open as its not closed. Obvious isn't it? Either you keep it open to the entire world (traffic=revenue, exposure=more customers for sellers here) or restrict it to the "western" world and be done with it.

@teamacc said: there are rules on this forum that prohibit spamming.

My first comment in this topic was:

dynamo said: Why do you guys have to assume that the word "Spam" must have same meaning in China (or even Africa for that matter) as it has in the west?

Well @Jarland, I am not trying to be devils advocate here. As you said "Few things transcend culture, dishonesty and deceit fairly well do to the best of my knowledge.", let me pick a phrase from it: "to the best of my knowledge" and conclude it by saying "your knowledge" != "their knowledge". That is the limited point I want to make.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

dynamo said: My first comment in this topic was:

dynamo said: Why do you guys have to assume that the word "Spam" must have same meaning in China (or even Africa for that matter) as it has in the west?

It's specifically in the rules! There are rules against shilling and the rules have been defined IN THE RULES thread. What one's definition of spam or shilling is irrelevant. The rules have been written in black and white so there can be no debate on this matter.

dynamo said: "your knowledge" != "their knowledge"

In this case we are only talking about shilling / spamming, which have been defined in the rules. What they "knew" before signing up is not relevant. When signing up the agree to the rules, which is available for all to read. Ignorance is never a defense.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

A simple rule in this world: If you are in someone else's domain, you either obey his rules or leave. Obviously, there is a third, unspoken, choice of revolting which isn't possible here.

In my eyes, anyone supportive of blind spam gang-bang deserves whatever shit they get thrown at.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2017

dynamo said: Well @Jarland, I am not trying to be devils advocate here. As you said "Few things transcend culture, dishonesty and deceit fairly well do to the best of my knowledge.", let me pick a phrase from it: "to the best of my knowledge" and conclude it by saying "your knowledge" != "their knowledge". That is the limited point I want to make.

Hey, we all know how you mean it and it's a nice gesture that you try to explain the misconduct. However, those Alibaba guys were already told several times before that shitting on the carpet is not something that we tolerate. They still do it again and again. It becomes personal at some point, you know.

I once spent some time with a group of korean guys back in the 90ies of the last century. We all were young, we all were in a foreign country (USA, to be exact). We all met several different cultures for the first time and have been prone to cultural mistakes. I grabbed one of the korean guys and tousled his hair, because he was making a funny joke of myself and I wanted to show that I am not offended. It was meant as a true friendly gesture. He completely flipped out. Out of the sudden. Completely. I had to learn that one does not tousle the hair of a korean man in public. Not even as part of a joke or friendly gesture. I never did that again. Out of respect, not because I really think that my gesture was problematic within young peers. I expect the same respect from those Alibaba guys.

So, let me elaborate my first statement:
    I don't care what your definition of carpet hygiene is. If you shit on my carpet, then I will become angry and will tell you that this is not something that I want to see happening to my carpet. If you shit on my carpet again, then it is obvious that you do not respect me. So I will beat you up and throw you out of my house. Everybody gets a second chance. Grab it by the horns or get feathered. Bye, bye Alibaba on LET. Shit on your own carpet.

Thanked by 2dynamo MikePT
  • @randvegeta said: How about this. The forum has rules. To post on the forum, you need to AGREE to those rules. The fact that they disregard those rules show they have zero respect for the community, and so deserve none in return, and should be banned.. full stop.

Agreed. Ban them all you want but don't except them to change their ways of doing business because of the rules set in stone on LET.

@deank said: In my eyes, anyone supportive of blind spam gang-bang deserves whatever shit they get thrown at.

No ones supporting spam here. What I am saying is that no matter how many times you ban them & others, its going to keep repeating as it might not be considered a malpractice there.

@randvegeta said: The rules have been written in black and white so there can be no debate on this matter.

What if you are dealing with illiterates (and I don't mean it literally).

@Maounique said: Why would some people be exempted from the law?

I am not saying that. What might be "law" according to you can very well be incomprehensible rubbish to them. So impose as much law as you want to, they will still consider it rubbish.

edited November 2017

It's always going to happen. So, what, just because crime in real world doesn't stop, you give up trying to prevent'em? Don't be ridiculous here.

Never bother cleaning up one's room or house because dust will settle down again no matter how many times you clean?

Malpractice or not, spam is frowned upon and is not welcome here. @jarland has every right to shit and pee on them. It's his place after all. Telling him to ease his actions is literally telling him to abandon his rules.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2017

dynamo said: dynamo

I do not know which part of world you are from . But these are simple forum rules applying all world .

I am active in another education forum site in India . They do not have written rules for shilling . But when many education teachers and others online education websites try to spam the forum with links , they get banned plain and simple .

Alibaba has money and trying to beat aws or azure in cloud business , so they should behave like mature companies and try not to act like kiddie hosts . Nobody likes spamming here !

**if they want to promote , they can just buy ads and link whereever they want . **

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2017

I must admit that I do not have much first hand knowledge when it comes to China. I have never been there. I have no friends from China. I have no business contacts there. All I know from China is based on media information and what I see on the Internet.

So no idea about their ethics, but I suspect that no human being likes being tricked into some business by reading fake praises and artificial conversations between shillers. Neither in Germany, nor in China. It just sucks. Universally. I may be wrong, living in my small world. Anyway: One love.

• @Amitz said:
    I must admit that I do not have much first hand knowledge when it comes to China.

In my experience, China is very cut-throat, and lying is just their means of ensuring they can keep a stranglehold in society. They don't even try to justify it, anymore- it's just what they do.

• @Amitz said: I expect the same respect from those Alibaba guys.

Not going to happen. That is what I have been trying to convey in all my comments. You realized your mistake with the Korean guy and never did it again. But imagine the scenario in which you did not realize your mistake. You will keep repeating that with your other Korean friends. Wouldn't you? Because in this scenario, tousling someone's hair is normal in your ways and the person taking offense to it is a freaking idiot to you.

@Amitz said: So no idea about their ethics

Textbooks of ethics have different syllabus in different parts of the world.

@WSS said: China is very cut-throat, and lying is just their means of ensuring they can keep a stranglehold in society. They don't even try to justify it, anymore- it's just what they do.

I avoided being so crude about it in my wordings but you nailed it :)

• @hostdare said: Alibaba has money and trying to beat aws or azure in cloud business , so they should behave like mature companies and try not to act like kiddie hosts . Nobody likes spamming here !

What if its perfectly "mature" according to them? Is there anything left to debate with them then?

• Amitz said: So no idea about their ethics, but I suspect that no human being likes being tricked into some business by reading fake praises and artificial conversations between shillers.

China is developing a new form of economy that combines state control + pure capitalism in a unique way meant to amplify economic output as a State priority.

Consequently, you have a system that rewards people on arbitrary metrics (e.g., regional governors are evaluated purely on GDP which has led to widespread fraud and deceit in those ranks) but hasn't allowed society to develop healthy institutions and practices (e.g., unions, civic organizations, watchdogs, public consciousness, etc.)

Economic explosion causes this kind of behavior. There is a lot of money to be had and not much scruples keeping people in check.

Thanked by 2Maounique Amitz
  • @dynamo said: Why do you guys have to assume that the word "Spam" must have same meaning in China (or even Africa for that matter) as it has in the west?

A few remarks:

• The word spam is an English word, so naturally that word doesn't exist in Mandarin. Given that the English word spam doesn't exist in Mandarin, naturally it doesn't have a meaning in Mandarin. The translation of the English word spam in Mandarin is 垃圾邮件 (according to Google translate).

• The use of the English word spam on LET means something like 'unsolicited commercial comment/post'. It would be both wrong and foolish to say that the Chinese don't have the notion 'unsolicited commercial comment/post' -- of course, they do. Consequently, there's no difficulty for (the Chinese working for) Alibaba to understand this notion.

• If (the Chinese working for) Alibaba nonetheless submit unsolicited commercial comments/posts to LET, the most likely explanation is that they just couldn't care less about the rules of LET.

(Admittedly, in order to know the rules of LET, you have to be able to read English, but if you're going to post in English on an English-language forum, there's no excuse not to read the rules of the forum.)

Thanked by 2hostdare MikePT
  • jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited November 2017

angstrom said: The word spam is an English word, so naturally that word doesn't exist in Mandarin. Given that the English word spam doesn't exist in Mandarin, naturally it doesn't have a meaning in Mandarin. The translation of the English word spam in Mandarin is 垃圾邮件 (according to Google translate).

The use of the English word spam on LET means something like 'unsolicited commercial comment/post'. It would be both wrong and foolish to say that the Chinese don't have the notion 'unsolicited commercial comment/post' -- of course, they do. Consequently, there's no difficulty for (the Chinese working for) Alibaba to understand this notion.

The above is definitely true and should be taken into account when dealing with People from other cultures, but...

angstrom said: If (the Chinese working for) Alibaba nonetheless submit unsolicited commercial comments/posts to LET, the most likely explanation is that they just couldn't care less about the rules of LET.

They have nonetheless been repeatedly banned for spamming + shilling this bullcrap. I think the message is clear in all languages.

• @jiggawattz said: They have nonetheless been repeatedly banned for spamming + shilling this bullcrap. I think the message is clear in all languages.

Yes, this makes their actions in this particular case even worse.

• I saw this a few days ago on their official Facebook channel and thought it was pretty creative for a Chinese company. But posting here is a bit much?

I bet Alibaba just outsource their entire marketing department to (cheap) vendors since their staff aren't native English speakers. And the vendors probably bill them based on traffic/impressions/clicks. That could explain all the spamming.

Oh well, hopefully they'll learn their lesson this time. I quite like some of their products and sometimes recommend them to my friends in Hong Kong and Singapore. I'd feel embarrassed if they keep this up.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@baldybaby89 said:
    I saw this a few days ago on their official Facebook channel and thought it was pretty creative for a Chinese company. But posting here is a bit much?

I bet Alibaba just outsource their entire marketing department to (cheap) vendors since their staff aren't native English speakers. And the vendors probably bill them based on traffic/impressions/clicks. That could explain all the spamming.

Oh well, hopefully they'll learn their lesson this time. I quite like some of their products and sometimes recommend them to my friends in Hong Kong and Singapore. I'd feel embarrassed if they keep this up.

That this is the same person that posted this thread clearly means they understand and are simply mocking us at this point.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2017

Shot him. It was the carpet that made my living room cozy, you know?

Thanked by 2jar switsys
  • @Amitz said:

But did the carpet match the drapes?

Thanked by 1switsys
  • I was somehow citing The Big Lebowski. Cannot imagine him having drapes, to be honest.

• @Amitz said:

I thought that you were against guns!

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2017

Allegorical, of course! He is still alive. At least he was when I left him. Somehow.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

@Amitz said:
    I was somehow citing The Big Lebowski. Cannot imagine him having drapes, to be honest.

You don't need this explained further, do you?

I never did get the whole cult following of Lebowski. That, combined with the characters' hatred of the Eagles, well I don't know.

I did learn what happened when you met a stranger in the alps, however.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2017

Fun fact: It originally was "This is what happens when you feed a stoner with scrambled eggs". Yours is afaik the TV version.

• @Amitz said:
    Yours is afaik the TV version.

The TV version is a hell of a lot funnier, even unintentionally.

• With all this banning and re-registering going on, we're going to run out of available usernames soon.

LET could make a fair amount of money auctioning off banned usernames (only to re-ban it later, lolz)

• There needs to be a $7 "Temporarily rename user" option. Imagine sticking your least-liked person with jprout, or volumedrive for a month.

Thanked by 2hostdare switsys