Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alibaba spams LET again
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alibaba spams LET again

edited November 2017 in General

Think twice before using Alibaba for hosting. Anyone who spams forums to shill for themselves is shady.

Comments

• LOL.
    Alibaba tries hard this year.

And rumor has it the "male single" situation is even worse in CN.

• This is the lamest thing I've ever read

Thanked by 1S3phy
  • southysouthy Member
    edited November 2017

I would give them credit for trying.
    Even though I didn't even know there was such a thing as a "Single's day". Or did they just make this up along the way?

Hey, if everyone can pick a day, I want a "poor guy that needs to support lame users setting up VPNs at 3am at night"-day. Preffered date pick for that would be... today. For lack of sleep.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

spam again @jarland

• If you are not a developer, how can you say that this is for developers?

It's blatant spam, and it's not a comic, it's advertising.

Your company has been kicked and banned here in the past multiple times, please read the damn rules and abide by them if you feel you must come back, but personally I would prefer it if you didn't come back at all.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • lol, anymore?

• yiqianrabbityiqianrabbit Member
    edited November 2017

Interesting! I like this story.

• Hey OP how about you at least try to be sneaky? Shit screams advertisment. Just like the last one...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@yiqianrabbit said:
    Interesting! I like this story.

I'll bet you do because you're the one that posted it.

This Alibaba spam has been flying under the radar somehow. Not anymore.

Thanked by 3angstrom MikePT cassa

never seen aws/azure or any big guys spamming here

alibaba making itself looking cheap by these cheap tactics

Thanked by 2jar Amitz
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

No chance on getting back! Just cry in a riveeeeer...

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I presume they do because of the high number of chinese people looking for offers here. And insistence probably means it works.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Ridiculous. A company of that size should be more decent. Fucking spammers.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2017

Perhaps this is the "secret" behind the size :) I have seen them advertised in many shady places, it does not look so ridiculous to have a dedicated spam team.

• Why do you guys have to assume that the word "Spam" must have same meaning in China (or even Africa for that matter) as it has in the west? You can keep on blocking them but what is "evil" in your dictionary might very well be a totally normal way of doing/expanding business in certain other parts of the world :)

• @dynamo said:
    Why do you guys have to assume that the word "Spam" must have same meaning in China (or even Africa for that matter) as it has in the west? You can keep on blocking them but what is "evil" in your dictionary might very well be a totally normal way of doing/expanding business in certain other parts of the world :)

Doesnt give alibaba a free pass to spam on western forums, especially if the rules are very very clear, and they've been banned repeatedly.

• jarland said: This Alibaba spam

So it's confirmed to be Alibaba staffs and not some affiliate guys?

edited November 2017

eLohkCalb said: So it's confirmed to be Alibaba staffs and not some affiliate guys?

affiliate guys will put their links at the website url end , but this spam team direct linking to main website links .

so no, this is not work of affiliates but their main marketing team who is hired by alibaba itself .

• @teamacc said: Doesnt give alibaba a free pass to spam on western forums, especially if the rules are very very clear, and they've been banned repeatedly.

I wasn't justifying the spam posts. My point was that if spamvertising is a normal thing in the psyche of millions of people, moderators here can't only take counter measures and remove/block such posts. There is no point in questioning why Alibaba is doing this and comparing it to Azure & Amazons of the western world.

And I don't agree to the notion of branding LET as a "western forum" if you keep it open for registration/browsing/posting from anywhere in the world. If there are no tabs on that then its a "open forum" and is available for consumption by anyone on the web.

• dynamo said: Why do you guys have to assume that the word "Spam" must have same meaning in China (or even Africa for that matter) as it has in the west? You can keep on blocking them but what is "evil" in your dictionary might very well be a totally normal way of doing/expanding business in certain other parts of the world :)

I don't care what their definition of carpet hygiene is. If they shit on my carpet, then I shoot them. It's that easy.

• @Amitz said: I don't care what their definition of carpet hygiene is. If they shit on my carpet, then I shoot them. It's that easy.

Why don't you close the door instead?

edited November 2017

@dynamo said:

@Amitz said: I don't care what their definition of carpet hygiene is. If they shit on my carpet, then I shoot them. It's that easy.

Because it's my door. Don't walk through it if you don't want to follow my rules, and don't cry if I kick you in the nuts for walking through it. I'm not going to lock it, because I don't want it locked, because it's my door and I do what I want.

Translation: I'm not shutting off this community to prevent spam. Instead, I'm going to shame everyone who uses it to spam. If that offends anyone, I hope they enjoy fucking right off. Deceit is quite universally offensive, I can't think of a culture that appreciates it. If there is one, the rest of the world thinks they can fuck off. Masked spamming/shilling = deceit = dishonest advertising.

Few things transcend culture, dishonesty and deceit fairly well do to the best of my knowledge. Posting a link and masking your relation to the provider, then signing up for other accounts to pretend to be other people interested in the link you posted, is dishonesty and deceit.

Thanked by 4Amitz Aidan saibal Pwner
  • @dynamo said:

@Amitz said: I don't care what their definition of carpet hygiene is. If they shit on my carpet, then I shoot them. It's that easy.

And that would then fit together exactly how with your last post that voted for "keep being open"?

• dynamo said: Why don't you close the door instead?

See @jarland. ;-)

• Feel so bad to have missed the drama :p

• @hostdare said:

eLohkCalb said: So it's confirmed to be Alibaba staffs and not some affiliate guys?

affiliate guys will put their links at the website url end , but this spam team direct linking to main website links .

so no, this is not work of affiliates but their main marketing team who is hired by alibaba itself .

I was also wondering about this and I wouldn't be so sure.
    I really have a very hard time believing that a multi-billion enterprise with most likely a professional run marketing department would resent to posting random recommendations under "private" nicks.
    This just sounds too fishy.
    Especially as that enterprise is currently seeking to expand internationally and thuns probably the marketing team has been made aware of cultural differences.

Couldn't this just be rather either "proud low-level employees" or, presumably the most likely: just plain simple plain simple normal chinese people that think they are doing the right thing to promote their countries "big player" with some national pride (but don't have any connection to Alibaba)?

Tbh I don't care that much if it's rogue employees, affiliates gone wild, or the company themselves. If they take interest in their reputation here, though it's perfectly reasonable to expect they might not, they'll reach out to whichever it is.

• @jarland said: Because it's my door. Don't walk through it if you don't want to follow my rules, and don't cry if I kick you in the nuts for walking through it. I'm not going to lock it, because I don't want it locked, because it's my door and I do what I want.

@Amitz said: See @jarland. ;-)

Stresses my original point only that it might be criminal or just bad manners in some parts of the world to enter or peek if you see a open door on a "public property" whereas that might just be "okay" in certain other parts of the world. You can kick them all you want but you can't pick a moral battle with them on what is right and what is wrong caz the definitions differ there.

• @dynamo said:

@jarland said: Because it's my door. Don't walk through it if you don't want to follow my rules, and don't cry if I kick you in the nuts for walking through it. I'm not going to lock it, because I don't want it locked, because it's my door and I do what I want.

@Amitz said: See @jarland. ;-)

Stresses my original point only that it might be criminal or just bad manners in some parts of the world to enter or peek if you see a open door on a "public property" whereas that might just be "okay" in certain other parts of the world. You can kick them all you want but you can't pick a moral battle with them on what is right and what is wrong caz the definitions differ there.

1. there are rules on this forum that prohibit spamming.

2. see point 1.

Thanked by 1jar

dynamo said: can't pick a moral battle with them on what is right and what is wrong

Can too. See:

jarland said: Few things transcend culture, dishonesty and deceit fairly well do to the best of my knowledge. Posting a link and masking your relation to the provider, then signing up for other accounts to pretend to be other people interested in the link you posted, is dishonesty and deceit.