Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Government warns of Windows 8 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Government warns of Windows 8

2»

Comments

• GaNiGaNi Member

We'll simply wait for the Russians to take care of it..

• ztecztec Member

@spekk said:
    do you know who I am, to make such claims? my thoughts are my own business, also I think that you are one of those people that stamp labels on others, e.g. "he's got long hair, he must be a loser", or "all blacks are criminals", etc.

now, be off, and offend someone else, your highness.

Long haired people are often losers. If I'd let my hair grow right now I would not want to hang out with other longer haired people :D - as of the blacks thing, that's racist man.

Also : If you have to ask other people who you are - you're not important. Caring about it makes you even less important.

• spekkspekk Member
    edited August 2013

enough said, thank you, you may sit down.

@ztec said:
    "Long haired people are often losers"

• skaska Member

@Master_Bo said:
    Pity your suggestion only belongs to domain of fiction. Since there's no "Open Windows", there is only way out - trash that OS.

Well, technically ReactOS is an open Windows.

• @ska said:

That looks promising :-)

• @ska said:

It's in alpha. Personally, I am not in for such challenge, until they reach at least gamma/RC stage.

• There's nothing wrong with Windows 8, haha.

• @Master_Bo ReactOS has been in "alpha" testing for YEARS.

• @Jeffrey said:
    Master_Bo ReactOS has been in "alpha" testing for YEARS.

So what? It only means it's out of question as Windows alternative.
    At the moment I can use Wine in most situations.

• VPNVPN Member

There is nothing wrong with Windows. Any issues that arise are down to user incompetence. Linux is good for server use but that's it really. I don't fancy spending hours hacking around to play a game when I can do it out of the box in Windows.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2013

There is nothing wrong with any OS. It all depends on the amount of time and effort to learn it and plug the holes/squash bugs, etc. IMO, until someone does not compile own OS (usually Linux) from scratch, will not have a clear view on how the data flows through it. I could never compile my own windows and I deeply admire the people at ReactOS for trying, but, as such, I cannot give an expert opinion about windows, nor about Unix for that matter. However, while being a sysadmin for 10 years+, with only few security incidents (virus/trojan on someone's windows laptop does not count), I can give an educated guess that:
    1. Linux is more secure, not only because it is open source, but because it was conceived with security in mind, with permissions on files, users rights, etc, while windows had to adapt on the go and add here and there to fill some gaping holes;
    2. Windows used to need more hw to run same tasks as Linux and it is still true, but the difference is shrinking with every new windows version;
    3. Due to the licensing and updating model, windows is a danger for Internet and always was, it hosts the most bots and scanners per 100 machines. Again, things are no longer so bad, Microsoft did take some big steps in the right direction;
    4. Linux is more stable than Windows, but, again, M$ no longer considers that 2 lock-ups a day should be considered normal, those times are long gone;
    5. As time passes by, Windows becomes cheaper while many Linux Vendors started to monetize somehow their licensing model, but, unfortunately, as the hardware is also dropping in price, it can still cost more to run the OS than the hardware to run it. Still, you can have many great distros for absolutely free, so, at costs Linux wins hands down;
    6. While Linux does improve constantly regarding gaming and, eventually, the Android model will spill over into desktops, it is too little too late, desktops and even laptops are no longer ruling the market, windows wins hands down, even Macs have an edge there;
    7. As for surveillance, I will always prefer an Open Source OS and encryption scheme over proprietary closed source ones. There is no way to tell what is being sent over the Internet and the backdoors can be exploited by criminals too, not only the government which people think today is relatively safe to trust with their lives and money. No knowing what happens behind the scenes drives me paranoid and makes me spend too much time trying to plug presumed security holes, but, once you drop windows completely, all your friends which depended on you to fix theirs will look perplexed seeing you cant find your way around windows 8 or even 7 after a while and it is paramount to keep it if you work in customer service one way or the other. In the anti-snooping area, linux wins hands down.

• Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited August 2013

@OkieDoke said:
    There is nothing wrong with Windows. Any issues that arise are down to user incompetence. Linux is good for server use but that's it really. I don't fancy spending hours hacking around to play a game when I can do it out of the box in Windows.

If you use OS primarily for games, Windows is you obvious solution.

Beyond that, there's nothing wrong about any OS. I use Linux (Ubuntu, if that matters; planning to switch to Debian), because it takes just as much time to tune everything I need, but Windows has two major flaws:

• its price is absurdly high

• it's closed-source, thus its security can't be reliably tested

Since Linux emulators for Windows/other environments grow more and more capable, I already do not have to boot Windows to play most games I like.

When one isn't primarily wandering through Net/playing games, desktop Linux specii have everything one needs (from office suites to media players/editors).