Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Government warns of Windows 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Government warns of Windows 8

http://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-08/trusted-computing-microsoft-windows-8-nsa

TL;DR Germany Govt WARNS: Windows 8 NEVER USE! Microsoft can control computer - gather ALL Data and a Never Get Rid of Backdoor for NSA

Comments

• Can't say I'm all that shocked tbh.

• ztecztec Member

Well it's a sucky OS anyway. Fast though, but it looks to me like it has been build for tablets.

• dnwkdnwk Member

Don't we already know that?

• @dnwk we supposed that, now we know.

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited August 2013

@chauffer said:
    dnwk we supposed that, now we know.

I don't think there are differences. We all know that but MS will denies it. And it still works as a rumor[which let us find something to talk about in a Forum, newsgroup, IRC and/or media], from very first version of Windows/Mac till the end of World (or their producing company, whichever comes first)

• That's too old news. Windows was remotely controlled for many versions already.

However, MS won't panic at such a statement, the majority of Windows users doesn't care about their privacy/whatever.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Bill Gates Exposed!!!!!

• Germany's government sure is dumb. Seriously, who let tinfoil idiots run a country?

• spekkspekk Member
    edited August 2013

well, the German government is denying it now.

anyway, I wonder how some people are still talking about tinfoil hats when Snowden published all that stuff, are you that ignorant?

anyway, I am 100% sure windows has no backdoor in it, especially their encryption software has no government backdoor, and I am sure Skype (now Microsoft) has no backdoor in it and they can not decrypt the conversations, it is true that their CEO formerly admitted it but I am sure he was lying, or Microsoft removed that right away when they purchased Skype.

but as David Cameron said, "if you did nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about", but actually I think he or his family/friends did a lot of wrong things, like mp3 downloading or watching pirated movies.

• anyway, I wonder how some people are still talking about tinfoil hats when Snowden published all that stuff, are you that ignorant?

No. I don't care what x company knows about me. I'm not paranoid, I don't have autism. NSA has said multiple times they do what they do to protect their country. You tinhats just never learn.

• you don't care because you are not important, my 'offending' friend.

• @spekk said:
    you don't care because you are not important, my 'offending' friend.

And neither are you, so stop thinking that the government cares about some tinfoil's privacy.

• spekkspekk Member
    edited August 2013

do you know who I am, to make such claims? my thoughts are my own business, also I think that you are one of those people that stamp labels on others, e.g. "he's got long hair, he must be a loser", or "all blacks are criminals", etc.

now, be off, and offend someone else, your highness.

@awson said:
    And neither are you, so stop thinking that the government cares about some tinfoil's privacy.

• @Master_Bo said:
    the majority of Windows users doesn't care about their privacy/whatever.

Would like to see your evidence supporting this statement.

• skaska Member

@awson: <°(((((><

• dnwkdnwk Member

So everyone saw my point: It is a good topic for people to rumor around to have fun[and hare ].

Thanked by 1ska
  • It's the possibility of installing a backdoor.

Considering that TPM support is usually pretty bad, or and disabled by default unless needed for instances such as verifying OS, it's unlikely that it's on the scale we think it is. But seriously, if you want security, use Linux or BSD already.

• All other Windows versions, and any OS that supports TPM are vulnerable as well ;)

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited August 2013

@Master_Bo said:
    That's too old news. Windows was remotely controlled for many versions already.

Definitely old news. It's one of the reasons many governments have made a push for Linux. Venezuela (Canaima GNU/Linux), Cuba (Nova Linux) and a few other governments launched their own Linux distros.

NSA has said multiple times they do what they do to protect their country.

The NSA has also lied repeatedly and said their spying is to "protect their country from terrorism" when the statistics of what they're spying on clearly show that the bulk of their spying is targeted at spying on economic and business interests of other countries (with Brazil, Russia, China, and Germany being some of the NSA's prime targets).

The so-called war on terror is really a desperate attempt by the US and its allies to remain at the top of the economic heap since most economic forecasts predict the 5-member BRICS alliance (which has 43% of the world's population) will eventually surpass the economic power of the US and its allies.

• danodano Member

awson is trollin - we all already know what the response will be to anything security related...tin foil hats? I bet awson doesn't change SSH port from default, and leaves root login enabled with a weak password, because only tin foil hat folks secure their machines? Only tin foil hat folks run mod_security on apache web servers and firewalls?

• @dano said:
    I bet awson doesn't change SSH port from default, and leaves root login enabled with a weak password, because only tin foil hat folks secure their machines?

inb4 the government doesn't care about my ssh port

• @sleddog said:
    Would like to see your evidence supporting this statement.

The mere fact they continue to use Windows.

That OS/its components has a long record of intruding into user's privacy. People just don't care, since popular saying "I do nothing wrong, I have nothing to hide" became that popular.

If you insist on facts about MS wrongdoings, feel free to study TechRights. As a system administrator, I have all evidence of Windows workstations performing "stealth surveillance" within network.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited August 2013

@awson - it's people like you who give the green light to governments to erode our rights to privacy, no detention without trial, the right to jury determining our guilt etc.. Already in the UK, you can he put in prison without trial, you no longer have the right to see/challenge the evidence against you, you no longer have the right to have a trial by jury, even your lawyers cannot see the evidence. What freedoms/rights have we got left????

@spekk - i'd like to read Ca-Moron's emails, especially regarding what he is up to in Syria and planning the next war against Iran!

@Master_Bo - I care about my privacy, but M$ has dominance of the OS market and Linux is shit, so there is no choice. If someone could reverse engineer and take out the spying code out of MS OS's and then you asked people to choose the original (spyware OS) or the modified (spyware free OS) that would be the true comparison!

@darknyan - if you read the article, TPM is activated in all PC's now, and the option is turn it off is disabled.

• @Master_Bo said:
    If you insist on facts about MS wrongdoings, feel free to study TechRights. As a system administrator, I have all evidence of Windows workstations performing "stealth surveillance" within network.

Few Windows users are system administrators, and I'd guess that only a small minority reads TechRights. A majority of Windows users are simply oblivious to potential privacy issues stemming from their operating system. But not knowing isn't the same as not caring.

• Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited August 2013

@asterisk14 said:
    Master_Bo - I care about my privacy, but M$ has dominance of the OS market and Linux is shit, so there is no choice. If someone could reverse engineer and take out the spying code out of MS OS's that would be great.

You are entitled to your opinion. Personally, I consider Linux and Windows equally wonderful (or being equally full of shit, depends on viewpoint), time to maintain/handle typical situations is roughly the same.

However, all other choices equal, I prefer the pile of shit that is transparent and costs less. This excludes MS/other commercial OSes from my desktops for good.

Also, it's your sacred right to sacrifice your privacy in favor of OS being lower (less smelly, less filthy... - choose the correct reason) pile of you-know-what. I have made my choice, already.

@sleddog said:
    Few Windows users are system administrators, and I'd guess that only a small minority reads TechRights. A majority of Windows users are simply oblivious to potential privacy issues stemming from their operating system. But not knowing isn't the same as not caring.

Well, I tried to enlighten quite many a person about that. I can't say for all the world, but I dare to state that the absolute majority of the mentioned people will simply shrug their shoulders and will continue to use Windows as they did.

JFYI, I try to enlighten people (by facts, not by emotions - and let the person in every case decide for him/herself) all the way. People know very little about privacy concerns and do not always understand what is the real harm from third parties knowing too much about one's private life.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited August 2013

@Master_Bo said:
    Personally, I consider Linux and Windows equally wonderful

All my existing hardware/printers/scanners/etc run XP so I am stuck with XP or nothing. I don't think I will find Linux drivers for old hardware such, as this especially the shitty own brands like PC Line (from Dixons/PC World) for which only XP drivers were supplied to me. And I have no intention of throwing all perfectly working peripherals on the scrap heap, just to put more money in MS pocket.

Windows XP still accounted for over 37 percent of all desktop OS usage share in July 2013, behind Windows 7 (44.5 percent) but well ahead of Windows 8 (5.4 percent), Vista (4.24 percent), or the most recent Mac OS X version (3.3 percent). LINUX 1.25% HAHA

@Master_Bo said People know very little about privacy concerns and do not always understand what is the real harm from third parties knowing too much about one's private life.

If someone could reverse engineer and take out the spying code out of MS OS's and then you asked people to choose the original (spyware OS) or the modified (spyware free OS) that would be the true comparison!

• @asterisk14 said:
    If someone could reverse engineer and take out the spying code out of MS OS's and then you asked people to choose the original (spyware OS) or the modified (spyware free OS) that would be the true comparison!

I like cyberpunk and science (and other) fiction.

Pity your suggestion only belongs to domain of fiction. Since there's no "Open Windows", there is only way out - trash that OS.

• @Master_Bo said:
    People know very little about privacy concerns and do not always understand what is the real harm from third parties knowing too much about one's private life.

Absolutely agree.

• @Master_Bo said:
    Pity your suggestion only belongs to domain of fiction. Since there's no "Open Windows", there is only way out - trash that OS.

Or maybe lock down with another firewall (Zonealarm) or use the router to only allow essential access to the outside world?

• @asterisk14 said:
    Or maybe lock down with another firewall (Zonealarm) or use the router to only allow essential access to the outside world?

Well, the choice is yours. While I was using Windows, I set it up secure enough to avoid popular troubles.

To me, no amount of ZoneAlarms would cure distrust I have towards that OS.