Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your favorite Linux OS and why? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's your favorite Linux OS and why?

2»

Comments

• @joelgm said:
    What's "XP"

One of the worlds best O/S from Micro$haft - been going 10 years and >30% of computers still using it!

• @asterisk14 said:

That figure is probably because of the huge number of XP PCs in government offices of India (including the official touch screen kiosks of Indian railways). And because of our supremacy in population, we tend to tip over the scales.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited August 2013

It's probably more due to the Chinese, they are around 70% XP IIRC!

• smansman Member

Every year that XP number gets lower. I think that 30% number is at least a year or two old. Probably below 20% now.

• amirdjamirdj Member
    edited August 2013

Servers: CentOS and Debian

Desktop/Laptop: Gentoo/Sabayon

• Slackware. I used it a bit in 1996/1997 but for me at that time, linux wasn't working well. A couple of years ago Windows started not working well for me and I got tired of installing, updating and reconfiguring it almost every year so I formatted the drive and went with Slackware64 13.0...and it's been that way ever since.

I try to use Slackware on my VPS when I can, if I can't, I use CentOS.

I like Slackware because it's pretty basic. There are no package managers really, you compile everything from scratch and manage it yourself. You edit everything in config files. Once I got proficient in Slackware, I tried a few other linuxes(linuxii?) and I found myself still doing the same thing in those versions as I was in Slackware...so I just stayed with it.

There are a couple other linux versions I do like, but I don't use. Elive is one of them.

• @asterisk14 I wonder what % of that is legally purchased, and how much is either unactivated or cracked.

• @sman said:
    Every year that XP number gets lower. I think that 30% number is at least a year or two old. Probably below 20% now.

No, those are current figures.

@Magiobiwan said:
    asterisk14 I wonder what % of that is legally purchased, and how much is either unactivated or cracked.

Does it make a difference?