Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your favorite Linux OS and why?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's your favorite Linux OS and why?

I started off using CentOS, and it was just too complicated for a first OS for me. I ended up switching to Fedora as I had a friend who used it in desktop mode, but didn't like it either. I went to Debian, which worked fine, but then I installed Ubuntu on a small netbook I picked up.

Since I liked the desktop version of Ubuntu, I went ahead and changed all my servers to Ubuntu 12.04x86 or Ubuntu 13.04x64.

However, I'd still like to find a stable OS that uses less resources and handles processes well, as Ubuntu seems to be using more resources than I would like.

Comments

• Fedora with XFCE

All my VPS run centos, hence it easier to use fedora. I switched to linux on my desktop after using CentOS on my VPSes for sometime.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2013

Desktop: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Server: Debian 7 minimal.

Ubuntu: Most everything works out of the box which is nice and Debian because it seems to be less cluttered with junk than Ubuntu server

• klikliklikli Member
    edited August 2013

Desktop: Xubuntu or Lubuntu :-)

I personally don't like Debian's upgrade schedule, and Ubuntu's 6-month release cycle gives me a stable upgrade path.

• Maximum_VPSMaximum_VPS Member
    edited August 2013

Centos for stability :) Otherwise Debian for home.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited August 2013

Debian for my servers, kubuntu for my PCs.

Regarding resources, a Debian minimal can use as less as 8 GB ram. I usually install it and then add the additional services.

@klikli said:
    I personally don't like Debian's upgrade schedule, and Ubuntu's 6-month release cycle gives me a stable upgrade path.

You always have the option of compiling critical programs from source

• Ubuntu Server for servers, Xubuntu for desktops.

Not a fan of outdated packages (see: Debian).

• @joelgm said:

Regarding resources, a Debian minimal can use as less as 8 GB ram. I usually install it and then add the additional services.

you meant 8MB right? :-P

Thanked by 1Steve81
  • Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited August 2013

CentOS/Debian for servers. CentOS: widely used, well-tested free version of RHEL. Debian: strictly free, well-tested.

Ubuntu/Debian for desktop usage. Ubuntu started to have privacy-related issues (such as Amazon ads being displayed in certain circumstances in certain versions), so I perhaps will replace it with pure Debian.

Kali (derived from Debian) for security-related checks/analysis.

I used to use Fedora, but it's lifespan is rather small and I got tired of seeing more and more packages broken due to this Linux species being most advanced in terms of using last minute development versions.

• CentOS, because very stable

• Servers: CentOS.
    Desktop/Laptop: PCLinuxOS. Easy to use for beginners. Nice system control center.

• debian, simple to use, low resources.

• Debian. Because I absolutely love their aptitude package manager. I'm not a fan of yum and RH/CentOS, but it is great for LAMP servers.

• Debian, complete flexibility on a rock solid base.

• i love CentOS :)

• Ubuntu. Debian didn't have the library versions I needed at times.

• @techkken said

@CraigA said:
    Debian. Because I absolutely love their aptitude package manager. I'm not a fan of yum and RH/CentOS, but it is great for LAMP servers.

What panel do you use in debian?

• Desktop: LMDE, performance of debian with all the extras of Linux Mint, and its a rolling release. Server: Debian 7, super stable and minimal.

• Debian for servers whenever possible. Arch for desktop but sometimes Debian.

• LeoLeo Member

Debian has been my favorite since I started tinkering with Linux more than 10 years ago. The reason Debian was chosen, was simply because it was the only distribution where the installer would run on the old 32 MB PC I had available to test Linux.

• CentOS ^^, Easy to resolve problem

• danodano Member

Of the operating systems you listed, I see most as great choices. For me, I have a pretty even mix of Centos 5/6, Debian stable, and Ubuntu LTS machines running in the wild. For me, Fedora has always been a waste of time, as it eventually breaks or misbehaves on something, and so I have just ignored it for the last couple of years. The way I see things, if I want a system to run everyday and it doesn't require super bleeding edge kernel or libs, I will use Centos or Debian. If I need an OS for a project, and I need the latest software or kernels, I will go with Ubuntu.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

Saying which is the best is too general imho. It makes a big difference whether it's for a server or desktop. Whether it's running Xserver or just command line.

I'm guessing the people who say CentOS is too complicated are trying to run it as desktop with xserver+gnome/kde. It can be a PiTA for that to get it set up right. But for command line it's very simple to install and get up and running.

I have always thought Debian kind of sucks. I never liked the package manager. I think Ubuntu has fixed a lot of those shortcomings and apt seems to work ok now. Still kind of silly that you have to run apt-get update before you run apt-get upgrade. Don't have to worry about that with yum.

I do not like how the Ubuntu developers keep changing the location of things from version to version. That is by far the biggest negative I've found with it.

• @sman said:
    Still kind of silly that you have to run apt upgrade before you run apt update. Don't have to worry about that with yum.

It's the other way around.

It all boils down to personal choice.

• Linux is shite. XP all the way!

• @asterisk14 said:
    Linux is shite. XP all the way!

Yeah, no.

Besides, support is ending in April.

• mawrmawr Member

Just installed Debian 6 32bit on my newest node. Wonder if the Debian switch from Ubuntu will affect any performance, even slightly or significantly.

• @asterisk14 said:

What's "XP"?

• @joelgm said:
    What's "XP"?

• I should've added a smiley at the end!

• CentOS for OVZ servers as it's officially supported. Debian for other servers because I prefer apt for installing dependencies and prefer it's network configuration. Both minimal installs.

Either work really well though and are very stable/have low overhead. I normally compile everything myself so the yum/apt difference isn't a major reason.