Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone have a Kimsufi hard drive replaced due to old age?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone have a Kimsufi hard drive replaced due to old age?

I suspect this is kind of a funny question, given that we are talking about Kimsufi but, has anyone asked for a drive to be replaced after X number of power-on hours?

I'm at a point where I have moved some things off a couple of them but, am thinking of keeping them for other purposes. One has over 27,000 hours and the other more than 38,000. I was wondering if anyone has ever asked for their Kimsufi drives to be replaced, simply due to age.

Comments

• I haven't asked, but I've been asked to do so, and will generally reject doing so if there's no actual problem with the drive. POH isn't a problem.

Thanked by 1jaypeesmith
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

jaypeesmith said: I suspect this is kind of a funny question

Yes it is.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

I'd rather take old drives than new ones. They are proven after all. I've seen a HDD last 11 years. So, unless it's past 10 years mark, I wouldn't even bother even considering.

Thanked by 1zevus
  • @deank said:
    I'd rather take old drives than new ones. They are proven after all. I've seen a HDD last 11 years. So, unless it's past 10 years mark, I wouldn't even bother even considering.

0.o

• deank said: I'd rather take old drives than new ones

100%. Had way too many drives die in the first 1000 hours.

• I heard of someone asking Kimsufi to change a ~25000 hour disk, and they finally managed to change the disk to a ~70000 hour one.

• zevuszevus Member
    edited November 2017

@deank said:

Yeah, for these SATA, I'd much, much rather have a drive with tens of thousands of hours vs a brand new one.

The SATA drives in my home system, one has 72080 hours, the other has 45332

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I have two SYS server with about 30K hours, never had a problem with the drives (4x 3TB I think).

• lionlion Member
    edited November 2017

@MikeA said:
    I have two SYS server with about 30K hours, never had a problem with the drives (4x 3TB I think).

...yet

• The point being that you're less likely to have issues on an HDD with 30k hours in the next .... 1000 hours... vs a drive with zero hours.

Now, I wouldn't want an SSD with a ton of hours. But it'd be much nicer to always get them with 4 digits.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • LeeLee Veteran

@lion said:

@MikeA said:

...yet

I have had more problems with new drives than ones that have been running thousands of hours.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @lion said:

@MikeA said:

...yet

30k hours is only 1250 days - so like 3.4 years - most enterprise drives these days come with a 5 year warranty or even more in some cases - so 30k hours is nothing ;)

/me looks at my Medion external drive bought in 2008 that still runs smoothly.

I can see my current mail filtering server:

Vendor (Seagate/Hitachi) factory information
      number of hours powered up = 53936.63

Vendor (Seagate/Hitachi) factory information
      number of hours powered up = 54264.13

That's more than 6 years, still waiting for reallocated sectors :-)

• Will for SATA Old is Gold!!! Unless its over 10 years old... as stated by @deank

If the drive is working well dont bother changing it...