Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KS-2G alternative? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KS-2G alternative?

2»

Comments

• smansman Member

@tchen said:
    backupsy is also a brain-dead way to get FreeNAS up and running in 10s.

At 1000GB a month there is not much in the way of NAS that you are going to do. Basically anthing that NAS is typcially used for. Besides long term archiving.

• @rm_ said:
    That said, I think it is silly to require RAID for backups. It's backups for crying out loud, you already also have this stuff elsewhere, why do you care if you lose the backups?

I'm going to agree about the silliness of requiring RAID for backups. Data loss can still occur with RAID1/10/xx (search LET for examples where data loss occurred even with RAID). What people should be doing is maintaining copies of their backups in 2 or more different geographic locations at different providers (and preferably not at the same providers where their production websites are located) .

Thanked by 1kintamanimatt
  • lumaluma Member

Agreed and even with Raid 1 if you have corrupted data it is going to corrupt on both drives so being in raid won't help much.

@DomainBop said:I'm going to agree about the silliness of requiring RAID for backups. Data loss can still occur with RAID1/10/xx

• @luma said:
    Agreed and even with Raid 1 if you have corrupted data it is going to corrupt on both drives so being in raid won't help much.

Versioned, multi-site, tested backups are the way to go. :-)

• @sman said:
    At 1000GB a month there is not much in the way of NAS that you are going to do. Basically anthing that NAS is typcially used for. Besides long term archiving.

That's why it's called backupsy.

CPU usage is also in the AUP so if you we're planning on transcoding, look elsewhere.

As for FreeNAS, it's main draw is the ZFS snapshots. Something immensely useful for automated backups from hosts that have write access.

• albertdbalbertdb Member
    edited August 2013

@kintamanimatt said:
    Can anybody provide a dedicated (or VPS) solution that can match OVH's sold-out KS-2G dedicated servers? I solely want to use it as cheap off-site storage for personal backups. Memory, processor aren't anywhere near as important as storage and bandwidth. I'd prefer somewhere in Europe, but US/Canada are also fine.

Why not OVH? http://www.ovh.co.uk/cloud/archive/

It's much cheaper than Backupsy. If you pay in Euros, then the price is 0.008€ (+VAT) /month /GB. Beat that @serverian

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2013

Why not OVH?

Does anyone at this point still REALLY have to ask this?

It's much cheaper

Not "much cheaper", not even in Euros.

0.008€ (+VAT) /month /GB

That's 4 EUR ($5.33) for 500 GB, whereas Backupsy is $7. Whopedopedoo a whole $1.6 cheaper. And not to mention that with Backupsy you get a honest and plain VPS, not some unfamiliar "cloud" storage-only account, which is probably also half in french, generally bothersome to do anything with, and any support is only via a forum where you can't even register in the first place.

Also keep in mind transferring your data out is not free on that OVH "cloud", just downloading your data will cost the same per GB as storing it for a month.

Cost of retrieval £0.008 excl. VAT/GB

• albertdbalbertdb Member
    edited August 2013

@rm_ said:
    Also keep in mind transferring your data out is not free on that OVH "cloud", just downloading your data will cost the same per GB as storing it for a month.

Backups are rarely retrieved, at least when your computer HDD lasts what it's expected to last. I you need to download them every week, then you are not backing up data, but having a cloud USB flash drive.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

@tchen said:

Thanks for the info. I have never heard of FreeNAS. Will look into it.

• I've had great luck with Backupsy. Network is solid and I'm using it to backup data from my mSP at OVH.

• @albertdb said:
    Backups are rarely retrieved, at least when your computer HDD lasts what it's expected to last. I you need to download them every week, then you are not backing up data, but having a cloud USB flash drive.

Backups are always retrieved in a verify step. OVH cloud archives and AWS glacier are good places to store 2nd tier, long duration, semi-offline archives. If you're up to that point where you have backups for your backups, then my hats' off to you.

• You won't be able to beat the price of the Kimsufi's anywhere with similar specs on dedicated hardware.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@tchen said:
    Backups are always retrieved in a verify step.

What's wrong with checksums ? If it doesnt match, reupload.

If only for backups, there are solutions at similar prices, however, you wont get a dedi for 4 Eur, there are not many providers that can go at a loss for as long as OVH can.
    Even us had 1 cent/GB solutions but ppl complained about the lack of raid and lack of solus (was using the cloudmin panel with much more features) so we didnt put up more of those.
    The solus tune seems to have changed lately, but the raid is a must for backups is probably here to stay. And yes, ppl said glacier is cheaper (euro cents vs dollar cents) not considering the advantages of mountable space, real OS and full control that a VPS has, not to mention free retrieval and immediate availability, but, helas, lack of redundancy...

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited August 2013

@kintamanimatt said:
    Yeah, I know, which is why I mentioned it when Sonwebhost said that there was nothing comparable. Read what my reply was in reply to because I think you're confused.

He was factually correct. Backupsy matches your requirement for storage, but there's nothing comparable between a VPS that has limits on cpu usage, and your own dedicated server. Incidentally, since cpu isn't important for you, backupsy would be ideal for you.

P.S. I have both-an OVH and online.net dedicated servers and a Backupsy plan which I've been using since Oktay introduced it to LEB.In addition to scheduled backups from my servers to Backupsy, I have additional ftp offloaded backups.

• @Maounique said:
    What's wrong with checksums ? If it doesnt match, reupload

I'm thinking verify along the lines of duplicity where it does integrity checking of the backup volumes themselves. A flipped bit on an encrypted volume store won't show up if you only look at the manifest. For daily backups, I do rely on the manifest just for the speed. But every month or so, it'll do a full verify-backup just to ensure the integrity of the chain. Sadly, that pulls down the volumes.

All that said, if you're just doing rsync --checksum on both ends then yes, that's a bit more efficient.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2013

What's wrong with checksums ? If it doesnt match, reupload.

You can't calculate checksums remotely if you only have a limited access to your storage account, e.g. it's not a VPS and you can't run programs, can only upload files by FTP, which is exactly the case with OVH "cloud" storage.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Why not use an external USB 500GB HDD and store it at friends house?

• @asterisk14 said:
    Why not use an external USB 500GB HDD and store it at friends house?

No way, too simple a solution.

• @asterisk14 said:
    Why not use an external USB 500GB HDD and store it at friends house?

You're assuming that all of us have high bandwidth and low cost internet.

• dnwkdnwk Member

Find a place to colo a NAS

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@joelgm said:
    You're assuming that all of us have high bandwidth and low cost internet.

There are also the power costs, hardware costs, chances are much higher that power or internet fails in residential areas, a "broom-type" accident might happen, the neighbour above might have a leaking pipe, there is a number of reasons why it is not recommended to host in residential areas.

That being said, I do, but everyone knows power is bad in this area and outages are taken into consideration (besides, most people are in same area and if power fails, they are all without power in most cases).