Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KS-2G alternative?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KS-2G alternative?

Can anybody provide a dedicated (or VPS) solution that can match OVH's sold-out KS-2G dedicated servers? I solely want to use it as cheap off-site storage for personal backups. Memory, processor aren't anywhere near as important as storage and bandwidth. I'd prefer somewhere in Europe, but US/Canada are also fine.

Comments

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited August 2013

@kintamanimatt said:
    I solely want to use it as cheap off-site storage for personal backups. Memory, processor aren't anywhere near as important as storage and bandwidth.

Nothing beats Backupsy's storage servers from @serverian. Edit: Fliphost also offers something similiar, I think.

• Insert signature spam here

Thanked by 1hien
  • AsadAsad Member

@serverian will you price match OVH?

• @AsadHaider said:
    serverian will you price match OVH?

Never! Go ask them to match my quality.

Thanked by 1isalem
  • @serverian said:
    Never! Go ask them to match my quality.

What's wrong with OVH's quality?

• ztecztec Member

@kintamanimatt said:
    What's wrong with OVH's quality?

He's got a company to promote, it was a great reply imo.

• kintamanimattkintamanimatt Member
    edited August 2013

@ztec said:
    He's got a company to promote, it was a great reply imo.

I admire his hustle! I was wondering if he knew something about OVH's quality that I don't!

• ztecztec Member

@kintamanimatt said:
    I admire his hustle! I was wondering if he knew something about OVH's quality that I don't!

ks-2g is fine for backups.

• @serverian said:
    Insert signature spam here

The signature promises $7 / month, but I can't find that price on your site!

• spekkspekk Member
    edited August 2013

I think you can't beatthat price, even with a VPS it's hard to beat it, but well, the quality, the quality has been good up until now, the only problem with it is that it's RAID-0, so basically not suitable for backups, that is why it's better to get a VPS solution, but now it depends from where because there are many summer hosts out there.

@serverian is ok, I saw him for a long time here and lowendbox, i would trust him with my data, i simply did not try his services because I do not have any data to store(~500GB)

anyway, there are more companies offering this like buyvm which I think is performing ok also, and they have reasonable prices, still I saw it's hard to get one because of the 'Out of stock all all the time' issue

but the price matching well... quantity and quality for low prices, comes only from big companies that offer it at a loss (e.g. see all the free trials from DO, they can afford giving 2 months for free)

• There's no alternative. Closest match would be this: http://www.online.net/fr/serveur-dedie/dedibox-scg2

edited August 2013

@awson said:
    There's no alternative. Closest match would be this: http://www.online.net/fr/serveur-dedie/dedibox-scg2

For that price I could get 1TB storage with OVH!

• @kintamanimatt said:
    For that price I could get 1TB storage with OVH!

You said you wanted OVH alternatives. That's the cheapest you'll get.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2013

the only problem with it is that it's RAID-0

KS2G is not RAID0, it comes with one HDD, so no RAID whatsoever.

That said, I think it is silly to require RAID for backups. It's backups for crying out loud, you already also have this stuff elsewhere, why do you care if you lose the backups? If the HDD breaks, make the host replace it, then just upload your backups again... not the greatest problem in the world, just some spent bandwidth.

This one is not sold to customers outside France, we only get the same server with a 160GB HDD. And honestly I am so sick of the french behaving like that, I won't order ANY server from online.net while that Nazi policy is in place.

Thanked by 2kintamanimatt marrco
  • @awson said:
    You said you wanted OVH alternatives. That's the cheapest you'll get.

No, I said I wanted a KS-2G alternative, i.e. 500GB storage (RAID-0 is fine) for about £3 / month, or equivalent. I have nothing against OVH and if they had more KS-2Gs for sale today I'd be buying one!

• Swiftway is also getting into the online storage game starting October 1st (Chicago and Netherlands): 500GB storage, 1GB RAM, 5TB transfer,$5 monthly.
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/12828/swiftway-1gb-ram-kvm-500gb-hdd-for-5

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @DomainBop said:
    Swiftway is also getting into the online storage game starting October 1st (Chicago and Netherlands): 500GB storage, 1GB RAM, 5TB transfer,$5 monthly.
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/12828/swiftway-1gb-ram-kvm-500gb-hdd-for-5

They offered a 36EUR/month dedicated server on WHT. I billed one. Will be delivered in a view days :)

• @rm_ said:
    That said, I think it is silly to require RAID for backups. It's backups for crying out loud, you already also have this stuff elsewhere, why do you care if you lose the backups? If the HDD breaks, make the host replace it, then just upload your backups again... not the greatest problem in the world, just some spent bandwidth.

One scenario would be messing up something in the production system, going to your backup, and finding that it is corrupted. It is not that rare.

• Can anybody provide a dedicated (or VPS) solution that can match OVH's sold-out KS-2G dedicated servers? NO

• @Sonwebhost said:
    Can anybody provide a dedicated (or VPS) solution that can match OVH's sold-out KS-2G dedicated servers? NO

^ This.

• @Sonwebhost said:
    Can anybody provide a dedicated (or VPS) solution that can match OVH's sold-out KS-2G dedicated servers? NO

Well, that was profoundly unhelpful.

• ztecztec Member

@kintamanimatt said:

He probably quoted his fortune cookie

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@kintamanimatt said:

That's the truth. Deal with it

Thanked by 1Droidzone
  • @kintamanimatt said:
    The signature promises $7 / month, but I can't find that price on your site!

If you click checkout, you'll see the coupon code is already applied. It's GOTMEADEAL if you want to enter it by hand. Let me know if you need bigger storage than that.

Oktay

Thanked by 1kintamanimatt
    edited August 2013

@netomx said:
    That's the truth. Deal with it

Well, apparently @serverian is able to do $7/month. This works out to be about £4.40/month, which is a really great price and not materially more than a KS-2G! So the Magic 8 Ball "NO" response is not only incorrect, but unhelpful also.

@kintamanimatt said:
    Well, apparently serverian is able to do $7/month. This works out to be about £4.40/month, which is a really great price and not materially more than a KS-2G! So the Magic 8 Ball "NO" response is not only incorrect, but unhelpful also.

They told you several times about Backupsy already

• @netomx said:
    They told you several times about Backupsy already

Yeah, I know, which is why I mentioned it when @Sonwebhost said that there was nothing comparable. Read what my reply was in reply to because I think you're confused.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

I don't get the backupsy thing. Is it just one or two guys spamming this site? Their pricing is not all that great. Also...math. 250GB + 1000GB bandwidth. Ok for long term archiving with that cap and but nothing else. For that price it's just ok.

It is for backup only

• backupsy is also a brain-dead way to get FreeNAS up and running in 10s.