Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Just Raised Prices of All Servers? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Just Raised Prices of All Servers?

13»

Comments

• Clouvider said: Are we talking their FR PoP prices?

Yes, country agnostic since in many cases, a few hundred miles wrt location makes little difference.

• OVH price increase a lot but SYS price still reasonable. Seems now online are more cheaper.

• Someone has to pay for all those new datacenters.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2017

@Edward_S said:
    OVH price increase a lot but SYS price still reasonable. Seems now online are more cheaper.

Considering the bad quality of their network: no thank you.

Thanked by 1Zerpy
  • Looks like Octave Klaba had to -

1. sell all the generators

2. get rid of dual power feeds

3. increase prices of all servers

for some next gen Anti-DDoS shit, only to realize that best Anti-DDoS mechanism would involve something as simple as NOT having redundant power supplies for the network equipment or the fucking servers that the clients pay good money for.

Way to go, OVH.

• K4Y5 said: sell all the generators

get rid of dual power feeds

increase prices of all servers

Well, if you wanna make some money and have the company grow... simple math would say those are right decisions. Not sure if that's a good long term strategy though.

(You say a few mistakes: generators are still there, just the tanks are empty (they expected petrol price would go down in a few month). They have the dual power feeds but both happen to be down at the same time. (which is weird - would they both go through a common point of failure?)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

datanoise said: They have the dual power feeds but both happen to be down at the same time. (which is weird - would they both go through a common point of failure?)

This happens sometimes. For example, in the UK it's impossible to get 2 power feeds from 2 different providers. I suppose it might be similar in FR. So you can get them redundant as far as you can, which is probably to get a cable from 2 different distributions.

But keeping tanks empty, wow. This is some next generation screw up. This is critical after all.

Clearly there's a process failure there, likely involved with cost cutting exercises, that has sought up with them now.

Thanked by 1szarka
  • Hopefully with the funds from the price increase they can spend some money on their infrastructure...although I doubt it they probably won't learn from the current experience. Shows the true cost of cheap hosting.

Thanked by 2Clouvider datanoise
  • datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited November 2017

Clouvider said: it might be similar in FR. So you can get them redundant as far as you can, which is probably to get a cable from 2 different distributions.

Yeah, even if it's managed by the same company it would be better to have two cables go to two different power plants: would be hard to have both down at the same time. (Physically I mean). Except if they'd have to follow the same route which kinda limit the interest of having two cables. Would be costly as the infrastructure is already built. Don't know exactly how is the network around their facilities.

Clouvider said: keeping tanks empty

That was a joke in anwer to @K4Y5's crazy hypothesis. By the way some random guy on twitters heard them running last week. Not sure what happened.

• @Cloudvider depending where their DC is exactly located, two cables to 2 different plants would be possible:

http://www.rte-france.com/fr/la-carte-du-reseau

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited November 2017

-delete-

• datanoise said: That was a joke in anwer to @K4Y5's crazy hypothesis.

Which was again a joke in context of the recent price rise for a non-optional feature, and the current power issues :P

Thanked by 2datanoise Clouvider
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2017

Apparently my KS1 from 2013 at OVH, which was 2.99, then 3.99 now its 7EUR matched to the Kimsufi price.

Neat, they said 1EUR but silently increased all old servers from 2013 to the regular price. KS4C from Kimsufi only got 1EUR+.

Since then https://fusa.is/offer/?opt=dedi is cheaper then OVH, haha did not see that comming.

• lycidelycide Member
    edited January 2018

Neoon said:

Apparently my KS1 from 2013 at OVH, which was 2.99, then 3.99 now its 7EUR matched to the Kimsufi price.

I have been paying yearly for the last couple of years with a nice 25%ish discount, and the annual price has only gone up by 1GBP/mo (£30 -> £42) while the price for three or six months is the full 7EUR as you say.
    Don't think I'll be renewing.

• Decent rate for inflation..

• boerndboernd Member
    edited January 2018

@Neoon said:

Since then https://fusa.is/offer/?opt=dedi is cheaper then OVH, haha did not see that comming.

yeah with 500GB Traffic

must be a joke

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2018

@lycide said:

Neoon said:

I have been paying yearly for the last couple of years with a nice 25%ish discount, and the annual price has only gone up by 1GBP/mo (£30 -> £42) while the price for three or six months is the full 7EUR as you say.
    Don't think I'll be renewing.

I think its time to let it go, 2013 was fine 2.99 now you are paying 4EUR+ when you paying yearly, keep in mind, its old hardware. Monthly costs you 6EUR.

The thing has 600 benchmark points, kinda slow, so let it go.