Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Just Raised Prices of All Servers? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Just Raised Prices of All Servers?

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Lee said: OVH has a well-tested method, it's called the Heroine Model. Cheap to start out, get you dependant, then hike the price or change the terms. Let's face it, works.

Freakin' protagonists.

• so you say I better spend my whole money to extend my actual dedis for more than just 12 months to keep the price as long as I can (and OVH bound to it) ?

oh lord, going to be a poor cheap christmas then... ;-)

on the other hand... without money, no need to be afraid of blackfriday I guess.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • ehabehab Member
    edited November 2017

@Lee said:
    OVH has a well-tested method, it's called the Heroine Model. Cheap to start out, get you dependant, then hike the price or change the terms. Let's face it, works.

works for those who make profit from their services. one can always cancel if there is an alternative of course.

• LeeLee Veteran

ehab said: works for those who make profit from their services

Like I said, it works.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

As much as some people are moaning, it's not too bad for a lot of customers - they're still considerably cheaper than the competition for me....

E5-1620, 64GB RAM, 2 x 2TB HDD & 16 IPs and DDoS prot in the EU for £45/mo (now £47.. oh no!!! -- Inc. VAT!) isn't something I am going to see beaten by anyone who wants to make a profit I don't think... even £10- extra wouldn't get me with another provider

While I agree it's a bit of a dick move - I'm happy (and I'm sure many others are) to pay for a hike, even if they're not doing it for the reasons that they said they are... (which they obviously aren't.)

Reliable for me, never down because a script kiddie lost a game and plenty of resources.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@LordSpock that’s assuming we’re talking the energy subsidised FR location.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:
    @LordSpock that’s assuming we’re talking the energy subsidised FR location.

Of course we are, and I accept this :) Sometimes it's just not a fair playing field when you get big govt subsidies etc.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

Their Storage line got a huge price hike

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I hope that everyone would realize that IPs are also not free and soon enough, they won't be a one-time fee addon, which will majorly disrupt at least a couple of hosts from here.

• Got this mail a few days back.
    I will have to renew my KS-4C in a few weeks which I got for a discounted rate on one of their sales. Let's see how this reflects at those.

@AlexBarakov said:
    I hope that everyone would realize that IPs are also not free and soon enough, they won't be a one-time fee addon, which will majorly disrupt at least a couple of hosts from here.

It happened before, people haven't learned, many have the entire business model addicted to it, not many seem to care. It will blow up ;]

• Ram prices having an effect

• @WSS said:

@MasonR said:
    puts tinfoil hat on

It's all a plot to say "Our servers are up to 20% off for Black Friday/Cyber Monday", when they are really normally priced after the discount.

..and aliens can't get through a freakin' door.

Jet fuel can't melt steel Kimsufis

or something

• @Clouvider said:

@AlexBarakov said:

It happened before, people haven't learned, many have the entire business model addicted to it, not many seem to care. It will blow up ;]

At least IPs are still a one-time fee =]

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2017

@Amitz said:
    Haha! OVH... And you guys are still surprised each and every time... <3

Yep... OVH fanboys still dont get it, with OVH expect the unexpected.

That being said, the "cloud", hosting, etc, bubble is going to burst if not already. People have increasingly fast connections at home and even mobile, hardware prices are no longer going down, energy prices neither, one blade's capacity grows, the market is not going to grow and margins are thin, owning a large market share is suddenly not so much worth anymore, at least not offering deals so much in the red just to grow the market share because it will grow automatically as other actors leave the market.
    Reality is going to bite and opening new DCs wont be worth it anymore (it is not for some time, but people were always optimistic).
    The future is services, managed, fool-proof hosting, so people can connect their IoT to the "cloud".
    So, OVH, Aruba, Hezner, Online etc will stop scratching the bottom of the barrel, no matter the deals they had once.
    I just hope the existing deals will remain as such, OVH should have kept the prices for existing ones, Aruba keeps the pricing for ongoing instances so far.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@doghouch said:

Thanked by 2Francisco Amitz
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2017

@Neoon said:

@doghouch said:

You have made the switch to expressing your complex thoughts in images.

Thanked by 2Francisco Amitz
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@CConner said:

@Neoon said:

@doghouch said:

You have made the switch to expressing your complex thoughts in images.

Nope - he returned to his roots, actually.

Thanked by 3Amitz CConner ehab
  • Still funny.

• ZareZare Member, Host Rep

l> @corbpie said:

Ram prices having an effect

This is also definitely true. 16GB DDR4 VLP UDIMMS a year ago were around £75-85 a piece, now they are pushing £145-150 depending on quantity purchased. This is expected to rise again as Christmas is coming around, new handsets and consoles use all the RAM :(

• WSWDWSWD Member, Host Rep

You mean you're actually expected to.....pay back all those loans?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@WSWD said:
    You mean you're actually expected to.....pay back all those loans?

They'll just get new VC to pay the old VC.

It's the big league version of "get a new credit card to pay the old one".

Francisco

Thanked by 2WSWD sharuu
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2017

OVH does not know what they are doing...

OVH Newsletter says old 100Mbit OVH servers are exluded, but OVH says they are not.

• Uhm.. the prices of all servers were already raised by 1€ like 3 years ago when they introduced their Anti-DDoS. I personally think it's a mistake. While it allows an individual to have cheap anti-DDoS, it acts as a DDoS magnet precisely because all the people who need protection are going there, which raises overall costs.

Furthermore, I have only ever had problems with it, where it detected legit trafic as DDoS and throttled it.

• I think of it as a form of state tax. Country A (a host without DDoS protection) is prone to war, while country B (OVH) has taken steps to curb war.

Living in country B, every citizen (customer) is required to pay tax to crowdfund the actions of Government (DDoS protection) - so everyone benefits, and those who don’t want to pay are free o move to another country.

I like their approach and the fee increases still fall within market norms.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh (for some).

• @WebProject said:
    if they start charge for Anti-DDoS they should deliver it as service, as it's plenty reviews about their Anti-DDoS is sucks.

IDK where you're getting your info at. The biggest Gmod servers use ovh as well as the biggest teamspeak and some of the biggest MC servers. IDK how they would stay at the top of the server lists if the anti ddos didn't work especially because MC and Gmod are known for attracting toxic players

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

AlexJones said: IDK where you're getting your info at.

google for it, as it's mixed bag.

• More expensive, but value wise, not much better around, is there? There's a couple of European providers I could move to quickly from OVH for not-a-huge-price-difference, tens of pounds rather than hundreds for half a dozen dedis.

@ricardo said:
    More expensive, but value wise, not much better around, is there? There's a couple of European providers I could move to quickly from OVH for not-a-huge-price-difference, tens of pounds rather than hundreds for half a dozen dedis.

Are we talking their FR PoP prices?