Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Email hosting/delivery after moving to VPS from shared host
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Email hosting/delivery after moving to VPS from shared host

(Initially posted this on /r/Webhosting, but after not receiving any assistance on three different posts, figured someone here may have an idea.)

Working on getting a Vultr VPS set up (with Runcloud for management) for the handful of WP sites I have. Got one WP instance migrated successfully, but not quite ready to transfer the domain yet because I haven't figured out my email plan yet, so looking for some guidance there.

As of this point, I'm really the only actual user accessing the email accounts, but I do have one or two emails per domain for various uses. Probably adding one other user for her domain's emails at some time.

I'm a bit uncertain on a few things. I did set up a Mailgun account for delivery, but I don't have anything for actually managing email accounts. I know there's options out there like Rackspace email, MXroute, Fastmail, and G Suites.

• Rackspace will force me to buy more accounts than I necessarily want/need.
  • Fastmail looks interesting, but again a bit more than I'd like to spend for now.
  • MXroute looks perfect, but I don't know much about the actual functionality within the service other than there's cpanel functionality.
  • G Suites doesn't seem to play well with multiple domains?
  • Totally not going to buy a legacy G Apps account haha.
  • I don't have the patience or time to maintain a roll-your-own on my VPS, nor do I want to fuss with reputation lol

Currently, I have two Gmail accounts which have the various other email accounts added, and I use the Checker Plus for Gmail Chrome extension for easy access to both accounts. I'd really like to keep things easy to manage the various email accounts with WP update info, Wordfence reports, etc. So far, the Gmail setup works, but I know that I'm limited on amount of accounts I can add to each Gmail account.

Basically, at this point I'm not sure what I should do for creating/managing email accounts, and have a few main questions, some technical, some workflow-based:

• Should I just set up MXroute, and continue the whole personal Gmail account game?
  • Does G Suites work well with multiple accounts on multiple domains, even though it's going to be $5 per physical user?
  • Does G Suites even work with extensions like Checker Plus? lol
  • If I set up MXroute (or any other service) do I even need Mailgun, as I'm not sending out massive amounts of emails?
  • Should I just bite the bullet and move to thick clients for desktops/mobile? Maybe even an Exchange/O365 server? I wouldn't be opposed to it, if I can guarantee that all devices will be in sync (why hello there, IMAP, you sexy beast!) and still be easy to manage, and have good clients on all devices haha

I know it's kind of a general issue, I'm just really stumped as to what I should be doing to move forward, so any sort of guidance or idea that I've been missing would be super helpful. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• gleertgleert Member, Host Rep

tf5bassist said: Rackspace will force me to buy more accounts than I necessarily want/need.

We're a Rackspace email reseller, we can don't have a minimum number of mailboxes. Let me know if you're interested.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited October 2017

@gleert said:

tf5bassist said: Rackspace will force me to buy more accounts than I necessarily want/need.

We're a Rackspace email reseller, we can don't have a minimum number of mailboxes. Let me know if you're interested.

Are you having a stroke?

@OP I actually went to @MailCheap after decades of self-hosting, followed by about 5 years of using Google for non-business out of laziness.

Within three days, I was setup and Pavin even helped me setup msmtp so I could relay my system messages. You don't get service like that from anyone except @jarland when he could afford the time.

Not sure about any BlackFriday specials, but he has a 20GB setup at $20/yr.

Thanked by 1mailcheap
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2017

Don't need mailgun with MXroute, I pay for the best email delivery money can buy, and charge you a tiny fraction of a fraction of what it costs me :)

• @jarland said:
    Don't need mailgun with MXroute, I pay for the best email delivery money can buy, and charge you a tiny fraction of a fraction of what it costs me :)

Indeed, happy and satisfied user here :)

Thanked by 1jar
  • @WSS said:
    Are you having a stroke?

huehuehue :D

@OP I actually went to @MailCheap after decades of self-hosting, followed by about 5 years of using Google for non-business out of laziness.

Within three days, I was setup and Pavin even helped me setup msmtp so I could relay my system messages. You don't get service like that from anyone except @jarland when he could afford the time.

Not sure about any BlackFriday specials, but he has a 20GB setup at $20/yr.

I'm really kind of torn between MXroute and Mailcheap haha. I like what @jarland has going on, and that it's straight up no-bullshit email. But looking into Mailcheap, I do see that there's more storage for the money. And throw in calendaring and whatnot, it looks pretty decent. But I don't see that specific plan on the Mailcheap website. Maybe I'm just tired, but I only see the monthly ones.

@jarland said:

Good to know! As long as my WP installs can get the maintenance emails (and other system emails) to me and I can still send out my own, that works for me.

So, looks like I just have to make a decision. Always the part I have the most trouble with haha.

Also, if anyone has any ideas on managing multiple email accounts, clients used on various devices, and general workflow, I'd be interested in hearing how some other people do things. Always looking for new ways to streamline workflows!

Thanked by 1jar
  • It's actually $24 ($1.99/mo) - https://www.mailcheap.co/email.html

I've had no issue with MXRoute, either. Use whichever works for you.

• TimRooTimRoo Member
    edited November 2017

@OP I've been in the same boat for a month or two, though my case is more that I want to get away from Google's grip. Since we're only a few weeks from Black Friday/Cyber Monday, etc., might as well wait if you can. Something might happen to make the decision very easy.

EDIT: Or check out @jarland's latest deal that he put up after my post: https://billing.mxroute.com/index.php?rp=/announcements/107/Black-Friday-2017.html

• I currently have 3 virus and spam scanning MTAs on various VPS and an IMAP mailserver on a VM elsewhere for 2 domains. I have a lot of custom spamassassin rules, shared cached DNS for RLB lookups, Letsencrypt generated certificates for TLS, filtering mails into different mailboxes and all sorts of other overkill that you get when you play with this stuff for fun.

I'm thinking of moving to an email provider, but the lack of info on the various vendor's sites scares me off.

How much can I do with MXRoute / Mailcheap / other? Or rather, what am I going to have to learn to live without?

• @WSS said:
    It's actually $24 ($1.99/mo) - https://www.mailcheap.co/email.html

The $7/ year I got with MXRoute @jarland, is pretty solid so far.

• +1 for MxRoute. I've been using it for over a year and it's been real value for money.

• @vovler said:

@WSS said:
    It's actually $24 ($1.99/mo) - https://www.mailcheap.co/email.html

The $7/ year I got with MXRoute @jarland, is pretty solid so far.

Was about to post that Mailcheap doubled their prices since WSS said that, and they have, but they’ve since added a new 10 GB plan at $2/month.

• I'm in the exact same boat, and have been for the last 1 month.

I currently have 2 domains that I want to setup at-least 1 email on each one. If I go with g-suite it will cost me $5 dollar a month per user, which in my opinion adds up once you get more than 1-2.

I'm so used to gmail interface that it would be a bitch to move out of it. I use labels extensively , and love the filter system gmail has. Moving to something inferior like @jarland cpanel mxroute service will reduce my cost MASSIVELY as I can just get the lowest plan available and not worry about how many accounts or domains I have.

However. the cpanel thingy puts me off as I have never used a shared hosting panel or bought shared hosting in my life. I've only managed vps and dedis. I think I will wait till black friday to see if any specials come long that make me change my decision from going with google g-suite.

• @IAlwaysBeCoding said:
    I'm so used to gmail interface that it would be a bitch to move out of it. I use labels extensively , and love the filter system gmail has. Moving to something inferior like @jarland cpanel mxroute service will reduce my cost MASSIVELY as I can just get the lowest plan available and not worry about how many accounts or domains I have.

Honestly, give MXRoute a try. I'm sure he'll have a smaller BF deal popping up soon and for the sake of $5/year you may as well have a try. It's not Google, I get ya, but It just works

• Heh, when you've hosted your own mailservers, "having a try" of someone else's setup is a frightening proposition. It's not like you can run 2 at the same time and see which you prefer! I'm kinda tempted by MXRoute but the info and knowledgebase on @jarland's site don't answer many of my questions.

uhu said: the info and knowledgebase on @jarland's site don't answer many of my questions

In a way, that might actually answer questions ;)

By that I mean, if I don't advertise it, I probably don't provide it. It is exactly what is advertised, not much else to it. What confuses me is how many people actually ask me to document all of the things that it's not, but seems to me having a list of features not relevant to the product would actually be the more confusing thing.

Thanked by 1JackH
  • Fair enough, that's one way of doing things. You might just tempt me with a BF deal.

• @jarland any smaller special pricing package coming up this black friday?

• @uhu said:
    Fair enough, that's one way of doing things. You might just tempt me with a BF deal.

Look in his sig.

@Chalipa said:
    @jarland any smaller special pricing package coming up this black friday?

Possible, probably won't decide until right before. I "yolo" every offer.

• @jarland Did you go "Administrator without Signature" or something earlier today?

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited November 2017

Any email providers that offer a dedicated IP for around $1.99 a month? Not that I need it, but I like SPF settings that use a dedicated IP and PTR ;)

edited November 2017

@WSS said:
    @jarland Did you go "Administrator without Signature" or something earlier today?

Nope, did my signature disappear or something? Only been on mobile so I wouldn't have noticed.

@sureiam said:
    Any email providers that offer a dedicated IP for around $1.99 a month? Not that I need it, but I like SPF settings that use a dedicated IP and PTR ;)

Is it the look of the SPF record that's most important or the quality of delivery? A warmed up and heavily whitelisted IP is worth more than a fresh one, and you only keep it warm by sending mail through it or having a lot of weight to throw around (aka size, money, and influence), which means heavy potential benefits for well managed shared IPs unless going through a major provider (like sendgrid).

On the lower price end of things, that's more financially viable than highly trusted dedicated IPs like you can get through sendgrid, meaning you're more likely to get better quality shared than dedicated at a low price point.

No I'm not advertising my service, just chatting. Death to mxroute, bad service don't use it.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

@jarland said:

@WSS said:
    @jarland Did you go "Administrator without Signature" or something earlier today?

Nope, did my signature disappear or something?

Not that I can find from here, but nobody seems to be able to read it.

@jarland said:
    Death to mxroute, bad service don't use it.

Signed. This dude hates Turkish Journalists!

Thanked by 1jar

@WSS said:

@jarland said:

@WSS said:

Nope, did my signature disappear or something?

Not that I can find from here, but nobody seems to be able to read it.

My orders this month disagree. Launched a new server in Dallas due to unexpectedly high interest in the current offer. May launch one more for Black Friday itself, when people are actually looking for the offer.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

@jarland said:
    My orders this month disagree. Launched a new server in Dallas due to unexpectedly high interest in the current offer. May launch one more for Black Friday itself, when people are actually looking for the offer.

I.. saw that. I couldn't remember if that text was in there before I read it earlier in the week, or not. It's been crazy here when not shitposting my brains out. Congratulations!

• @jarland said:

@sureiam said:

Is it the look of the SPF record that's most important or the quality of delivery? A warmed up and heavily whitelisted IP is worth more than a fresh one, and you only keep it warm by sending mail through it or having a lot of weight to throw around (aka size, money, and influence), which means heavy potential benefits for well managed shared IPs unless going through a major provider (like sendgrid).

On the lower price end of things, that's more financially viable than highly trusted dedicated IPs like you can get through sendgrid, meaning you're more likely to get better quality shared than dedicated at a low price point.

Well I was trying to be tactful but yes that's my concern. I send very few emails and I worry some random webhost's email service won't care that a ton of emails are being sent from this shared IP just that some random blocklist flagged it. Fresh IP or not with a DKIM, Solid SPF and DMARC it's unlikely the emails will get flagged. But what do I know your the guy sending thousands of emails a day ;)

Just trying to get some insight into what would happen if a shared IP wad flagged in a prominent block list

edited November 2017

sureiam said: Well I was trying to be tactful but yes that's my concern. I send very few emails and I worry some random webhost's email service won't care that a ton of emails are being sent from this shared IP just that some random blocklist flagged it. Fresh IP or not with a DKIM, Solid SPF and DMARC it's unlikely the emails will get flagged. But what do I know your the guy sending thousands of emails a day ;)

>

Just trying to get some insight into what would happen if a shared IP wad flagged in a prominent block list

I feel ya. Many different approaches. Just keep in mind that a provider who doesn't care much about their IP space selling a dedicated IP can be just as bad as a shared one due to full subnet listings being a thing with spamhaus and even Microsoft. In that case, shared or dedicated, blacklisting can be the same.

Now I am hyping my product a little though, but really by hyping my vendor: Blacklists are used almost exclusively for rejecting email rather than filtering it, as you're no doubt aware. I don't offer dedicated IPs because they're inferior to the product I pay I for, MailChannels. If one of their IPs is rejected for being on a blacklist, they re-send it from a different IP and never bounce back to the sender.

It allows reuse of IPs that may be on obscure blacklists which is nice, because you hate to throw away an IP because 5 customers need to send emails to one obscure provider that happens to subscribe to one obscure blacklist. Bonus of never having the neighbor effect ever again :)

That's really my claim to fame, it's my most valuable asset. I'm building my own to replace MailChannels too, the logic is complete, all that remains is the work. Admittedly, it's a lot of work, it's still a ways out.

• @WSS said:

@uhu said:
    Fair enough, that's one way of doing things. You might just tempt me with a BF deal.

Look in his sig.

Thanks, I'd seen it, which is what prompted me to consider ditching my current set up, but it wasn't enough to tempt me. I'm not in any rush and won't need 100GB of email space for years, so I'll see what Friday brings.

• @jarland said:

I feel ya. Many different approaches. Just keep in mind that a provider who doesn't care much about their IP space selling a dedicated IP can be just as bad as a shared one due to full subnet listings being a thing with spamhaus and even Microsoft. In that case, shared or dedicated, blacklisting can be the same.

Now I am hyping my product a little though, but really by hyping my vendor: Blacklists are used almost exclusively for rejecting email rather than filtering it, as you're no doubt aware. I don't offer dedicated IPs because they're inferior to the product I pay I for, MailChannels. If one of their IPs is rejected for being on a blacklist, they re-send it from a different IP and never bounce back to the sender.

It allows reuse of IPs that may be on obscure blacklists which is nice, because you hate to throw away an IP because 5 customers need to send emails to one obscure provider that happens to subscribe to one obscure blacklist. Bonus of never having the neighbor effect ever again :)

That's really my claim to fame, it's my most valuable asset. I'm building my own to replace MailChannels too, the logic is complete, all that remains is the work. Admittedly, it's a lot of work, it's still a ways out.

I feel like though you gotta be a pretty relaxed provider if you end up getting your whole subnet on a blocklist. But it's a valid point.

Mail channels is pretty impressive. How would you go about setting up DMARC reject checks? Same as gsuite? SPF to a hostname and dkim?

sureiam said: I feel like though you gotta be a pretty relaxed provider if you end up getting your whole subnet on a blocklist

Or someone at Microsoft just decides they don't like you. I wish I felt like I was exaggerating, as the recipient of this reality at two very separate companies. I think it's part of their plan to drive office365 sales tbh.

sureiam said: Mail channels is pretty impressive. How would you go about setting up DMARC reject checks? Same as gsuite? SPF to a hostname and dkim?

Yeah pretty much same as most else. Add an include for relay.mailchannels.net on the SPF, they'll pass DKIM headers from your host, and then just handle DMARC however you like.