Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SyS (OVH) will charge for Anti-DDoS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SyS (OVH) will charge for Anti-DDoS

Just recieved this :

`Dear Customer,

We are always committed to providing you with the best quality services.

With 4 Tbit/s of anti-DDoS capacity, we’re able to block more than 2,000 DDoS attacks per day and around 20 large-scale attacks each week, without letting them affect your services.

However, the war against DDoS attacks is a race against time. Today, we are always one step ahead, but we must always remain at the forefront of innovation, to ensure that your services remain accessible during DDoS attacks that are increasing in both frequency and volume.

To achieve this, we need to take even further measures to secure our network - and for this reason, we have decided to charge for this service, which will be included by default in all eligible solutions.

These price increases will affect both new and existing customers. For all new orders, our website will now display the new prices.

For So you Start services that are currently in use, the extra cost of anti-DDoS protection will be applied from 1st December onwards, when they are renewed.

The pricing for Game servers will not change, as Anti-DDoS Game is already included in the price.`

well bums.

Comments

• Sure :-) And it will still be cheap.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
  • interesting enough I did not get any mail like that yet. neither on SYS nor OVH directly...
    may also depend on the OVH branch, at least for the date they are going to enforce this?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

SCAM

@Falzo said:
    interesting enough I did not get any mail like that yet. neither on SYS nor OVH directly...
    may also depend on the OVH branch, at least for the date they are going to enforce this?

I just got the email a couple minutes ago. Probably sending out the emails in batches to customers so you'll probably get it within the next hour or so would be my guess.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2017

+1 € / month for Kimsufi

+2 € / month for SoYouStart

+5 € / month for OVH servers with 1Gbps network

+10 € / month for OVH servers with 10Gbps / 25Gbps / 40Gbps network.

For VPS, the cost of Anti-DDoS will be +1 €

This news is already accordion. Not only SYS.

• @Vova1234 said:
    +1 € / month for Kimsufi

yeah could be read at Oles twitter statement, I know. will be an expensive end of the year to extend all existing services before that I guess...

also what about OVH services with less than 1Gbps network?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

Falzo said: also what about OVH services with less than 1Gbps network?

do those even exist?

• @Vova1234 said:
    +1 € / month for Kimsufi

That doesnt even matter, considering the already cheap pricing. Not sure why there is so much noise regarding this.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2017

Rhys said: do those even exist?

Duh? Kimsufi is still mostly 100 Mbit, the Gbit upgrades some are getting are download-side only, and nothing is advertised about that on the website. VPS are 100 Mbit. SoYouStart are only 250 Mbit upload.

Falzo said: interesting enough I did not get any mail like that yet. neither on SYS nor OVH directly...

I bet they are still translating the message into all the languages, that's why the delay.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Oh, well. I can't complain. Even with the increase, the prices are still low. Between the two I have with them, I am only seeing a $13 increase.

• @Rhys said:

do those even exist?

hmm, probably depends on how they define 1Gbps network then:

afaik those special boxes may have a gbps port onboard but are connected to switches which hard-limit the ports to 250mbit. so I wouldn't call that 1Gbps network at all ;-)

• DXDDXD Member

Just for the record: i too don't have any problem paying a buck or two or more . but its a change and we all love drama so why not.

• TomTom Member

So is this an optional charge or mandatory?

@Tom said:
    So is this an optional charge or mandatory?

The latter.

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2017

@Falzo said:

@Rhys said:

do those even exist?

hmm, probably depends on how they define 1Gbps network then:

afaik those special boxes may have a gbps port onboard but are connected to switches which hard-limit the ports to 250mbit. so I wouldn't call that 1Gbps network at all ;-)

Yeah, they're going by physical port speed for these upgrades mandatory money grabs.

• My boxes are going up $20USD a month. Big increase. I might have to do some more shopping around.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@NodePing said:
    My boxes are going up $20USD a month. Big increase. I might have to do some more shopping around.

My guess is, people will switch to their game servers since they said "the price is already included" for the DDoS protection for the game line, but when people do that, they will eventually raise prices on those also again (it already went up from $79 to $89 a few months ago, but they did that under the guise of a CPU change).

Meanwhile, I'm /still/ waiting for the SLA e-mail they said they would send a week and a half ago, regarding the BHS4-5 power outage.

• @NodePing said:
    My boxes are going up $20USD a month. Big increase. I might have to do some more shopping around.

My boxes are going up €13/mo - also some money since most of my OVH/Kimsufi is used for private stuff and are not generating any income.

Little strange that they just can increase the price on specials. All my boxed is some kind of specials, and I was promised that price for the duration of the contract.
    On my OVH box this price increase is around 13% and for all 7 Kimsufi boxes the increase is 12.5%. Where in my contracts did that say that they could just increase my price with 13/12.5%??

• @myhken said:

@NodePing said:

My boxes are going up €13/mo - also some money since most of my OVH/Kimsufi is used for private stuff and are not generating any income.

Little strange that they just can increase the price on specials. All my boxed is some kind of specials, and I was promised that price for the duration of the contract.
    On my OVH box this price increase is around 13% and for all 7 Kimsufi boxes the increase is 12.5%. Where in my contracts did that say that they could just increase my price with 13/12.5%??

Section 5.4 of their terms of service. https://www.kimsufi.com/en/termsofservice/general_conditions_of_service_kimsufi_servers.pdf

OVH reserves the right to vary the prices at any ti

me, provided that the Customer is notified by email
    or an online
    announcement made on the OVH Website one month in a
    dvance, if the new prices excluding tax are less fa
    vourable to the
    Customer. In this instance, the Customer will have
    a period of one month from the date of notificatio
    n to terminate this
    Agreement without penalty. If the Agreement is no
    t terminated, the Customer will be deemed to have a
    ccepted the new
    tariffs. Price changes will apply to all contracts
    , and especially ongoing contracts

• Look there...of course they had this covered. But and average 12.75% increase for my OVH/Kimsufi products it's a lot.

• What if you don't want/need their anti ddos service?

• @WebGuru said:
    What if you don't want/need their anti ddos service?

You still have to pay and it's mandatory. Anyway in this day and age a DDoS Protection does make sense and I guess you should be prepared to bear the costs.
    If you cant well go somewhere else and hope the time you put in transferring your project and the new hosts stability/performance will be worth it.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@WebGuru said:
    What if you don't want/need their anti ddos service?

Too bad it seems.

I think this is just a guise for them wanting to bump rates.

Francisco

Thanked by 1NodePing
  • @rm_ said:

Falzo said: interesting enough I did not get any mail like that yet. neither on SYS nor OVH directly...

I bet they are still translating the message into all the languages, that's why the delay.

now the mails reached my mailbox too. I still find it a bit fuzzy that they include links to 'see new prizces' yet there is nothing to see at all. only for the public cloud thing there is a mentioning on their page that includes a pricing list.

any way. one year extensions here I come.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Imagine the scenes if all our Kimsufi specials went back to full price as a result of this.

SCENES

Thanked by 1WSS
  • arnoftwarnoftw Member, Host Rep

What are the prices for the Protection services does anyone know that?

• FoxelVoxFoxelVox Member
    edited October 2017

@arnoftw said:

scroll up douche

• arnoftwarnoftw Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2017

@FoxelVox said:

@arnoftw said:

scroll up douche

Ah i see thats a big difference :O

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@NodePing said:

Forgive the intrusion. Happy to help here :-). We can work toward some aggressive deal, and most definitely we won’t charge you for protection.

If you’re interested, please have a look at https://www.clouvider.co.uk/dedicated-and-colocation/dedicated-servers/ as a baseline for the conversation.

Happy Halloween!