Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner server hard disks "confiscated by district court"??? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner server hard disks "confiscated by district court"???

1235»

Comments

• The same happened to us before. They simply put new drives and reinstalled the OS.
    No more details where provided!

• Something with darknet (illegal marketplaces) crossed my mind. Especially after these news articles that the police first confiscated hard drives to later take over such sites, so they can collect information of all users without them knowing it.

That might explain why Hetzner put the drives and the servers back. At least that happened in The Netherlands a few months ago.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2017

DennisdeWit said: without them knowing it.

That is pretty hard to assume when the OP opened a ticket and they told him the police confiscated them...
    I mean, which idiot will continue to run the business as usual IF they are involved in something nasty? They could have simply copied the data, not that it is very hard to do...

Clouvider said: I read what I wrote and I seriously consider disabling the dictionary.

The moment when you read what you wrote and don't understand what you meant... Priceless...

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

DennisdeWit said: That might explain why Hetzner put the drives and the servers back.

They put replacement drives in the server.

• @Rhys said:

DennisdeWit said: That might explain why Hetzner put the drives and the servers back.

They put replacement drives in the server.

You can put replacement drives in, and have a port mirror on it. You can even put things to monitor and read the hard drive via adapters.

edited November 2017

AlyssaD said: You can put replacement drives in, and have a port mirror on it. You can even put things to monitor and read the hard drive via adapters.

Yeah, but it makes no sense now.
    The downtime, the reply they gave and the replacement drives are a dead giveaway the police is looking for something. You must be at least insane to continue to restore from backups and operate the same supposedly illegal thing that got their attention in the first place.

• AlyssaDAlyssaD Member
    edited November 2017

@Maounique said:

AlyssaD said: You can put replacement drives in, and have a port mirror on it. You can even put things to monitor and read the hard drive via adapters.

Yeah, but it makes no sense now.
    The downtime, the reply they gave and the replacement drives are a dead giveaway the police is looking for something. You must be at least insane to continue to restore from backups and operate the same supposedly illegal thing that got their attention in the first place.

Some people think they are untouchable, and some are just stupid.

AlyssaD said: Some people think they are untouchable, and some are just stupid.

I do not contest that, I just think Police would not do that or allow the DC to do it if they were actively pursuing something or set up traps.