Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

boostrap websites
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

boostrap websites

I realize that this community primarily deals with servers but I was curious if any of you manage any websites with bootstrap front end UI. Has bootstrap helped you increase traffic? did you hire a coder to develop your bootstrap frontend ? any insights are appreciated.

Comments

• ATHKATHK Member

Bootstrap is really only helpful for easy of use you can have a website up and running with the default styling in minutes that is already responsive.

It is also really easy to integrate into Joomla or existing sites.

I can only see it increasing traffic because its mobile friendly other than that SEO would be your best friend...

You don't need to know much to get a front end up the bootstrap site is very helpful in that sense you would how ever need someone to program extra bits such as forms, if you didn't know how that is.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2013

I used bootstrap because I can't do web design (can't do any design actually :). Personally I prefer websites that use plain HTML without any styling junk, but bootstrap is cool too. I don't see a problem with all websites looking the same in layout; consistence is nice (myspace, facebook).

• @perennate said: Personally I prefer websites that use plain HTML without any styling junk

Amen.

• For my projects, i buy themes from wrapbootstrap

• ATHKATHK Member

@perennate said:
    I don't see a problem with all websites looking the same in layout

Common misconception of bootstrap, you can do a ton of different layout styles see "wrapbootstrap" as @jcaleb mentioned.

Hardly any of them "look the same"

• SolusVM and WHMCS are bootstrap based, so definitely widely used here.

• @ATHK said:

Exactly. I use it in two of my projects. It's cool.

edited August 2013

@ATHK said:

Sure. I was just saying there's not a problem if they do look the same, which they do if you use the basic bootstrap style (which isn't bad).

• ATHKATHK Member

Default style is ok but I wouldn't push that up to a live server due to the fact that it's stock standard .. but that's probably my need for pretty things.

• If I say in this way Bootstrap is just a platform but the actual thing relies with the one using it i.e. the designer/coder and his capability .

• Have you tried Bootstrap 3 RC2?
    would you stick with release 2.X for any particular reason?
    Did you hire a coder to publish your bootstrap website front end?
    How much time do you spend maintaining your bootstrap site per week?
    How much did bootstrap implementation contribute towards increasing your revenues?

• ATHKATHK Member

@corvid said:
    Who are you replying to?

RC2 not yet looked into it something's have changed.
    2.X yes because it's stable, and I have more knowledge of it thus far.

I am a programmer so no.

Don't

And no idea I am a web developer by trade so these are for companies, we don't follow that stuff.

I think you'll just see an increase in mobile and or tablet devices, I suppose this could increase revenues.

• @ATHK said: Who are you replying to?

@ATHK, I am replying to everyone. Thanks for sharing your insights. I am interested to hear from all boostrap users, both programmers and non-programmers.

• @corvid said:
    Have you tried Bootstrap 3 RC2?
    would you stick with release 2.X for any particular reason?
    Did you hire a coder to publish your bootstrap website front end?
    How much time do you spend maintaining your bootstrap site per week?
    How much did bootstrap implementation contribute towards increasing your revenues?

Are you doing an economics assignment or something?

• Bootstrap saves time when coding. Personally, I find that it's a great convenience and really easy to learn.

• Tried Bootstrap RC2 the other day. It's great with new improvements but a lot of the themes / plugins don't work yet.

• @joelgm said: Are you doing an economics assignment or something?

@joelgm, Thanks for asking, I am collecting data necessary to make an informed decision. While I see a lot of gaming related talk on lowendtalk, I suspect that there is some hidden value here for small business in general.

@ATHK said:
    I think you'll just see an increase in mobile and or tablet devices, I suppose this could increase revenues.

@ATHK has indicated that it should increase revenues from greater client suitability.

@Jcaled & @ATHK pointed to themes from wrapbootstrap

@perennate said: I used bootstrap because I can't do web design (can't do any design actually :).

@perennate, I too do not do webdesign.

@concerto49 said: Tried Bootstrap RC2 the other day.....new improvements but a lot of plugins don't work yet.

@RichardLeik Bootstrap saves time when coding. Personally, I find that it's a great convenience and really easy to learn.

Would you still go for Boostrap 3 and expext updates to fix the plugins?

How much time would it take a non-programmer (i.e. me) to learn to depoly a simple starter site?
    What tools do you use to manipulate or edit files?
    Where would you deploy both test bootstrap site and working bootstrap site?

• @corvid said:
    How much time would it take a non-programmer (i.e. me) to learn to depoly a simple starter site?

What do you mean by non programmer? If you don't know html etc why even use bootstrap? Wouldn't it be much easier to modify an existing theme? Bootstrap isn't free and requires lots of work.

The only way to fix the plugins is to wait. They'll be updated soon enough.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Bootstrap is not free? o.o @concerto49

• Either I use default bootstrap design, or buy theme because it's cheaper. It is hard/expensive to have designer who can do good bootstrap theme as it needs both technical and artistic skills.

Will wait 6months+ before try v3 when it becomes mainstream

edited August 2013

What do you mean by non programmer? If you don't know html etc why even use bootstrap? Wouldn't it be much easier to modify an existing theme? Bootstrap isn't free and requires lots of work.

Um, what does HTML/CSS have to do with programming? Maybe JavaScript.

• @netomx said:
    Bootstrap is not free? o.o concerto49

As in it doesn't work straight out of the box mostly. You need to invest time.

@perennate said:

It is a markup / programming language.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited August 2013

@concerto49 said:
    As in it doesn't work straight out of the box mostly. You need to invest time.

Much less than what you'd require if you had to design the css too, yourself, from scratch.

@perennate said:

Stair, Ralph M., et al. (2003). Principles of Information Systems, Sixth Edition, defines a program as "a sequence of instructions, written to perform a specified task with a computer". The computer or a web browser running on a computer (PC/laptop/tablet/smartphone) in this case reads a set of instructions in a markup language, and performs a task of displaying formatted content. So, even though experts have chosen to classify it as a "markup language", the fact remains that html is still, strictly speaking, a program.

@concerto49 said:
    The only way to fix the plugins is to wait. They'll be updated soon enough.

Why go for the latest version at all? Being just css, it isnt like it has any bugs.

• @joelgm said:
    Why go for the latest version at all? Being just css, it isnt like it has any bugs.

I just said I tried it. You can decide if you want the latest version. I'm just reporting feedback on it since someone asked.

• Thanks everyone. please comment on ..

How much time would it take ...to learn to depoly a simple starter site?

• It depends on your skill level

edited August 2013

I wouldn't call HTML/CSS programming any more than I could call writing content in Markdown programming. IMO it is data that is interpreted by a program (as the input to said program) to perform the task.

Anyway, my point was, writing HTML can be the same as writing Markdown or any other rich text. Bootstrap makes it prettier without any extra work than writing plain HTML. I do use HTML without styling often for rich text I need to write, whether or not online.

• skaska Member
    edited August 2013

@perennate said:
    I wouldn't call HTML/CSS programming any more than I could call writing content in Markdown programming. IMO it is data that is interpreted by a program (as the input to said program) to perform the task.

An interpreted language is still a programming language. In fact, CSS could be considered as one as it is turing-complete. Whereas HTML and XML are simply structuring data and therefore not considered as programming languages, XSLT is turing-complete.

As for the topic: wether you use bootstrap or not is a question that can be compared to any use of any framework. Do you want to give up controll in order to achieve something easier or not. Then again, the use of framework might put up a few obstacles that you wouldn't have when coding directly in the language you prefer.

• @jcaleb said: It depends on your skill level

@jcaleb, please assume a skill level of neophyte or simply non-programmer.

@perennate & @ska, forgive me for fanning any debate on theological definition whether editing markup qualifies as programming.

again How much time would it take a neophyte to learn to depoly a simple starter site? What tools do you use to manipulate or edit files? Where would you deploy both test bootstrap site and working bootstrap site?

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited August 2013

Time depends on you the user, we can't give you definite answer it'll be wrong anyway....

I use PHPStorm notepad++ or eclipse

You would want to deploy locally for a speed increase in page viewing and not having to upload files.

Any small VPS would do one that could obviously run a web server apache nginx or lighttpd.. Or a free web host..

If its all straight HTML CSS then it'll be a quick upload.