Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apart from Let's encrypt, what other options exist to obtain free SSL certificates? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Apart from Let's encrypt, what other options exist to obtain free SSL certificates?

1235»

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

@bsdguy said:
    @WSS

Frankly, the reason is pure ignorance and the (probably naive) assumption that with 8.1 I'll be good for another couple of years.

They killed Vista the very same time they killed XP. There were at least a handful of people pissed about that.

I don't think an OS exists that can abuse what resources it are given as much as Windows 8+. It's amazingly painful, even when you try to strip it down. Of course the fact your system will be sending updates and other network goodies transparent to you while wrapped deeply within the system is no reason to be alarmed - just watch the pretty shiny candy-like loading screen (When I saw the 8 installer, the first thing that came to mind was Idiocracy).

@Maounique said:
    And what is wrong with XP? Isolated in a VM used for compiling stuff and all, properly placed after 2 firewalls...

..as long as nothing on it talks to the world without being expressly manually permitted, it's fine. Getting SAMBowned would suck.

• @Maounique said:
    And what is wrong with XP? Isolated in a VM used for compiling stuff and all, properly placed after 2 firewalls...

I still use it for games, even, because of the low footprint i nLited years ago and my crappy machines which are slow on native OS not to mention VMs, also because i have tons of licenses.

An increasing number of things don't work any more with xp. I frequently see that w7+ is the minimum and sometimes even w8+ is required. That's why I took the new installation upon me. sigh

• WSSWSS Member

@bsdguy said:
    An increasing number of things don't work any more with xp. I frequently see that w7+ is the minimum and sometimes even w8+ is required. That's why I took the new installation upon me. sigh

I can see 64 bit builds not working- easily. Most of XP was never made 64 bit, especially noting drivers. 7, however, was just ducky with most devices (that didn't date from XP pre-SP2 era), and many "You need Windows 8" is either a serving suggestion (implied faster computer with more RAM/CPU), or some preinstalled goodies in 8 that you need to download and register for 7.

I have yet to build/find anything that won't work on 7- but then again, that's nothing I care about, so..

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

bsdguy said: An increasing number of things don't work any more with xp.

See, this is why I have this thing, one VM->one task whenever possible. One for compiling, one for old games, with Reboot Restore Rx just in case...
    Virtualization FTW, once you hold a hammer, everything around looks like nails.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @Maounique said:
    See, this is why I have this thing, one VM->one task whenever possible. One for compiling, one for old games, with Reboot Restore Rx just in case...
    Virtualization FTW, once you hold a hammer, everything around looks like nails.

My [whatever version] windows is installed in a vm.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@bsdguy you'll be much happier with either 7 or 10. Windows 8 was horrible.

I mean, they're all horrible, but Win 8 was widely panned and pretty bad.

@Maounique said:
    See, this is why I have this thing, one VM->one task whenever possible.

That's docker, not VMs :-)

• @raindog308 said:
    @bsdguy you'll be much happier with either 7 or 10. Windows 8 was horrible.

I mean, they're all horrible, but Win 8 was widely panned and pretty bad.

@Maounique said:
    See, this is why I have this thing, one VM->one task whenever possible.

That's docker, not VMs :-)

Fuck! One of the reasons for w8.1 was that w10 was said to be utterly shitty and that 8.1 was so much better than 8.0.

Oh well, now I'll stick to it. In the end it boils anyway "just" down to the question which kind of dog poop smells the least vile.

• @bsdguy said:
    My real OS (FreeBSD) uses by far less resources although I have a quite rich set of tools installed. Hate is not big enough a word to describe what I feel for microsoft for their windows crimes.

You can't seriously compare Windows to a *nix operating system. How they (Microsoft) ever became so dominate is mind boggling. Every time my spouse wants me to use the work laptop to help with stuff I spend every breath criticizing how it puts roadblock after roadblock in front of me. It takes so long to accomplish anything and the amount of ram and cpu power needed to do it is equally crazy.

edited October 2017

bsdguy said: My [whatever version] windows is installed in a vm.

That is not what i meant, I meant I use one VM for one task, you said there are things that dont work on XP, fine, but the point is when there is a thing that does work on XP, then one VM to do only that is very OK and XP is the choice because it uses so little resources, with some 50 MB overhead for the actual task and binaries loaded. You can just put up a general purpose (insert version here) in another VM, they wont even compete for resources most of the time unless you are THAT multitasking and when they do compete, the actual VM framework and the OS itself wont add too much weight on the shoulders of the physical machine, even more, due to the 64 bit framework of the more modern OSes, it is possible that the actual task running on the general purpose VM to actually use more resources than running on the XP VM and the OS and virtualization layer together, or, at least, very close.

raindog308 said: That's docker, not VMs :-)

I prefer full isolation, so VM it is (at least for now).

Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

@Maounique said:

raindog308 said: That's docker, not VMs :-)

I prefer full isolation, so VM it is (at least for now).

KVM > docker

Signed.

• @JustAMacUser said:
    ... how it puts roadblock after roadblock in front of me. It takes so long to accomplish anything and the amount of ram and cpu power needed to do it is equally crazy.

Yes, that's what I feel too. Well put.

@Maounique said:
    That is not what i meant, I meant I use one VM for one task, you said there are things that dont work on XP, fine, but the point is when there is a thing that does work on XP, then one VM to do only that is very OK and XP is the choice because it uses so little resources, with some 50 MB overhead for the actual task and binaries loaded. You can just put up a general purpose (insert version here) in another VM, they wont even compete for resources most of the time unless you are THAT multitasking and when they do compete, the actual VM framework and the OS itself wont add too much weight on the shoulders of the physical machine, even more, due to the 64 bit framework of the more modern OSes, it is possible that the actual task running on the general purpose VM to actually use more resources than running on the XP VM and the OS and virtualization layer together, or, at least, very close.

Look, if there is just 1 thing that requires w7, 8, ... then I'll waste those resources anyway. Adding yet another vm with xp wouldn't save resources. And btw, there is just 1 thing, namely to compile stuff and to test run it.

edited October 2017

bsdguy said: Look, if there is just 1 thing that requires w7, 8, ... then I'll waste those resources anyway.

Xp needs some 5 GB of disk to have 4.5 left for a apps on a bare-bone install and if needed attaching an extra disk is done in a few clicks or one line. The virtualization layer including the video and XP OS taken memory can be as low as 50 MB and use 1% of the CPU as overhead. If you cannot waste 5 GB for the sake of isolation and security, plus having a spare XP to test just in case since many people are still using it adding 50-100 MB of ram overhead, then you are cheaper than me and this is very rare.
    And, as i said, if you run anything that can run on 32 over an 64 OS, it will probably use more resources anyway, negating the savings you do by using only one VM for "windowsing".
    Of course, your preferences are your own, I was just motivating my choice.