Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tunneling/ encryption that works in China - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tunneling/ encryption that works in China

Comments

• @doghouch said:
    @jh What a loser! Who uses AMEX anyway...?

Especially after Costco ditched them lol

Little bit offtopic but Caifutong virtual Amex is a well known Linode payment method for Chinese.

• @Fritz said:

@dergelbe said:

@Fritz said:
    I decided to buy a new Sim Card there. It will cost around 200RMB that will last 6 months unmetered Internet included.

You have a link? To my knowledge China has no unmetered SIM.

You can buy it at The Festival. They told me it was unlimited.

Always remember that so-called UNLIMITED transfer SIM cards limits your speed to 384 Kbps in China when you exceeds an exact number of transfer.

• @dergelbe said:

@rustyhalo said:
    WhatsApp is blocked.

Let me repeat: WhatsApp is blocked.

Get at least Lantern, it works well in China.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/126455/china-methods

I will enable data roaming with unlimited plan there. Any suggestion which provider gives the best speed with less cencorship?

From my knowledge most out of country data roaming is unblocked. And I doubt you have a choice of provider in China, it's either CM or CU. If you have a choice, go for CU because of CM's 3G (TD-SCDMA instead of international 3G)

I and my friend each have a TD-SCDMA & TD-LTE compatible phone (I have connected to their TD-SCDMA network before) but we were not able to connect last time I checked. I think they turned off most of their TD-SCDMA BTS now, in multiple cities. It’s probably either TD-LTE or 2G for CM now.

Thanked by 1dergelbe
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@ElliotJ said:

MikePT said: Sorry for the off topic, but we in Portugal are quite limited in terms of bw allocation for our 4G carriers. Is there any chance I can buy a SIM card from another country and use it here? Like, 10/20GB bw or maybe even more.

I guess you could use a Three UK simcard? I'm paying just shy of 20GBP per month, and I can get 35(?)GB in the EU/'feel at home' countries

Will check. Thanks!

• Not sure it still works, but here is a nice ShadowsocksR server installation tutorial:

• the silence city or no the silence country......

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Ok 256cfb still works :)

• It looks like SS is nearing the end of its useful life. This paper claims that it is possible to detect it with 85% accuracy.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8048116/

• Bro, you choose a really good time, the most strictly time of recent 5 years(in fact the whole history).

shadowsocks is still alive here in China, while OpenVPN is fully dead.

Whatsapp is blocked from time to time, depending on your luck.

Having a working shadowsocks proxy is really necessary.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Spoke to a friend in China yesterday, ExpressVPN works well for them.

Lantern seem to have problems according to the many Chinese messages on Github: https://github.com/getlantern/lantern/issues

I guess it really depends on city/area & network. Blocks in China aren't uniform.

• ExpressVPN is showing only 2 servers active this morning - Sweden an d Japan. Both are very slow. Just installed Shadowsocks and it blows away the VPN.

• @netomx said:

On which port and what server location?

@dcamero said:
    It looks like SS is nearing the end of its useful life. This paper claims that it is possible to detect it with 85% accuracy.

ShadwosocksR can be your option.

@tianyi said:
    Bro, you choose a really good time, the most strictly time of recent 5 years(in fact the whole history).

My friend in Nanjing says WhatsApp still works great. Alternatively you can use WeChat that works really good there.

• @Fritz said:

@netomx said:

@dcamero said:
    It looks like SS is nearing the end of its useful life. This paper claims that it is possible to detect it with 85% accuracy.

@tianyi said:
    Bro, you choose a really good time, the most strictly time of recent 5 years(in fact the whole history).

My friend in Nanjing says WhatsApp still works great. Alternatively you can use WeChat that works really good there.

It turns out that he/she is using network provided by ChinaTelecom. I also live in Nanjing but WhatsAPP seems to be blocked unless a VPN is launched.

@Fritz said:

@netomx said:

@dcamero said:

@tianyi said:

8388 and 25. Whatsapp is blocked, too.

• M66BM66B Veteran
    edited October 2017

Although I didn't design VPN/Sentry (as far as I know the only VPN with a firewall), specifically for this purpose, I am curious if it works in China. Currently there is just one server in France (OVH), so this is not ideal for China (VPN/Sentry is in beta testing phase).

• @netomx said:

What about port 443?

edited October 2017

@Fritz said:

@netomx said:

What about port 443?

Should work. My softether is in port 443. I meant to say, port 25 and 8388 working

• last i check, guanzhou @ china mobile with open vpn still works
    but do listen to other, pack as many shit as you can, and as many different vps due to china's absolute terrible routing.

Most of the time I will have the following ready:
    shadowsocks cfb256
    openvpn
    ssh

at vps in singapore/japan/west coast and have backup at home(Hong Kong).

• We have different times now, any information before Oct 2017 might not be valid now.

• @dergelbe said:
    Not sure it still works, but here is a nice ShadowsocksR server installation tutorial:

or you can just launch shadowsocksR.sh from: https://github.com/teddysun/shadowsocks_install

just installed SSR yesterday, hope this also works on Chinese Airport Wi-Fi (SS didn't work there).

• FritzFritz Veteran
    edited October 2017

I confirm that either OpenVPN (port 1194), shadowsocks (port 443) and ShadowsocskR (port 80) works really great here.

I just bught a new sim card, around 150RMB, (internet included 100MB all china mainland, 900MB Guangdong only, 3GB from 23.00-07.00 Guangdong only.)

• @dergelbe said:
    We have different times now, any information before Oct 2017 might not be valid now.

Since ten days ago, several people report SS server IP addresses are being blocked https://github.com/shadowsocks/shadowsocks-libev/issues/1719

• @dergelbe

No English language?

Anyway, all protocols still working by now.

• I also went to China 2 months ago. Back then, I used ocserv(OpenConnect). Work like a charm.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

IPoAC is your best bet. But the packet loss can be an issue in poorer locations, the latency is bad too

Thanked by 1mint
  • @pbgben said:
    IPoAC is your best bet. But the packet loss can be an issue in poorer locations, the latency is bad too

The Party is now claiming Carrier Pigeon Sovereignty (信鸽主权)! Seems like they are going to regulate all of the pigeons, oh no!

• Any update here? While running Shadowsocks recently in China my IP got blocked within an hour. It go released later again, but it seems if I try too often I get a permanent block.

Any solutions around?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Google v2ray

Thanked by 1dergelbe
  • @dergelbe Try a different port with a different password and cipher.