Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

looking for shared hosting or small VPS with good China connection
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

looking for shared hosting or small VPS with good China connection

Hi , looking for a shared hsoting or small VPS , with good connection to China.

which means , somewhere like Korea, Japan , Singapore are preffered, but US west coast is also fine.

it's going to host a wordpress site , I don't mind shared hosting or small VPS

requirements:

direct connection to China.

1. if VPS:

1 core

512MB RAM

10GB space, doesn't matter SSD or HDD

1 IPv4 , IPv6 optional.

KVM preferred , but OVZ is fine

2. if shared hosting

1GB space

Let's encrypt SSL is needed.

budget: for US west coast , I'm thinking 2-ish euro/m or 20-ish per year.

for Asia region , I don't really know the average price for it , but please shoot.

Comments

• If you don't mind for EU location (the Netherlands)
    Here are some reviews of our VPS: https://www.91yun.co/archives/21271
    https://liyuans.com/archives/nicevps.html

• OBHostOBHost Member, Host Rep

We can offer you on Germany, Have a look on package.

x1 CPU Core 
    10GB Space  
    512MB RAM   
    100GB Data  
    1 IP(v4 & v6)   
    Linux   
    $2.50

Order: https://www.obhost.net/cart.php?a=add&pid=137

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

We primarily do HK based hosting (www.hosthongkong.net).

1GB space sounds pretty modest. How much bandwidth do you need? Smallish? If so, we can do a custom offer for you if you're interested.

Our HK based servers have direct routes to China, with low latency and high throughput. In our 15 years of operation, we've never been blacklisted by the Great Firewall and we use fast / modern servers (Xeon E3v5 with SSDs).

If you need a VPS, we do Xen and KVM, but there's no way we can do anything close to 2EUR /month for a VPS. But depending on your bandwidth and other requirements, we can do something low end and low cost for you on shared.

• Asia VPS with China direct route is a lot more expensive, and also depends on you need direct route to which ISP.

Thanked by 1HongdaLim
  • @lihanlin said:
    Asia VPS with China direct route is a lot more expensive, and also depends on you need direct route to which ISP.

Yeah well , I'm thinking US west coast

• I think the real factor is speed. i think JP KR EU USA is ok.

• @nice @OBHost don't be so ignorant to OP's request please. He certainly doesn't need VPS in Europe.

• @randvegeta said:
    We primarily do HK based hosting (www.hosthongkong.net).

For speedy China connection Hong Kong is probably the best choice. Perfect choice for VPN servers too ;-)

dergelbe said: Perfect choice for VPN servers too ;-)

Except 99% of people aren't willing to pay for the BW :-). But the OP is only talking very small amount of BW.

liuxyon said: I think the real factor is speed. i think JP KR EU USA is ok.

I don't know. I don't think JP or KR have particularly strong links to China (oftent congested and still expensive). For raw throughput, USA and EU CAN be okay (depending on the route) but you get much higher latency. Though for a website, latency rarely matters much.

HK generally has the best connectivity to China, in terms of latency, speed and reliability. It's just way more expensive than USA/EU. Some budgets cannot justify the added cost.

But since the OP is looking for a modest shared hosting account, in terms of actual resource cost, it's not totally unreasonable. But at 20 EUR /yr target budget, there isn't really any money to be made either :-).

• OBHostOBHost Member, Host Rep

@bersy said:
    @nice @OBHost don't be so ignorant to OP's request please. He certainly doesn't need VPS in Europe.

He mention good connection to china, he doesn't specify fix countries.

Hope you understand OP request.

Thanked by 1nice
  • @OBHost said:

@bersy said:
    @nice @OBHost don't be so ignorant to OP's request please. He certainly doesn't need VPS in Europe.

He mention good connection to china, he doesn't specify fix countries.

Hope you understand OP request.

I appreciated the offer, I have few major EU providers VPS or tried its looking glass, but test results isn't very promising in comparison with US west.
    Generally I got around 250-300ms ping to various china check point, where I got 150-250 with US west

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2017

OBHost said: Hope you understand OP request.

I hope you do. @bersy is right. Offering a GER or NL location to somebody who is explicitely looking for good China connection is at least borderline spammy.

I also don't get your point ("he doesn't specify fix countries"):

somewhere like Korea, Japan , Singapore are preffered, but US west coast is also fine.

Thanked by 3WSS maverickp pluush
  • bersybersy Member
    edited September 2017

OBHost said: He mention good connection to china, he doesn't specify fix countries.

From what I can see, he actually cpecified. It was also mentioned that direct connection to China is reqired.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • qtwrkqtwrk Member
    edited September 2017

@Amitz said:

OBHost said: Hope you understand OP request.

I hope you do. @bersy is right. Offering a GER or NL location to somebody who is explicitely looking for good China connection is at least borderline spammy.

Anyway, I'm sure he is just trying to make an offer for me, and it's not his intention to do "spam", through It's not exactly suit me, but still I do appreciate it.

It should be my fault as I used word "preferred" where I probably wanted to say "must"

• qtwrk said: Anyway, I'm sure he is just trying to make an offer for me, and it's not his intention to do "spam", through It's not exactly suit me, but still I do appreciate it.

It should be my fault as I used word "preferred" where I probably wanted to say "must"

All good if we're all happy in the end.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • I hope you do. @bersy is right. Offering a GER or NL location to somebody who is explicitely looking for good China connection is at least borderline spammy.

Heztner is doing very well on China connection and is better than QuadraNet. Some other connection in Netherlands and UK are also playing nice.

• @Greyhound said:

Heztner is doing very well on China connection and is better than QuadraNet. Some other connection in Netherlands and UK are also playing nice.

Heard of that Heztner has direct ChinaUnicom connect to China.

• @overclock said:

@Greyhound said:

Heard of that Heztner has direct ChinaUnicom connect to China.

Also play good with China Telecom. Easy to get a 20~30Mbits downloading speed.

Thanked by 1overclock
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

Greyhound said: Also play good with China Telecom. Easy to get a 20~30Mbits downloading speed.

because they have less Chinese customers, once people flock over there , it will go down to single digit for sure

• What a nice aff link.

but telia has bad performance to China.Not a good choice,

• Bandwagonhost CN2. You need to increase your budget a little bit. I think it's around 28 usd if paid annually and apply their coupon.
    512M ram, 10G SSD, KVM.
    They advertise it with direct route via CN2 and China Unicom.

• CamCam Member, Patron Provider

LEB-WEB-1GB
    Free SSL
    3 Websites
    1 GB Full SSD Storage
    50GB Bandwidth
    3 Email Addresses
    3 FTP Users
    ​$1/year - Order Now in LA

• @overclock said:

What a nice aff link.

Why thank you for pointing out that there was a aff link, it's not like it was said in the post or anything right?

@Cam said:
    LEB-WEB-1GB
    Free SSL
    3 Websites
    1 GB Full SSD Storage
    50GB Bandwidth
    3 Email Addresses
    3 FTP Users

Would also recommend them, Qudranet (their datacenter) has direct China routes, just can't say how well it is. Should be enough to use, I think.

Consider hosting at Hong Kong with someone with direct china routes if you want excellent performance, it'll be expensive compared to the stuff on the US west coast. Try @randvegeta's Host Hong Kong promo, you can get a VPS at $7 if you look at the promos here.

Thanked by 2Cam randvegeta
  • @Edmond said:
    Well Virmach doesn't have direct China routes but they have China route via Telia and the ping isn't bad from LA.

You can test connection with the page here.

Getting around 180-190ms with China Unicom Shandong (and seems to go via GTT). China Telecom Guangdong was around 190ms as far as I remember.

I happen to have one of the ancient super-cheap Bandwagonhost plans (3 USD/y) and they do a decent job for a decent price (in any of their West Coast DCs - maybe except Fremont).
    In Guangdong I got up to 40 Mbit/s using CT 4G and even a bit more with CT GD FTTx, however quite a bit of fluctuation. In the evening it could drop as low as 1-3 Mbit/s.
    On CU SD it's a tad more stable and I still get up to 2 MB/s.

In your case I'd just settle for something in LAX, SEA or YVR for best value.

Europe is an adventure for China, sometimes you can be lucky and go as low as 170ms, but it's not exactly very likely.

Russia with China uplinks is not that cheap and still not all that great, especially in the South.

If you have money to burn, just go for Korea, I had great experiences everywhere with kdatacenter (on SK Telecom), but it's not cheap. Maybe you can find some inexpensive shared hosting in Korea, but frankly I do not know any.

edited October 2017

Deleted

• @Edmond said:

@overclock said:

What a nice aff link.

Why thank you for pointing out that there was a aff link, it's not like it was said in the post or anything right?

@Cam said:
    LEB-WEB-1GB
    Free SSL
    3 Websites
    1 GB Full SSD Storage
    50GB Bandwidth
    3 Email Addresses
    3 FTP Users

Would also recommend them, Qudranet (their datacenter) has direct China routes, just can't say how well it is. Should be enough to use, I think.

Consider hosting at Hong Kong with someone with direct china routes if you want excellent performance, it'll be expensive compared to the stuff on the US west coast. Try @randvegeta's Host Hong Kong promo, you can get a VPS at $7 if you look at the promos here.

I had a Dedi with QN before, few VPS with zenlayer network, Multacom and so, and others like Psychz/ColoC.

QN's network is not good enough ,though.but thinking of the price, it is the best choice at this moment.