Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UK VPS for BBC, Channel 4 etc
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UK VPS for BBC, Channel 4 etc

Hello,
there exists a UK based VPS that allows me install a OpenVPN server to use the IP for watching TV streaming from their respecting websites? For testing I found free servers that work on BBC website but not for Channel 4, I don't get if the latter just checks that the IP is residential or do some other kind of checks, like reverse DNS?
Just asking if it's possible (aka someone does it already) otherwise I won't bother trying. Of course I'm OK with low-low end specs with a reasonably monthly BW. Also NAT is perfect for lowering the price, since the port is not important.

If not possible, will those paid providers of VPN work?

Thanks!

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=81

€3.50 p/year

Lots of people use it for the same thing afaik.

• For Channel 4 as well? What is the ISP it shows?

sandro said: For Channel 4 as well? What is the ISP it shows?

I live in the UK so I don't need to use my own LES services for channel 4 :)

I am sure someone on the lowendspirit forum will let you know or even let you test this.

• @sandro said:
    For Channel 4 as well? What is the ISP it shows?

ISP shows up as Clouvider. Despite being in the UK, I've used my LES UK server whilst on holiday abroad without issues on BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, and I just tried Channel 4's player a few minutes ago over the VPN with no issues - though you have to sign up & enter an address (but I imagine it's easy to make that up). So, I'm fairly confident it will work.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @matthewkilpatrick said:

@sandro said:

ISP shows up as Clouvider. Despite being in the UK, I've used my LES UK server whilst on holiday abroad without issues on BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, and I just tried Channel 4's player a few minutes ago over the VPN with no issues - though you have to sign up & enter an address (but I imagine it's easy to make that up). So, I'm fairly confident it will work.

Thanks for confirming. :)

• Just corious is everything free on those websites or just live TV?

• @sandro said:
    Just corious is everything free on those websites or just live TV?

You don't have to pay for live / catchup TV on the sites, although it is free on the basis you're meant to have the correct licenses to legally view the channels - currently though, any checks that those sites do aren't that hard to bypass if you don't.

The non-BBC sites have adverts on all programs in order to fund the site, and some (can't remember which) allow you to pay a subscription fee for ad-free viewing. BBC doesn't do this, although they have the BBC store where you can buy access to some TV shows which was aired over 30 days ago (& therefore aren't available on iPlayer).

I'm fairly confident it will work.

Your post suggests you've [just] successfully tried Channel 4's player, and yet you signed off saying 'fairly confident'. Does that mean you've not actually viewed media but just gone to the website?

Thanked by 1Ollievr

cochon said: Does that mean you've not actually viewed media but just gone to the website?

I think he means the none login gated content works fine.

Thanked by 1cochon
  • edited September 2017

@cochon said:

@matthewkilpatrick said:
    I'm fairly confident it will work.

Your post suggests you've [just] successfully tried Channel 4's player, and yet you signed off saying 'fairly confident'. Does that mean you've not actually viewed media but just gone to the website?

I viewed media through the VPN successfully when logged in, however I am in the UK, and therefore can't say I'm 100% sure it will work for someone signing up from another country. So, based on what I had to do to sign up, I think it will most likely work for a non-UK citizen, although I am unable to prove that is the case - hence being fairly confident.

Thanked by 1cochon
  • @AnthonySmith said:

cochon said: Does that mean you've not actually viewed media but just gone to the website?

I think he means the none login gated content works fine.

don't you need to login for everything?
    a friend is interested in watching Grand Designs episodes on channel 4 wevdire.

• sandro said: don't you need to login for everything? a friend is interested in watching Grand Designs episodes on channel 4 wevdire.

All4 requires a login now, from memory. You can only browse without a login.

sandro said: don't you need to login for everything? a friend is interested in watching Grand Designs episodes on channel 4 wevdire.

Again, I don't know, aside from being in the UK I don't really watch TV at all, let alone catch up stuff :)

• sandrosandro Member
    edited September 2017

So I actually need a confirmation one outside the UK watches content (live or on demand) now with your VPS's IP on channel 4 website :)

sandro said: So I actually need a confirmation one outside the UK watches content (live or on demand) now with your VPS's IP on channel 4 website :)

That's why I suggested you ask on the lowendspirit forum.

Thanked by 1sandro
  • @AnthonySmith said:

sandro said: So I actually need a confirmation one outside the UK watches content (live or on demand) now with your VPS's IP on channel 4 website :)

That's why I suggested you ask on the lowendspirit forum.

Sorry, missed that.

• Whats the idiology behind blocking people from other countries?

• WHT said: Whats the idiology behind blocking people from other countries?

Licensing (the same as literally every other streaming service) and a lack of financial contribution (in the case of the BBC).

• RamiRami Member
    edited September 2017

@sandro I'm not using BBC but you are welcome to try my OpenVPN server PM if you want to try
    Edit: I just tried channel 4 with my Hostus VPS and it is working fine,I had to register but it is pretty easy

Thanked by 1sandro
  • @Rami said:
    @sandro I'm not using BBC but you are welcome to try my OpenVPN server PM if you want to try
    Edit: I just tried channel 4 with my Hostus VPS and it is working fine,I had to register but it is pretty easy

What is the package you're using?

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@matthewkilpatrick said:

@sandro said:

Out of curiosity what software are you running on the VPS to operate the VPN?

• RamiRami Member
    edited September 2017

@sandro said:

@Rami said:

What is the package you're using?

I got a VPS from this offer
    https://lowendbox.com/blog/hostus-new-ams-location-exclusive-kvm-promotion/

But I think as long as this one work then any other UK VPS will work

• edited September 2017

@RobertClarke said:

@matthewkilpatrick said:

@sandro said:

OpenVPN (using Nyr's installation script - https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install).

@RobertClarke said:

@matthewkilpatrick said:

@sandro said:

OpenVPN (using Nyr's installation script - https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install).

Can you help? I bought the IH 128MB UK VPS and used this script, however even though the script should do everything I just can't get internet access for the client, aka it won't forward ipv4 traffic to the internet. I don't get why...

• @sandro said:

@matthewkilpatrick said:

@RobertClarke said:

@matthewkilpatrick said:

@sandro said:

Can you help? I bought the IH 128MB UK VPS and used this script, however even though the script should do everything I just can't get internet access for the client, aka it won't forward ipv4 traffic to the internet. I don't get why...

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

and check your firewall configuration

• @mikewazar said:

@sandro said:

@matthewkilpatrick said:

@RobertClarke said:

@matthewkilpatrick said:

@sandro said:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

and check your firewall configuration

The script already does that along with the iptables rules. Doesn't make sense why it won't work.

• @sandro said:
    The script already does that along with the iptables rules. Doesn't make sense why it won't work.

Are you able to ping an IP address when connected to the VPN?

• Make sure when the script ask you for the ips, 1st one need to be the private ipv4 eg. 192.168.0.55 and the second one your public ipv4. Sometimes script cant find the ips so write them yourself.

Also try with https://github.com/Angristan/OpenVPN-install its based on Nyr's script.

Good luck

• sandrosandro Member
    edited September 2017

@emperor said:
    Make sure when the script ask you for the ips, 1st one need to be the private ipv4 eg. 192.168.0.55 and the second one your public ipv4. Sometimes script cant find the ips so write them yourself.

Also try with https://github.com/Angristan/OpenVPN-install its based on Nyr's script.

Good luck

That was it!!! I was putting the public ipv4 for the first choice, what does it change? I bet rules are different...

edit: channel 4 works!

• Has BBC iPlayer started using user accounts yet? I remember a message a couple of months back saying that iPlayer would soon require users to sign in.