Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Provision time for a HostUS VPS server after you've paid?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Provision time for a HostUS VPS server after you've paid?

nyceyesnyceyes Member
edited September 2017 in Providers

Hi Friends:

After running Solaris and then versions of Fedora on my home servers (over the years), I finally decided to use a VPS. I started with an unmanaged a2hosting VPS this past Sunday, but quickly found a big mistake with their execution/rollout: They allow Fedora-26 to run on top of -- as I would find out after 2-days -- a OpenVZ 2.6 kernel, which caused several things to break on Fedora; chief among them systemd. I filed an extensive ticket and they are likely to remove that template (they admitted that this was a problem). I deleted my account there. Two days of configuration work down the drain. (._.)

So I moved to a HostUS unmanaged OpenVZ VPS today and was wondering,...

Does anyone know how log it takes for a HostUS VPS machine to spin up once you pay the bill? I selected Washington, DC. It's been several hours in the "pending" state now. I assumed it would be relatively automated-instant, but maybe this delay is entirely normal and is why I'm asking.

Thank you! :)

Comments

• If you had problems with the OpenVZ kernel why are you buying another OpenVZ service? The kernel branch will still be 2.6.32.

Thanked by 2nyceyes vimalware
  • That's a great question. I lost a little bit of confidence in a2hosting after that and, as it turns out, HostUS is a better deal price-to-resource wise (like way better). I'll use CentOS-7 there and use old-school startup methods (not systemd. I mean I'll try it (some services do work), but I'm prepared to go old-school startup rc/supervisord if necessary).

• You should use KVM VPS, not OVZ again...

Thanked by 1nyceyes
  • The KVM option was more expensive. There are pros / cons to each approach and, honestly, why I've been running LXC/Linux containers at home (even Solaris Zones years back) and delayed shifting to a VPS -- so I didn't have to deal with deciding. =:)

My preference is LXC/Linux containers with unprivileged root (how I do it at home), but no one offers that yet.

But besides better security and and better isolation, why do you prefer KVM? Just to respect others experience and opinions here. Thanks.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited September 2017

Plenty of people offering LXC. Take for example Siteground's "Cloud" VPS line. Last time I checked they jumped to LXC.

They don't offer root, but that have been their practice forever.

@nyceyes said:
    The KVM option was more expensive. There are pros / cons to each approach and, honestly, why I've been running LXC/Linux containers at home (even Solaris Zones years back) and delayed shifting to a VPS -- so I didn't have to deal with deciding. =:)

My preference is LXC/Linux containers with unprivileged root (how I do it at home), but no one offers that yet.

But besides better security and and better isolation, why do you prefer KVM? Just to respect others experience and opinions here. Thanks.

Thanked by 1nyceyes
  • nyceyesnyceyes Member
    edited September 2017

@Hxxx said:
    Plenty of people offering LXC. Take for example Siteground's "Cloud" VPS line. Last time I checked they jumped to LXC.

They don't offer root, but that have been their practice forever.

@nyceyes said:
    The KVM option was more expensive. There are pros / cons to each approach and, honestly, why I've been running LXC/Linux containers at home (even Solaris Zones years back) and delayed shifting to a VPS -- so I didn't have to deal with deciding. =:)

@Hxxx Funny, I use SiteGround for my WordPress site, and just yesterday I look at their VPS offering, but I didn't see LXC. Do you have a URL? Did I miss something? I may be an experienced Unix an developer, but a neophyte for on VPS, sadly. But I have you guys, which is helpful and very much appreciated. :)

P.S. Actually I did see their cloud VPS, but it was much Much MUCH more expensive than what I got from HostUS.

• nyceyesnyceyes Member
    edited September 2017

-

• nyceyes said: Does anyone know how log it takes for a HostUS VPS machine to spin up once you pay the bill? I selected Washington, DC. It's been several hours in the "pending" state now. I assumed it would be relatively automated-instant, but maybe this delay is entirely normal and is why I'm asking.

Thank you! :)

It's normal for delays. I picked up 5x 2GB OpenVZ VPS $25/yr specials from HostUS ages back https://community.centminmod.com/threads/hostus-us-holiday-deals-2gb-openvz-vps-25-yr.9874/. Each order had some time in pending.

Thanked by 1nyceyes
  • @eva2000 Yes, about 20 minutes ago I got the welcome email and the ticket reply (sorry for the update delay here). So not too bad I must say. Their control panel is pretty darn excellent, by the way. We'll talk some more as I share feedback that the community could benefit from. Thank you guys! :)

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • It was instant on kvm for me. I had several issues like image, quota etc at set up but they fixed it for me. I however expected more uptime for price

• @jetchirag said:
    It was instant on kvm for me. I had several issues like image, quota etc at set up but they fixed it for me. I however expected more uptime for price

Support wrote me and said that for OpenVZ they do it manually to place it properly, etc. To protect both sides. Reasonable and glad to hear it. I have to say, this vps is ultra fast, and I'm used to fast (I have an $8000 high-end server at home). There is nothing slow about my vps instance.

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • You're quite an unlucky guy. You should have chose a better host.
    HostUS is one of the worst ones, as they have no technical knowledge.

• @hostingwizard_net said:
    You're quite an unlucky guy. You should have chose a better host.

Quite the opposite experience here. A lot to say without any proof, care to elaborate?

Thanked by 1nyceyes
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@nyceyes said:
    @eva2000 Yes, about 20 minutes ago I got the welcome email and the ticket reply (sorry for the update delay here). So not too bad I must say. Their control panel is pretty darn excellent, by the way. We'll talk some more as I share feedback that the community could benefit from. Thank you guys! :)

Thanks for hosting with us, we do manually review all orders and load balance nodes, the wait time is worth it honestly.

@hostingwizard_net said:

Care to explain? What's gave you that impression do you even have a service with us or ticket i could check? as @Tom said we are voted one of the top hosts here and next month we turn 5 years old, i've ran the company since day 1.

Alexander

Thanked by 2nyceyes bugrakoc
  • nyceyesnyceyes Member
    edited September 2017

@AlexanderM said:

@nyceyes said:
    @eva2000 Yes, about 20 minutes ago I got the welcome email and the ticket reply (sorry for the update delay here). So not too bad I must say. Their control panel is pretty darn excellent, by the way. We'll talk some more as I share feedback that the community could benefit from. Thank you guys! :)

Thanks for hosting with us, we do manually review all orders and load balance nodes, the wait time is worth it honestly.

@hostingwizard_net said:

Care to explain? What's gave you that impression do you even have a service with us or ticket i could check? as @Tom said we are voted one of the top hosts here and next month we turn 5 years old, i've ran the company since day 1.

Alexander

I have to AGREE with @Tom and @AlexanderM ; and DISAGREE with @hostingwizard_net.
    My experience with HostUS has been perfect so far. The VPS is fast and there are no issues whatsoever so far.

• RockIslanderRockIslander Member
    edited September 2017

I have been with Hostus for years and they are an excellent host. They have been very responsive with helpful and competent support and in my opinion, go above and beyond whats required at times. I'm not sure about @hostingwizard_net but I find it hard to believe that his experience could be that different without it being his own doing.

Thanked by 1nyceyes
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@nyceyes said:

I have to AGREE with @Tom and @AlexanderM ; and DISAGREE with @hostingwizard_net.
    My experience with HostUS has been perfect so far. The VPS is fast and there are no issues whatsoever so far.

Thank you for your feedback, glad you are happy with our service!

@RockIslander said:
    I have been with Hostus for years and they are an excellent host. They have been very responsive with helpful and competent support and in my opinion, go above and beyond whats required at times. I'm not sure about @hostingwizard_net but I find it hard to believe that his experience could be that different without it being his own doing.

Thank you for your feedback as well, i am glad our support has exceeded your expectations!

Alexander

Thanked by 1nyceyes
  • I've had nothing but excellent service with hostus! Please do not listen to that comment.

• @AlexanderM said:

Thank you for your feedback as well, i am glad our support has exceeded your expectations!

I hope your driving exceeds expectation this Sunday as well.

• I am a HostUS customer since 2014 (I guess) and they are top notch. Keep up the good work @AlexanderM

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • I'm glad to hear all the positive feedback. I guess my misfortune with a2Hosting was a blessing in disguise because I'm happy with HostUS, too. :)

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • I am a current customer of HostUS with some OpenVZ vpses. It is a great value for the money. My only complaint would be the system reboots every few months (with no warning.) I assume it is kernel updates because they reboot with updated vz kernels.

Too bad they dont do reboot-less kernel upgrades.

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • nyvpsusernyvpsuser Member
    edited September 2017

@JoeMerit said:
    I am a current customer of HostUS with some OpenVZ vpses. It is a great value for the money. My only complaint would be the system reboots every few months (with no warning.) I assume it is kernel updates because they reboot with updated vz kernels.

My HostUS OpenVZ 32 bit Centos 6.9 VPS in Atlanta has been up 170 days currently (this streak will apparently end this Sunday when the VPS goes on a 200+ mile excursion).

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • @nyvpsuser said:

@JoeMerit said:
    I am a current customer of HostUS with some OpenVZ vpses. It is a great value for the money. My only complaint would be the system reboots every few months (with no warning.) I assume it is kernel updates because they reboot with updated vz kernels.

My HostUS OpenVZ 32 bit Centos 6.9 VPS in Atlanta has been up 170 days currently (this streak will apparently end this Sunday when the VPS goes on a 200+ mile excursion).

Is there a migration happening on Sunday? No biggie, just good to know. :)

• Is there a migration happening on Sunday? No biggie, just good to know.

• @nyceyes said:
    Is there a migration happening on Sunday? No biggie, just good to know.

Yes, from Atlanta, see: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/124337/hostus-migration-for-openvz-and-kvm-services-from-atl

Thanked by 1nyceyes
  • Ah, okay. Thank you for the link. Appreciated. I commented at the bottom of that thread (wishing them luck) because I've been through datacenter migrations several times.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@hostingwizard_net said:

Strongly DISAGREE.

• @JoeMerit said:

I've same issue with fact that my kvm needs manual restart from panel to get it working. Sometimes I get hour of downtime if I'm not present.

• @JoeMerit said:

I was told by HostUS that their OpenVZ host nodes used Kernelcare though ?