Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Really? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Really?

2»

Comments

• VPSSimon said "LEB make sure most hosts jump through all the hoops before being posted"

If somebody offered my business a chance for free promotion on a high traffic website I would be grateful and I wouldn't be complaining if there was a delay in posting, or have the attitude of entitlement that my company deserves to be featured just because I submitted an offer.

.> @MrObvious said:

It's disappointing to see that people are posting about their offer submissions going ignored for 30+ days, or told that "your offer wasnt good enough" or "your offer didn't stand out enough" and then see this trash get posted.

It's even more disappointing that some people regard the LEB blog primarily as an advertising medium and complain if their free advertisement isn't posted fast enough (or is rejected), or if provider A's offer is posted before theirs.

@Spirit said "Or maybe "you're featured at LEB already, we know you, you don't have to offer anything new to us every few months, lets use this space like in old times, to introduce some new hosts".

@Spirit said: It was nice till it lasted in some way. Like in old LEB times. Now we're back to stamping promo codes of same and same hosts all over again.

I agree

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2013

Like in old LEB times.

Oh cut the b/s already. "The old LEB times" does not mean posting shoddy offers from sketchy providers just for the sake of "variety". Nor does it mean congratulating each other at how the new offer provides less resources than what even more established competitors can do easily, without even beginning to oversell anything. In fact in the "old LEB times" that offer would have been shot down long before the posting stage, due to failing one of the "investigation" steps that LEA would do.

So while I fully understand some around here are pining for nostalgia and how great everything was "back then", believe me, this Zurfa post is NOT suitable at all to act as your poster child. Some things are just downright crappy, not romantic-Low-End or whatever.

Thanked by 2upfreak Maounique
  • It's even more disappointing that some people regard the LEB blog primarily as an advertising medium and complain if their free advertisement isn't posted fast enough (or is rejected), or if provider A's offer is posted before theirs.

Can't thank you enough.

• PatsPats Member

+1
    No need to compare..
    if by chance smth slips thru.. just take action & pull down..

edited August 2013

"Look mom, I have more RAM and disk space!" offers, from Dallas, Texas, or Buffalo, New York, this was an offer from Santa Clara, CA

Which is still on the west coast of the US, where there's an imperial f*ckton of offers already...

And then there is DigitalOcean. [yes, my new favourite yardstick of offers!]

If you are a provider making an offer near one of the DO's locations, yet for the same price provide no IPv4, ten times less bandwidth, twice less disk space and even that on plain HDD, not SSD, then as far as I'm concerned you really REALLY should ask yourself, what the hell are you doing, what are you hoping for? What's the differential feature? Surely it's not the lack of IPv4 (which DO provides), surely not the Alpha-stage crappy unfinished empty website, surely not b/s'ing people about "registered company", which people can't actually look-up on the corresponding registry website. What then? Oh but it's the location, it's in Santa Clara and not in SF, which is a whole 3 msec away or whatever. Yep, certainly a huge deal, people are lining up to buy already.

• spekkspekk Member
    edited August 2013

I think you have a little obsession with DO, they are not that good and they screwed up some times now. According to you the offer is crap because they are asking for too much money, the rule @lowendbox as I understand is that it needs to be under $7.01, they do not say 'you need 512MB to go with that, or more than 50GB HDD space', everybody offers what they want, at what price they want, as long as it's < $7.01, honestly I prefer a more expensive hoster because I know it will not be full of idiots and they will probably not oversell.

Btw, since when does DO offer XEN?

The only thing wrong with the offer it was that they had some problems with their website, nobody actually posted any problem with the server itself, the bandwidth, etc.

Nostalgia comes because there are new posts daily offering the same thing all over again: Dallas, TX, Quadranet, Collocrossing, Buffalo NY, Choopa, what is the point of having more than one VPS if they are located in the same building?

Not to mention the $7 trend, everybody was offering everything at $7, then they closed shop 2-3 months later.

Since LEA has gone, lowendtalk is not doing so good anymore, I know they are 'doing their best', but LEA had something special, that is why this website is #1, there are hundreds of these review websites, but this one managed to stay afloat, and on top for many years. I see that something special in Liam also, but I do not think he's got 100% control over his actions on this website, and he is forced some times into decisions he does not wish to take.

Anyway, as the posters above said, this is not an advertising website, it was designed as a website to feature new stuff, and for the users to write reviews about them.

> @rm said:

If you are a provider making an offer near one of DO's locations, yet for the same price provide no IPv4, ten times less bandwidth, twice less disk space and even that on plain HDD, not SSD, then as far as I'm concerned you really REALLY should ask yourself, what the hell are you doing, what are you hoping for? What's the differential feature? Surely it's not the lack of IPv4 (which DO provides), surely not the Alpha-stage crappy unfinished empty website, surely not b/s'ing people about "registered company", which people can't actually look-up on the corresponding registry website. What then? Oh but it's the location, it's in Santa Clara and not in SF, which is 3 msec away or whatever. Yep, certainly a huge deal, people are lining up to buy already.

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2013

@rm_ said:
    If you are a provider making an offer near one of DO's locations, yet for the same price provide no IPv4, ten times less bandwidth, twice less disk space and even that on plain HDD, not SSD, then as far as I'm concerned you really REALLY should ask yourself, what the hell are you doing, what are you hoping for?

That's the biggest bullshit I read lately. But it walks well in hand with "zomg, only 100GB bw" statements I read here and there at LEB lately. You don't like offer which meet LEB pricing threshold because it don't meet your PERSONAL bandwidth needs? Or because xx host offer more bw for less money? Big deal! Move along.

@DomainBop said:
    It's even more disappointing that some people regard the LEB blog primarily as an advertising medium and complain if their free advertisement isn't posted fast enough (or is rejected), or if provider A's offer is posted before theirs.

This. Thank you for expressing it more clear than I would.

edited August 2013

as I understand is that it needs to be under $7.01

It also needs to be competitive. In this day and age when you can reasonably expect a 512MB KVM/Xen for ~$5, don't be surprised when people aren't particularly excited if you come out with an offer of 64MB burst OpenVZ for $6.99. "But it's still under $7.01 so where is the problem?" Sure, it's within the rules, it might even get posted. But then don't be surprised if no one is really buying, and all you get is ridicule in comments. The problem is that you don't consider the state of the market before you enter it, and people will rightfully call you out that you're either very silly or downright malicious and cunning, trying to rip off those who don't know any better, i.e. those who don't know the market themselves.

Btw, since when does DO offer XEN?

And also Xen sucks, at least Xen PV which is I'm pretty sure what they had. In many aspects it is downright worse than KVM. Certainly it's not that "redeeming feature", by any stretch of the imagination.

• @rm_ everything sucks, except DigitalOcean

• It also needs to be competitive.

No it doesnt. That's your illusion. Competative to what? To other 10 hosts posted at same page? That's not whole hosting industry. If host don't have need to get 200 clients from LEB but only 10 or they don't even concentrate their sales around this community I am fine with that. It's not my problem neither your altruism to demand from them to meet your personal needs.

• And then there is DigitalOcean. [yes, my new favourite yardstick of offers!]

If it's a KVM-based offer from the SF bay area then I think we should use Nephoscale's 1-year-free offer as the yardstick (better uptime than DO, parent company has been around 19 years, and I love their CloudScript). :P

disclaimer: the above statement from D.Bop may contain some trolling

Using one provider as a yardstick for offers doesn't work because every end user has different needs. Nephoscale's free offer was perfect for me because I wanted something reliable (both in terms of uptime and company stability) to use as a west coast DNS server but the very limited bandwidth (50GB) makes the offer unsuitable for the needs of many (or most) LEB users. The same thing goes for using DO's offers as a yardstick to judge other offers.