Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ovh abuse issue when using it as upstream provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ovh abuse issue when using it as upstream provider

i see video! LOL

there are many providers on let who use ovh as upstream provider. what happens to them when this shit happens?

Comments

• Serverloaft.

• You usually have to do pretty badly if they end up asking you to reinstall your box :-) That means you got abuse complaints multiple times within a rather short timeframe, and either ignored them or didn't fix them correctly.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • @6ixth said:
    Serverloaft.

what is that?

• @Zerpy said:
    You usually have to do pretty badly if they end up asking you to reinstall your box :-) That means you got abuse complaints multiple times within a rather short timeframe, and either ignored them or didn't fix them correctly.

some idiot client can host multiple stupid websites and then it can get multiple reports in short timeframe easily I guess.

• ofcourse one can act in 24 hours but I afraid if they disable immediately like in video.

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2017

@gonduriya said:

@Zerpy said:
    You usually have to do pretty badly if they end up asking you to reinstall your box :-) That means you got abuse complaints multiple times within a rather short timeframe, and either ignored them or didn't fix them correctly.

some idiot client can host multiple stupid websites and then it can get multiple reports in short timeframe easily I guess.

We have had a bad story with ovh with irc services, so do not recommend for real business this company. I know is cheap, but we have had a abuse complain that someone is sending SPAM throught irc chat server (if spam exist throught irc server) and as per our test, we have sent to ovh with fake logs that someone in our servers is running ircd chat server and ovh abuse department request from us to stop this otherwise they will suspend all our servers. They didn't even checked if this is real or if there exist irc chat servers or not. What would happened if someone again sent a fake abuse to them, they would really suspend our servers.

• @AlbaHost said:

@gonduriya said:

@Zerpy said:

We have had a bad story with ovh with irc services, so do not recommend for real business this company. I know is cheap, but we have had a abuse complain that someone is sending SPAM throught irc chat server (if spam exist throught irc server) and as per our test, we have sent to ovh with fake logs that someone in our servers is running ircd chat server and ovh abuse department request from us to stop this otherwise they will suspend all our servers. They didn't even checked if this is real or if there exist irc chat servers or not. What would happened if someone again sent a fake abuse to them, they would really suspend our servers.

so lesson here is that never use them for any public service.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited September 2017

I've been providing public services via OVH for years. So have others here. If you handle the abuse request there is no issue. Pretty simple really. If you don't respond what do you expect them to do? LOL

Edit, after watching the video it's clear the user has no idea what is going on. There customers website was not the issue. There server was hacked. OVH took it offline to prevent it from being abused further. Fairly certain any legit service provider would react the same.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • I think its fair host a pishing site get butt rapped

• @MCHPhil said:
    I've been providing public services via OVH for years. So have others here. If you handle the abuse request there is no issue. Pretty simple really. If you don't respond what do you expect them to do? LOL

Edit, after watching the video it's clear the user has no idea what is going on. There customers website was not the issue. There server was hacked. OVH took it offline to prevent it from being abused further. Fairly certain any legit service provider would react the same.

I think you dont get it, it was client's website which was hacked. and hackers put phishing on it. ovh shutdown server! hahahah

• @Linkhost said:
    I think its fair host a pishing site get butt rapped

Yeah, I agree. but there was so many other sites hosted on same server too. if ovh have issue with one site, then they should contact server owner before terminating whole damn server!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@gonduriya said:

@MCHPhil said:

I think you dont get it, it was client's website which was hacked. and hackers put phishing on it. ovh shutdown server! hahahah

Depending on the severity, this can be appropriate. If you have a phishing site for a bank or PayPal, you often get much more significant notice than just a third party report. Once you can be reasonably accused of being aware, you can be held legally responsible.

Thanked by 1gonduriya
    edited September 2017

@AlbaHost said:

@gonduriya said:

@Zerpy said:

You sent a complaint with fake logs? Either there's more story there or it makes me more concerned about you than OVH.

• @jarland said:

@gonduriya said:

@MCHPhil said:

Depending on the severity, this can be appropriate. If you have a phishing site for a bank or PayPal, you often get much more significant notice than just a third party report. Once you can be reasonably accused of being aware, you can be held legally responsible.

then what providers do to protect against such ?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2017

Just a note, OVH will contact you via an automated (maybe, small additions, canned) e-mail if there is a bank/financial phishing site hosted on your server, and I believe they block access to the domain -- "our anti-phishing system might have been activated, protecting victims of this type of fraud." I've had it happen before a few times and they give you a list of the full URL of the pages that are offending. They have never blocked the IP unless it's ignored for 24+ hours. https://i.gyazo.com/237fc55d893e486fd391e69385e3eafc.png

If you're a host using another company's network you should always handle abuse quickly, it's courtesy, I almost always handle anything abuse related within 30 minutes unless it's DMCA and not blatant obvious stolen content.

The guy in the video reminds me of other people who sell servers on OVH's network and try to claim it as "we ignore DMCA" and similar things.

• @MikeA said:
    Just a note, OVH will contact you via an automated (maybe, small additions, canned) e-mail if there is a bank/financial phishing site hosted on your server, and I believe they block access to the domain -- "our anti-phishing system might have been activated, protecting victims of this type of fraud." I've had it happen before a few times and they give you a list of the full URL of the pages that are offending. They have never blocked the IP unless it's ignored for 24+ hours. https://i.gyazo.com/237fc55d893e486fd391e69385e3eafc.png

If you're a host using another company's network you should always handle abuse quickly, it's courtesy, I almost always handle anything abuse related within 30 minutes unless it's DMCA and not blatant obvious stolen content.

The guy in the video reminds me of other people who sell servers on OVH's network and try to claim it as "we ignore DMCA" and similar things.

oh, then guy in the video is lying i guess?

@gonduriya said:

@jarland said:

@gonduriya said:

@MCHPhil said:

then what providers do to protect against such ?

I don't know, better to resolve complaints of that type instead of try to outrun them.

Thanked by 1gonduriya
  • jarland said: I don't know, better to resolve complaints of that type instead of try to outrun them.

ofcose any provider willl try to resolve it asap. but issue is when their upstream provider block server before a resonable time frame ie: 1day.

@gonduriya said:

jarland said: I don't know, better to resolve complaints of that type instead of try to outrun them.

ofcose any provider willl try to resolve it asap. but issue is when their upstream provider block server before a resonable time frame ie: 1day.

Probably several factors you don't know. Maybe this was a trend with them and the provider was getting fed up by their refusal to attempt to prevent abuse.

• jarland said: Probably several factors you don't know. Maybe this was a trend with them and the provider was getting fed up by their refusal to attempt to prevent abuse.

I see ur poit. ofcose ovh is in this to make $$$ they will not suspend without reson.

• @gonduriya said:
    I see ur poit. ofcose ovh is in this to make $$$ they will not suspend without reson.

It's a cypher. Wrapped in an enigma. Smothered in retard sauce.

• @WSS said:

@gonduriya said:

It's a cypher. Wrapped in an enigma. Smothered in retard sauce.

do not post meaning less comments. it makes you sound like an idiot.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@gonduriya said:

@MikeA said:

oh, then guy in the video is lying i guess?

No, he isn't lying, he's just dumb for ignoring the abuse. He is responsible for the content on his server and dealing with phishing, etc. in a timely manner. Maybe he should've just handled abuse quicker. This doesn't stick only for OVH, this is with any hosting provider.

• @gonduriya said:
    do not post meaning less comments. it makes you sound like an idiot.

Says the one who can't consult a dictionary? Begone, woodpecker of shame! Your business will fail several times before you die in a gutter!

• OVH is still the best Self-Managed Host.

@Secured said:
    OVH is still the best Self-Managed Host.

Aye. I host a ton of production things at OVH. Hell, at this point, kimsufi even has some of the best uptime around. Luck of the draw anytime you're running a single disk, obviously, but cut the details and hold the uptime to the light and it's quite impressive.

edited September 2017

@jarland said:

@AlbaHost said:

@gonduriya said:

@Zerpy said:

You sent a complaint with fake logs? Either there's more story there or it makes me more concerned about you than OVH.

First complain was from someone else (concurrent irc chat server not our customer) complaining that one of our customer which has irc chat server with us are sending spam and advertising in their public irc channel, and ovh requested us to take action after that we did complain abuse with fake logs too at abuse.ovh.net because was not sure if spam is available throught irc and ovh requested to stop any irc chat server otherwise they will suspend all our other servers. Here in LET was an thread about this and in ovh forum too with all logs and pics.

• @AlbaHost said:

@jarland said:

@AlbaHost said:

@gonduriya said:

@Zerpy said:

First complain was from someone else (concurrent irc chat server not our customer) complaining that one of our customer which has irc chat server with us are sending spam and advertising in their public irc channel, and ovh requested us to take action after that we did complain abuse with fake logs too at abuse.ovh.net because was not sure if spam is available throught irc and ovh requested to stop any irc chat server otherwise they will suspend all our other servers. Here in LET was an thread about this and in ovh forum too with all logs and pics.

And once too many abuse complaints they'll one day suspend all your machines and you'll be screwed

@Linkhost said:

@AlbaHost said:

@jarland said:

@AlbaHost said:

@gonduriya said:

@Zerpy said:

And once too many abuse complaints they'll one day suspend all your machines and you'll be screwed

Haven't any service with them, for personal use only.

• Doesent matter just saying can't use OVH for anything serious as a malicious third party could get you suspended by sending false complaints or too many complaints that ovh just shut you out