Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server status script - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server status script

Comments

• Wow, Look great ^^

• @Upstage, are you comfortable with patching your file? You can download the patch I uploaded, and apply it with patch < pingm.pl_perlv10bug01.patch while in the directory containing pingm.pl

• @joelgm, thank you for the patch.
    Unfortunately i'm coming accross another error now :)

Global symbol "$value" requires explicit package name at /root/perlscripts/pingm.pl line 78.
    BEGIN not safe after errors--compilation aborted at /root/perlscripts/pingm.pl line 375.

Adding a "my" in front of line 78 my $value = $iplist[$key]; seems to have fixed a few things :

Geekping Worker v1.0.1
    Checking current status using the configuration file: /var/www/../ping.conf
    Opening the file >>/var/www/pinginfo/testprint() on closed filehandle MYFILE at /root/perlscripts/pingm.pl line 123.
    Use of uninitialized value $current_status in concatenation (.) or string at /root/perlscripts/pingm.pl line 127.
    test..... Status changed!

• @Upstage said:

Which tar file did you download? 0.3.3 or 0.3.4.a? I had taken the lazy way out and fixed just those lines. I'll test the full script on a Debian 6. My dev was on a Debian 7 machine. I never tried checking whether it had issues pertaining to older perl versions.

• I downloaded those files :
    Geekping 0.3.4.a Patch (5 downloads)
    Geekping 0.3.4a (79 downloads)

• I did this to a subdirectory on my server and it took me a while to find where the heck ping.conf was even at. Anyway to move this file?

Also is there a tutorial on how to get the port scanning to work?

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited August 2013

@RivaCom said:
    I did this to a subdirectory on my server and it took me a while to find where the heck ping.conf was even at. Anyway to move this file?

By default ping.conf is stored at /var/ away from the web directory to prevent search engine indexing. It is referred to in the php script by "../ping.conf", and in the perl script directly. Maybe I'll add a conf file later to source customizable variables.

Btw... you can setup a symlink to the original file if you want.

Also is there a tutorial on how to get the port scanning to work?

Port scanning is only available in an unpublished version. I can share this with you if you're an advanced user and used to doing things by hand at the command line.

• So I edited the ping.conf, my changes show up, but It doesn't seem to be collecting any data. Any thoughts?

• @RivaCom said:
    So I edited the ping.conf, my changes show up, but It doesn't seem to be collecting any data. Any thoughts?

What does your cron looks like?

• Nothing is in my crontab, was something suppose to be added?

edited August 2013

@RivaCom said:
    Nothing is in my crontab, was something suppose to be added?

Indeed.

The basic cron job would be */3 * * * * /root/perlscripts/pingm.pl -C /var/ping.conf for a per 3 minute updation. It's also a good idea to run /root/perlscripts/pingm.pl -C /var/ping.conf by hand once to see that that the script works without issues.

• /root/perlscripts/pingm.pl -C /home/user/public_html/ping.conf
    Type of arg 1 to each must be hash (not array dereference) at /root/perlscripts/pingm.pl line 77, near "@iplist) "
    BEGIN not safe after errors--compilation aborted at /root/perlscripts/pingm.pl line 374.

• @RivaCom said:
    /root/perlscripts/pingm.pl -C /home/user/public_html/ping.conf
    Type of arg 1 to each must be hash (not array dereference) at /root/perlscripts/pingm.pl line 77, near "@iplist) "
    BEGIN not safe after errors--compilation aborted at /root/perlscripts/pingm.pl line 374.

I'll be updating the scripts for Debian 6 (perl <5.14) soon. Right now, I have a couple more things to finish up on the latest beta.

• Version 0.4.5 is up. Changelog (incomplete) posted on site. Should work on Debian 6 smoothly now. I tested on my container.

edited August 2013

Those who have have installed it-any feedback? I got one PM about an issue, but it was just something he'd left out from the installation procedure.

There's a file "INSTALL" in the archive which lists the steps to install it. I tested it myself on both Debian 6 and 7 and it worked smoothly. If you have doubts about anything just ask.

• I'll try to install this new version of yours tomorrow.
    I'd be interested to have the one with the "port scan" feature.

• @Upstage said:
    I'd be interested to have the one with the "port scan" feature.

The latest version does have this feature. I'll explain how to enable the daemon, when you install it.

Thanked by 1Upstage
  • UpstageUpstage Member
    edited August 2013

I've installed the new version.

First of all, congratulation on making such a detailed INSTALL file which makes things as easy as possible to setup the monitoring tool & understand what lies behind.

All is working fine now on Debian 6, without any warning message or error. Thank you for your job!

• Thanks @upstage>; @Upstage said:

I've installed the new version.

First of all, congratulation on making such a detailed INSTALL file which makes things as easy as possible to setup the monitoring tool & understand what lies behind.

All is working fine now on Debian 6, without any warning message or error. Thank you for your job!

Thank you for your feedback! There's a lot of power in this tool, and I have a lot to do in terms of documentation. I'm also introducing fixes/additions in a daily basis, and plan to introduce it into a public git soon.

I'm also a bit dissatisfied with the ping binary that comes with debian, and am rewriting the fping source to suit my needs. Once that's done, the ping tool should be faster by around 80% for unreachable servers.

Have you got around to setting up uptime/ram monitoring system yet?

• can anybody lead me to any tutorial to install on centos??? I got no luck on centos

• @psycholyzern said:
    can anybody lead me to any tutorial to install on centos??? I got no luck on centos

I'll see what I can do.

• @psycholyzern I just put together a set of instructions for installation on Centos. Tested on Centos 6. Check it out on my site.

• @joelgm > i won't have time to check the other options of your tool until next week but when i do, i'll keep you posted. thanks again for your work!

• spekkspekk Member
    edited August 2013

I would suggest making it less colourful, or well maybe add a 'theme' feature. It has many features, etc, and I think I will try it in the future.

• @spekk said:
    I would suggest making it less colourful, or well maybe add a 'theme' feature.

Noted.

• @joelgm how to enable port scanner?

Thanks.

• I am getting below error while trying to run the pingm.pl script. Running it on Ubuntu 6 with perl 5.1 setup. Please advise.

[root@cloud2 perlscripts]# /root/perlscripts/pingm.pl -C /var/www/ping.conf Invalid attribute name bright_blue at /root/perlscripts/pingm.pl line 60 [root@cloud2 perlscripts]# perl -v

• @plumberg said:
    I am getting below error while trying to run the pingm.pl script. Running it on Ubuntu 6 with perl 5.1 setup. Please advise.

[root@cloud2 perlscripts]# /root/perlscripts/pingm.pl -C /var/www/ping.conf Invalid attribute name bright_blue at /root/perlscripts/pingm.pl line 60 [root@cloud2 perlscripts]# perl -v

I ended up removing the "bright_" from the file and it ran with some exceptions (which I am trying to work). Thanks

• Sorry guys. I will not be able to continue with my projects due to personal reasons.

• Ouch, I am very sorry to hear this. I hope that everything will be fine with you.