Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows VPS for 5 $ or below possible ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows VPS for 5 $ or below possible ?

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

win01 FAPVPS 1GB

• @Infinity580 where do you see $5 for 1GB at Fapvps? I only see $6

Special offer on LEB

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@infinity580 can you provide a link to the post? Do they provide the windows license?

I dont have any url to this offer anymore.

• Maybe I am wrong, but it looks like a good idea to use your own Windows license to run not only 256Mb, but 1Gb Ram KVM for the $5 or $6.
    The difference in the price will pay the investment in the Windows Software.

My doubt is about the kind of Windows Software is allowed to use in a KVM (or Xen) VPS.
    Can I install WIN XP Pro or only 'server' ISOs?

Is OEM allowed?

• I have got one.128M Xen,$1.3/month.But it's really slow and it has only 10G disk.So if I use win,I can not do anything other.The disk is almost occupied by windows.

• jakejake Member

Or, you know, you can license Windows the not so legal way.

• @DragonDF, as far as I know SPLA is the only licensing model that is considered legitimate by Microsoft for providers offering VPS. License obtained through other channels, such as retail, OEM, and etc should not be used, by right.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • @eLohkCalb said:
    DragonDF, as far as I know SPLA is the only licensing model that is considered legitimate by Microsoft for providers offering VPS. License obtained through other channels, such as retail, OEM, and etc should not be used, by right.

Where can I find Win Xp one in a better cost?
    SPLA... this is not good to me. :(

• Well you could just use the trial version of win 2008 for 180days and after that you reformat it and your trial gets reset :)

• @DragonDF said:
    Where can I find Win Xp one in a better cost?

You can't run client Windows versions on servers (because licensing)

• DragonDFDragonDF Member
    edited August 2013

@Ruriko said:
    Well you could just use the trial version of win 2008 for 180days and after that you reformat it and your trial gets reset :)

Yes, nice idea. :)
    microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11093

@Bogdacutuu said:
    You can't run client Windows versions on servers (because licensing)

Hum...
    But if I want to use the server as my DESKTOP, what is the problem?
    Neither in this case?

Thank you!

• @DragonDF said:
    Hum... But if I want to use the server as my DESKTOP, what is the problem? Neither in this case?

You use RDP to connect to your server. If there's more than one user (the admin) you'll need to buy RDS CALs (like this for example).

• @Bogdacutuu
    Only 1 use will connect to the server: me.
    :)
    Thank you for your replies.

• I could see it is possible to use Win Server 2012 for 180 days, too.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/hh670538.aspx?ocid=&wt.mc_id=TEC_108_1_33

Doubt: what is the best version?
    Maybe 2012 needs more resources than 2008.

• @DragonDF said:
    Maybe 2012 needs more resources than 2008.

Windows 8 uses less resources than Vista/7 so I assume Server 2012 will use less resources than 2008.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • i prefer 2008r2 ( after i had a hardtime playing around 2012 interface on vnc )

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Windows 2003 use less resource then windows 2008 or 2012.

Some of providers provide windows 2003 at free of cost but I don't know they are using a legal license or illegal.

• From the SPLA Licensing Guidelines from Microsoft (linked here, update for WinSrv2012): http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/briefs/win2008-virtual.aspx

"If a server is running ESX/ESXi as the virtualization technology, then Windows Server is not deployed as a host operating system in the physical OSE. However, a license is required for every physical processor on the server and every instance running in a virtual OSE should be appropriately licensed (Standard edition will allow up to two virtual instances with each license and Datacenter edition will allow an unlimited number of virtual instances with each license)."

Which translates out to, you can run the same amount of virtualized machines on VMWare and even SolusVM as if you were using Hyper-V. If you want unlimited Windows Server 2012 VMs on a node, just license Windows Server 2012 Datacenter. This is my interpretation of this text but I have found other Microsoft comments supporting this in my research.

• @DewlanceVPS said:
    Windows 2003 use less resource then windows 2008 or 2012.

Some of providers provide windows 2003 at free of cost but I don't know they are using a legal license or illegal.

Yes, I could read about that.
    As you can see (link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134246.aspx ) I will need at least 32Gb HD to run Windows 2012 server.

RAM The following are the estimated RAM requirements for this product: Minimum: 512 MB

Disk space requirements The following are the estimated minimum disk space requirements for the system partition. Minimum: 32 GB

About Win 2003:

Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition: System requirements To ensure adequate performance, make sure that computers on which you install or upgrade to Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition meet the following requirements: For an x86-based computer:

One or more processors with a recommended minimum speed of 550 megahertz (MHz). The minimum supported speed is 133 MHz. A maximum of eight processors per computer is supported. Processors from the Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processors are recommended.

256 megabytes (MB) of RAM (recommended minimum). 128 MB is the minimum supported, and 32 gigabytes (GB) is the maximum supported.

For computers with more than 4 GB of RAM, be sure to confirm hardware compatibility by clicking the appropriate link in Support resources.

IN this case, If I want to learn Win 2012 I need a KVM VPS with at least 512Mb (1Gb prefered) + 50Gb Hd.

About:

@DewlanceVPS said:

The 'problem' is that you will get in the maximum 256Mb and will pay not less than $6 for a Windows option.
    If you could install a trial Windows in a 2Gb Ram for almost the same price, it looks like much better.

As I want to install for LEARNING purposes, I imagine I will install Win 2012 in a VmWare in my own laptop. It will be FREE!

• tuxtux Member

Windows Server 2012 comes with very ugly UI.

• @tux said:
    Windows Server 2012 comes with very ugly UI.

no it doesn't?

Thanked by 1wrox

@trux yeah Windows Server 2012 is ugly... and takes a lot of resources so dont use it. Better would be 2008 R2

• c0yc0y Member
    edited August 2013

@Bogdacutuu said:
    Windows 8 uses less resources than Vista/7 so I assume Server 2012 will use less resources than 2008.

2003 = XP
    2008 = Vista
    2008 R2 = 7
    2012 = 8

• Lowest I found is 4.50 euros.

https://www.webtropia.com/de/vserver/vserver-cloud-windows-s.html

Our CubeWorld server is running on a M and it really suprises me how good it works. I'm thinking about buying one to RDP from everywhere.

• @taronyu said:
    Lowest I found is 4.50 euros.

https://www.webtropia.com/de/vserver/vserver-cloud-windows-s.html

Our CubeWorld server is running on a M and it really suprises me how good it works. I'm thinking about buying one to RDP from everywhere.

Something near $6.

BUT..

Let's read in ENGLISH:
    https://www.webtropia.com/en/vservercloud/cloud-vserver-windows-s.html

Price in first 3 month: 4.49 Euro
    Price in the following month: 8.99 euro
    Setup fee: 0

1Gb RAM

I think it is better to get a KVM offer and install Windows.

• twaintwain Member

Back from the dead.. sorry.

@Francisco - is this currently a thing? buyvm.net KVM offers page says 2003 included (doesn't mention 2008 or 2012).

Also, how will the July W2k3 EOL affect current and new (eg attempt to order a new service/KVM VM with W2k3 after W2k3 EOL date) W2k3 VM's? Thanks.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2015

@twain said:
    Back from the dead.. sorry.

Francisco - is this currently a thing? buyvm.net KVM offers page says 2003 included (doesn't mention 2008 or 2012).

Also, how will the July W2k3 EOL affect current and new (eg attempt to order a new service/KVM VM with W2k3 after W2k3 EOL date) W2k3 VM's? Thanks.

Necromancer,

2008 R2 & 2012 are both available but you'll want at LEAST 512MB to run it OK.

2003's a tough one. We'll probably still allow it since people will be crying for it on their very small VM's, but we're probably going to have to insist on people having a firewall in place by default.

Francisco

• RunAbove Sandbox VPS. 2.5$/mo.