Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do providers have a right to terminate service WITHOUT notification? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do providers have a right to terminate service WITHOUT notification?

Comments

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2017

@priest said:
    Hiding behind a poll? Forget that.

Tell you some more? I choose not too discuss some things openly - or maybe there is nothing to tell.

Exact situation that caused suspension? There was no suspension.

The point is that this is not primarily because of me or about my issue. This is more about how the numerous number of hosts/provider choose to do things.

I have had varying experiences with providers, and am here learning more. It is better to look at the overall approach of providers rather than looking at specific instances.

@jvnadr said:

priest said: There are quite a number of situations that are totally 'non-threatening' and for which providers terminate service.

Why don't you tell us some? And why do you hide behind a "poll" and not giving us the exact situation that caused your account's suspension, if there is one?

The general answer is there are many situations where a provider is justified in taking immediate action.

If you want another answer you'll have to tell us specifically the situation you have in mind.

Thanked by 1willie
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Gamma17 said: What i would expect from a decent provider/service is suspension and and at least a chance to talk with support to either resolve issue or get data backup.

Straight up termination/data deletion is IMO too extreme, but some providers definitely do it. Personally i try to avoid such providers

So let's pretend you are the host and I have a server with you, I constantly and seriously abuse CPU, I get suspended for it and my response is:

I intend to DDOS you and do everything in my power to impact you and your company in every way possible, I also intend to make the rest of your customer's service degrade.

You don't terminate me? How odd.

We are people too at the end of the day, don't be a dick and you have no chance of this happening to you regardless of any terms, the term is present to protect everyone, not to single individuals out.

Thanked by 2angstrom MasonR
  • I think it would be better you speak for your own ship. What happens elsewhere you can not speak for. The bolded part is something that often occur.

@AnthonySmith said:

We are people too at the end of the day, don't be a dick and you have no chance of this happening to you regardless of any terms, the term is present to protect everyone, not to single individuals out.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited September 2017

priest said: I have had varying experiences with providers, and am here learning more. It is better to look at the overall approach of providers rather than looking at specific instances.

Then, my opinion is this:

A hosting provider do have right to terminate without warning an account for certain reasons, like:

• the server is used for illegal activities like mass spamming or hacking
    • the client commited a fraud (e.g. paying with stolen cc)
    • the client did a chargeback without trying to resolve the issue with the provider
    • repeated abusing of a server on a shared environment
    • threaten a staff member

A provider do not have the moral right to terminate account but he should first warn the client, for incidents like:

• Low volume spamming for short period, due to a hacked server
    • One or two DMCA notices (he should ask his client to resolve the issue)
    • High cpu/iop incidents (the client should have the oportunity to resolve the issue)
    • Hacked server (same as the previous)

TOS and AUP are generally describe what a hosting provider want to provide as service. If the provider does abuse the trust between him and his client hiding behind a TOS for grey areas, not willing to resolve the issues or give a chance for resolving, then, such a provider is a no no for me...

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2017

priest said: I think it would be better you speak for your own ship. What happens elsewhere you can not speak for. The bolded part is something that often occur.

@AnthonySmith said:

...If you are not doing anything that is not allowed, and you are giving them money for it, why would they terminate your service without warning. Does not make sense at all. Please explain.

You are literally asking us for advice and turning the people that answer seriously down.

• I've never been terminated by ANY provider, because I treat their ${abstract_service} as though it is mine. If I wouldn't do the same on my own equipment, why would I do it on theirs?

This isn't a difficult question. Obviously if you've done something against the ToS which harms the provider, you need to go. Most will give you a warning of sorts, unless what you've done is just so abhorrent that there is no possibility of reprieve.

Thanked by 3MasonR sin AuroraZ
  • I've been buying various kinds of hosting for 18 years now. I have not had a service terminated for any reason. What's the criteria where this occurs "often"?

• Am sorry if it looks as if I am turning people down. I am not, and this isn't about a case specific to me like I have mentioned earlier.

I don't want this discussion to be about a specific case, but about the concept of 'termination' and if there was no better approach to it. Then ToS came up - never mind the fact that providers post here on LET and don't have ToS or have lorem ipsum ToS.

Again I said I've seen there are different behaviors in providers. Some believe in informing customers, and some believe in hard termination.

And I do not do things that isn't allowed. Infact I do only Wordpress. Please bear with the little I could respond with :)

...If you are not doing anything that is not allowed, and you are giving them money for it, why would they terminate your service without warning. Does not make sense at all. Please explain.

You are literally asking us for advice and turning the people that answer seriously down.

• As others stated before it really depends on the ToS of the given provider.
    If you ask for my opinion I think it's completely justified if they detect malicious activity AND they clearly stated against it and made sure you have been informed beforehand.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: Do you feel it is ok to lock up a child murderer without notice or should we give him advance warning?

Well actually, yeah we should. Maybe even a trial :-)

raindog308 said: Well actually, yeah we should. Maybe even a trial :-)

Perhaps I should have put a bit more to that, but I think you get my drift.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • priest said: I don't want this discussion to be about a specific case,

I'm sorry but it sounds like you really do have a specific case in mind, and you're looking for generalities to apply to it. But as everyone says, it really does depend on the specifics, the host's tolerance level, etc.

Without specifics all we can say is, yes, hosts do that all the time, and customers do shit all the time that justifies it. It sounds like you might have been one. We'd have to know the details, see the ticket history, and probably hear from the host to reach an informed view. It's a dubious topic to come in here asking about from a standpoint of abstract philosophy, especially when you're new here and we get shitpost threads all the time.

So anyway...

The answer is yes.

/thread.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2017

@priest said:

>

And I do not do things that isn't allowed. Infact I do only Wordpress.

I found your problem. ;) I think 99% of shared hosting terminations I do are WordPress related but never immediate, I usually give then a month to try to secure their install (spoiler alert: you apparently can't secure WordPress and still use plugins and themes).

Also 100% of the spam reports against my shared hosting are WordPress related and 100% of those WP installs were hacked.

Thanked by 1NodePing
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2017

Isn't the general consensus that, you, as a customer have no right to my products.
    Also, I have the right to not serve you, I don't need a reason, so you can take your snowflake ass back to the wombat that raised you...

These are my personal views, deal with it.

• @KuJoe Like LEB's WordPress install a year ago? It was hilarious.

• @doghouch said:
    @KuJoe Like LEB's WordPress install a year ago? It was hilarious.

That wasn't even a year. That was like.. March.

• @WSS said:

@doghouch said:
    @KuJoe Like LEB's WordPress install a year ago? It was hilarious.

That wasn't even a year. That was like.. March.

Shit. Way to piss on my shitty memory.

• Isn't the general consensus that, you, as a customer have no right to my products. Also, I have the right to not serve you, I don't need a reason,

Well, we went through this on the SpeedyKVM thread a little while back. You can turn away prospective customers at your whim, but after they're onboarded and paid up and their services are running, they're no longer "prospective" and there are obligations at both ends. KuJoe probably figured it out: OP got kicked for running an unsecured Wordpress.

• priestpriest Member
    edited September 2017

@priest joined LET November 2016, @willie joined LET December 2016.

@willie said:

priest said: I don't want this discussion to be about a specific case,

I'm sorry but it sounds like you really do have a specific case in mind, and you're looking for generalities to apply to it. But as everyone says, it really does depend on the specifics, the host's tolerance level, etc.

Without specifics all we can say is, yes, hosts do that all the time, and customers do shit all the time that justifies it. It sounds like you might have been one. We'd have to know the details, see the ticket history, and probably hear from the host to reach an informed view. It's a dubious topic to come in here asking about from a standpoint of abstract philosophy, especially when you're new here and we get shitpost threads all the time.

• Well wrong 'figure'. Try again.

@willie said:

Isn't the general consensus that, you, as a customer have no right to my products. Also, I have the right to not serve you, I don't need a reason,

Well, we went through this on the SpeedyKVM thread a little while back. You can turn away prospective customers at your whim, but after they're onboarded and paid up and their services are running, they're no longer "prospective" and there are obligations at both ends. KuJoe probably figured it out: OP got kicked for running an unsecured Wordpress.

This could have been a good discussion if we look away from specifics and focus on the issue. Would have preferred more answers such as the following.

@AnthonySmith said:
    So anyway...

The answer is yes.

/thread.

• In a speech in South Africa in 1890 Mahatma Gandhi said this:

"A customer is the most important visitor on our premises. He is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him. He is not an interruption of our work. He is the purpose of it. He is not an outsider of our business. He is part of it. We are not doing him a favour by serving him. He is doing us a favour by giving us the opportunity to do so.”

Thanked by 2MikePT Ndha
  • oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2017

Interesting read, interesting comments.

If the TOS or AUP outline what is allowed and not allowed, and what will occur if there is a violation of this or that, supposedly the customer has read and agreed to this during checkout. THAT should be sufficient notification. So basically, there is no such thing as termination without notification, right? I'm just saying...

• @jvnadr said:
    A provider do not have the moral right to terminate account but he should first warn the client, for incidents like:

• One or two DMCA notices (he should ask his client to resolve the issue)

TOS and AUP are generally describe what a hosting provider want to provide as service. If the provider does abuse the trust between him and his client hiding behind a TOS for grey areas, not willing to resolve the issues or give a chance for resolving, then, such a provider is a no no for me...

Happen to me yesterday with MCH.

Don't know whether DCMA Complain is real or fake but it's from Sky Italy complain about 3 minutes football highlights.

1 year with MyCustomHosting but got DMCA complain yesterday for 1 single url post.

Sky Italy had email me and i delete that single url forever, problem solved with them.

But 8 hours later, MCH Suspend my VM forever,

never bother to ask long time client or never bother to check url post that got complain.

If MCH check it first before suspend my vps than absolutely there is nothing to complain.

in the end, yes i broke MCH TOS/AUP.

Ndha said: Don't know whether DCMA Complain is real or fake but it's from Sky Italy complain about 3 minutes football highlights.

How can you not know if it is real or fake, did you host the 3-minute copyright video or not?

I think this is why there is such a divide in this thread, some people really just have a sense of entitlement, they believe that the rules don't apply to them and they deserve plenty of warning if rules are going to be applied.

Other people were born before 1987, that's my best guess.

• @AnthonySmith said:

Ndha said: Don't know whether DCMA Complain is real or fake but it's from Sky Italy complain about 3 minutes football highlights.

How can you not know if it is real or fake, did you host the 3-minute copyright video or not?

Yes, i did, that's why i admit that i break TOS/AUP..

i upload it to my site, i'm wrong..delete it after got email from Sky..

i said fake or real is because sometimes it sent by website competitors..

i mean, if MCH do thing like i said above, read dmca email > suspend.

Rather than, read dmca email > check > suspend.

It's clear that Provider don't want to cooperate with client.

Just my 2 cents from Client view.

• Ndha said: Yes, i did, that's why i admit that i break TOS/AUP..

So you did upload a 3minute long copyrighted video that was originally from Sky. Then your provider terminated your service since you've hosted a copyrighted video and they got an email from Sky.

Cool...

• @Ndha said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Yes, i did, that's why i admit that i break TOS/AUP..

How do you know the host didn’t check before suspending you?

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @Nekki said:
    How do you know the host didn’t check before suspending you?

Like i said before..

There is timeframe between suspend..

I got email from Sky to delete and i delete url in 10 minutes after receive it..

But 8 hours later suddenly my vm off and got suspend info about dmca..

It must be manual suspend cause host must type suspend info..

So before do suspend, if he check again url that got complain it must be 404..

What action host to do if there is no url that got complain?? still suspend??

This from my point of view, cause i'm still wrong about break TOS..

edited September 2017

Ndha said: It's clear that Provider don't want to cooperate with client.

I see it the other way around, you knew that it was illegal in advance, you chose to do it anyway, it is you that is not co-operating.

But obviously, we are coming to this from different sides of the fence, you see it as a one-time thing (possibly) and you deserve a chance, I see it as an endless torrent of people doing stupid shit and expecting to get away with it because I actually have to deal with it.

Meanwhile somehow 95% of other customers seem to not do this sort of stupid crap and get themselves suspended/terminated for years upon years.

Thanked by 2Ndha AuroraZ