Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porkbun vs Namesilo - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Porkbun vs Namesilo

1235»

Comments

• bitswitchbitswitch Member
    edited December 2017

Edit: never mind

• @bitswitch said:
    Edit: never mind

That's right never you mind. Love the bun! Looooooove it!!!!

• @WebProject said:

@Shot2 said:
    No discussions - namesilo: no way.

Why? Any reason for it?

Same reasons as LTniger.

(Let's say: they know their job + are open to discussion with customers. Two good points.)

• @AuroraZ said:

Starting to border an obsession ;)

@Shot2 said:
    Same reasons as LTniger.

(Let's say: they know their job + are open to discussion with customers. Two good points.)

Your earlier response sounded a bit like you did not like Namesilo though.

• @bitswitch said:

@AuroraZ said:

Starting to border an obsession ;)

Nah I like Rebel as well, but out of those two love the bun. : )

• @AuroraZ said:

Fair enough :), on a serious note though, do you have a particular reason why you prefer Porkbun?

• @bitswitch said:

@AuroraZ said:

Fair enough :), on a serious note though, do you have a particular reason why you prefer Porkbun?

Ease of use and they seem to protect privacy. Prices aren't to bad either plus they are consistent.

• @AuroraZ said:
    Ease of use and they seem to protect privacy. Prices aren't to bad either plus they are consistent.

Is this in comparison to the usual suspects among registrars in general or in particular to Namesilo? If the latter I'd venture to say this also applies to Namesilo to be fair.

• @bitswitch said:

@AuroraZ said:

Is this in comparison to the usual suspects among registrars in general or in particular to Namesilo? If the latter I'd venture to say this also applies to Namesilo to be fair.

Nope doesn't recently they have done some things that lead me to believe if I called them and said I sue them they would hand over some one's shorts.

They aren't too many things left in the world I would fight for, but freedom of speech and the right to privacy are two things. Taking some one's domain from because what they have to say is not popular is wrong. I dgaf what it is as long as it's only words and not actions.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @AuroraZ said:
    Nope doesn't recently they have done some things that lead me to believe if I called them and said I sue them they would hand over some one's shorts.

They aren't too many things left in the world I would fight for, but freedom of speech and the right to privacy are two things. Taking some one's domain from because what they have to say is not popular is wrong. I dgaf what it is as long as it's only words and not actions.

Are you referring to

That is the exact reason which made me move more than just one test domain to Porkbun.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • Yeah I don't think they should have done that. Not that I agree with what the sites are about, only they have the right to say it. Like anyone else can say what they want.

• Agreed. I wouldnt exactly call myself a strong follower of those ideologies either, but it is not Namesilo's business to make a call here. If they really want to take an ethical stand they would have to shut down a lot more sites than just these two.

I am afraid that action changed my perception of Namesilo as well and was sort of a disappointment.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • I am not sure how I feel about that. I live in Europe and "freedom of speech" exists here but it is scoped differently from the US idea. Namesilo is based in the US, so this is a hypothetical reasoning, but I could imagine that if they were based in Germany or Italy, for example, they would arguably be required by law to refuse service to websites explicitly asserting certain ideologies that you probably can guess.

Is that right? I don't know, honestly. When I mention the existence of these laws to Americans, the kneejerk reaction is usually that it's a hypocritical restriction of freedom of speech with the purported goal of stopping movements that have restricted speech in the past.
    It's hard for me to argue that's untrue, but then again, although it was well before the Internet era, the US used to have strong censorship policies against movements it didn't like, and that was despite the supposedly strong free speech protections enshrined in its Constitution.

I think that at the end of the day, in both America and Europe, the legal meaning of "freedom of speech" is not that you can say whatever you want wherever you want: if you're in my house and I don't like what you're saying, it's my prerogative to show you the door. So I think a registrar should probably enjoy the same prerogative... although this idea becomes problematic in fields where there are monopolies or oligopolies (it's hard to brush off lack of net neutrality by just saying "well, get another ISP", for example, because cartels are pretty evident and the network backbones turn out to be run by a very limited number of actors)... but I'd say that in the case of registrars, for now at least, I don't see anything resembling an oligopoly in place, as there's like thousands of them.

This is just a thought on the matter; the bottom line of course is that just like they're free to show you the door if they don't like what you're saying, you're equally free to refuse to use them if you don't like that sort of attitude.

• @LjL said:
    This is just a thought on the matter; the bottom line of course is that just like they're free to show you the door if they don't like what you're saying, you're equally free to refuse to use them if you don't like that sort of attitude.

Freedom of speech does not mean it comes without repercussions. However, denying someone service based upon who they are before they've even setup services is why I abandoned NameSilo. I'm not a fan of Illionis Nazis, either, but to come out and twat "We dumped these guys lol" rather than silently refunding them and refusing service is precisely the sort of SJW bullshit that I refuse to do business with.

• While I didn't/don't agree with Namesilo's particular decision regarding DS (if this is what we're talking about), I still use Namesilo as a registrar (because I like them as a registrar). I guess that even if I don't agree with that particular decision, I can understand why they made that decision.

Google (the registrar) also rejected DS, but I still use Google, not as a registrar, but I still use various Google services.

Before I would praise Porkbun as a champion of free speech, I would like to see them tested. Would Porkbun be willing to act as a registrar for DS? I would be pleasantly surprised if yes, but I'm not so sure that the answer is yes.

• @angstrom said:
    While I didn't/don't agree with Namesilo's particular decision regarding DS (if this is what we're talking about), I still use Namesilo as a registrar (because I like them as a registrar). I guess that even if I don't agree with that particular decision, I can understand why they made that decision.

With Porkbun being absent from LET since September, we may never know. I dropped NameSilo, as mentioned above, because they felt the need they had to announce to the twat-a-verse that they did so. Had they silently refunded them and told them to go elsewhere, they'd still have my business.

By putting on a pretty face and saying "HEY GUYS LOOK AT WHAT I DID I HATE THEM TO", they not only exposed them as a customer, but that they're willing to publicly do so for attention.. and they offer Free Privacy? Yeah. No.

• @WSS said:

@angstrom said:
    While I didn't/don't agree with Namesilo's particular decision regarding DS (if this is what we're talking about), I still use Namesilo as a registrar (because I like them as a registrar). I guess that even if I don't agree with that particular decision, I can understand why they made that decision.

With Porkbun being absent from LET since September, we may never know. I dropped NameSilo, as mentioned above, because they felt the need they had to announce to the twat-a-verse that they did so. Had they silently refunded them and told them to go elsewhere, they'd still have my business.

By putting on a pretty face and saying "HEY GUYS LOOK AT WHAT I DID I HATE THEM TO", they not only exposed them as a customer, but that they're willing to publicly do so for attention.. and they offer Free Privacy? Yeah. No.

I understand what you're saying, but I guess that Namesilo felt that they needed to make a public statement after they were called out by the SJWs, and Twitter is how they make public statements. But I see what you're saying.