Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porkbun vs Namesilo - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Porkbun vs Namesilo

Comments

• Currently using NameSilo. It just works. I don't mind the dated UI.

On the other hand, I'm glad there is high level competitors like PorkBun in the market. I would consider then if/when they have a better offer for my domain renewals.

• @beagle said:
    I don't mind the dated UI.

Many people call it dated and while it certainly does not follow the newest hypes it is IMHO far more user friendly than many others. Porkbun for example seems to follow the "responsive" trend but personally I find its usability a lot worse.

• @seanho said:

@WSS said:

@raindog308 said:
    When you lose your phone, those Authenticator numbers won't. In fact, there's no way to reconnect them, so you'll need to type in those recovery codes for every. single. site. you. use.

My god this was a pain. Broke my phone, moved to another, and had to go and reauth for everything. Thankfully, after a support request, my number on file was called by PorkBun, and they turned it off.

If you have root, you can just regularly backup the app's database with Titanium Backup, and restore your latest backup to your new phone. I much prefer TOTP to SMS for 2FA.

Lots of pretty scenery around Centralia / Chehalis once you get a little ways away from the freeway; otherwise, it feels like an overgrown truck stop; definitely not hipstery.

Authy has a backup option (Encrypted so you do need to remember the backup password, also I think it uses SMS verification on top of that to move it to a new device)

• Enom not even a contender?
    howso?

• @404error said:
    Enom not even a contender?
    howso?

At $50 for a .com, why?

• @bitswitch said:

@404error said:
    Enom not even a contender?
    howso?

At $50 for a .com, why?

$50? where at you taking that number from?
    If I recall correctly it's about $9.60

• Love the bun! Love the bun! Love it!!!!!

• @404error said:

https://www.enomcentral.com/pricing.aspx

Where did you take the 9.6 from?

• @bitswitch said:

@404error said:

https://www.enomcentral.com/pricing.aspx

Where did you take the 9.6 from?

https://www.enom.com
    $13.95 or under $10 with a reseller account.

• @404error said:

Thats their reseller site though and requires a deposit as far as I know. In any case it is still more expensive than the two registrars at hand.

• Too much email notification on Porkbun when you decide not to renew a domain.

+1 Namesilo.

• I like Namesilo's offers, but I really like the personal touch you get with PorkBun. The PorkBun API still takes a bit to be desired (like being implented), but every time I've needed something, Ross has answered me in under 24 hours..

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • @bitswitch said:

@404error said:

Thats their reseller site though and requires a deposit as far as I know. In any case it is still more expensive than the two registrars at hand.

The $13.95 price is public, anyone can order.

The $9ish price is for resellers, It does require a deposit and they deduct like 3‰ from each deposit.
    So basically the cost is the price of the service + 3%.

I don't know how other registrars work.
    What I can say is that enom is smooth, and price is not everything.

But then, I don't know how other registrars work...

• bitswitchbitswitch Member
    edited December 2017

@404error said:
    The $13.95 price is public, anyone can order.

The $9ish price is for resellers, It does require a deposit and they deduct like 3‰ from each deposit.
    So basically the cost is the price of the service + 3%.

I don't know how other registrars work.
    What I can say is that enom is smooth, and price is not everything.

Fair enough, thanks for the clarification

But then, I don't know how other registrars work...

May I suggest to still check out other registrars as well? And if it is just for the sake of a possible alternative.

Both, Namesilo and Porkbun, offer some of the lowest prices among registrars. From a service point of view I'd generally recommend Namesilo, I didnt like some of their recent decisions though and hence am leaning somewhat towards Porkbun right now.

Thanked by 2WSS 404error
  • @bitswitch said:
    Both, Namesilo and Porkbun, offer some of the lowest prices among registrars. From a service point of view I'd generally recommend Namesilo, I didnt like some of their recent decisions thought and hence am leaning somewhat towards Porkbun right now.

The biggest PITA will be migrating (recreating) your email aliases, because you can't just export/import those - and you get something like 10/domain with Porkbun.

I took care of that by going MXRoute/MailCheap after migrating to Porkbun. :D

• The thing is that for me, with Porkbun I went "sure, that'll do for my small group's site, no need for anything fancy", but now instead I'm realizing that perhaps Porkbun in its current state would be better for bigger sites, i.e. when you don't care that the free email forwards are limited, as you'll run your own mail server anyway, and you don't care about having sub-user accounts, because you won't have a small group of semi-trusted users having to mess with the DNS records all the time.

Instead, it'll just be there, and work... and if you're unlucky and it doesn't work, all that I keep seeing about Porkbun is that their support is nice and quick, so that would be an assurance.
    Plus if you're a bigger site, you might like Porkbun's more flexible DNSSEC abilities and subdomain delegation (I am not 100% sure NameSilo is inferior in this regard but it was stated here at some point), which are probably overkill features for most small sites.

In any case, "big" is relative, and I imagine a really big site would just use their own nameserver and all of this would become moot.

So all in all, given what I need falls into the category of "quite small, but not one-person site", I might move over to NameSilo later (by the way, is private whois really going to be a problem with transfering? I tried sending "my" whois's address an email, and that worked), but meanwhile I will see if Porkbun makes some things more flexible.

I am particularly bothered by the 10 email forwards (with no SRS, although so far everyone has received test emails we've tried, albeit delayed due to being graylisted), as I hoped to give everyone involved an address.
    (Mind, the limit is stated, I'm not calling it hidden... I just missed it.)

Thanked by 1bitswitch
  • @LjL said:
    (by the way, is private whois really going to be a problem with transfering? I tried sending "my" whois's address an email, and that worked)

No guarantee of course :) but I would not assume it to be a problem. Everyone is warning about it but AFAIK that is mostly to avoid that people transfer protected domains with non-forwarded addresses. Recently I transfered from Namesilo and the confirmation email arrived just fine (not immediately but I cant tell whether the delay happened at sending it or at the forwarding bit).

Thanked by 1LjL
  • @bitswitch said:

@LjL said:
    (by the way, is private whois really going to be a problem with transfering? I tried sending "my" whois's address an email, and that worked)

No guarantee of course :) but I would not assume it to be a problem. Everyone is warning about it but AFAIK that is mostly to avoid that people transfer protected domains with non-forwarded addresses. Recently I transfered from Namesilo and the confirmation email arrived just fine (not immediately but I cant tell whether the delay happened at sending it or at the forwarding bit).

Does depend on your account settings in NameSilo, i had mine set to blackhole them. Whoops.

• @dragon2611 said:
    Does depend on your account settings in NameSilo, i had mine set to blackhole them. Whoops.

Well, naturally it wont work in that case, just as if you provided an email address where you cant receive email :).

• WSSWSS Member
    edited December 2017

I only had problems migrating ONE private domain, because email wasn't being received. So, I made it public and transferred it. About 8 hours later, the email finally came through (but had ancient timestamp so no idea why it was being held so long, as it was an active address and already through the NameSilo "first messages take hours" throttling..)

• bitswitchbitswitch Member
    edited December 2017

@WSS said:
    So, I made it public

Apart from the privacy implications this bit always makes me freak out a bit, as I'd assume it could potentially block the transfer under the new rules where a change of ownership (which I'd assume a switch from/to whois privacy is) blocks any transactions for the domain for 60 days IIRC. Unbased fears?

• WSSWSS Member
    edited December 2017

@bitswitch said:

@WSS said:
    So, I made it public

Apart from the privacy implications this bit always makes me freak out a bit, as I'd assume it could potentially block the transfer under the new rules where a change of ownership (which I'd assume a switch from/to whois privacy is) blocks any transactions for the domain for 60 days IIRC. Unbased fears?

Changing privacy, in my experience, doesn't muddle the waters when transferring with most registrars. Yes, there is a chance that this registration change will be snagged by some whois-storage-site, but it didn't really matter in this case.

If you're moving from NameSilo to Porkbun, just be more patient than I was, and give it a day for your email to move.

Also, anything you might have registered using your NameSilo private email address with will need to be updated/changed. I've got a dead vanity domain on namecheap because I forgot to update that before transfer (and wasn't going to pay $3/yr for privacy on a $1 domain).

• @WSS said:
    Changing privacy, in my experience, doesn't muddle the waters when transferring with most registrars. Yes, there is a chance that this registration change will be snagged by some whois-storage-site, but it didn't really matter in this case.

It is not so much about the data being picked up but more whether that could block the transfer.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited December 2017

@bitswitch said:

@WSS said:

It is not so much about the data being picked up but more whether that could block the transfer.

In my experience, only changing privacy settings has never blocked a transfer for two months; I did have one registrar that blocked me for changing registered nameservers, however.

• @WSS said:
    In my experience, only changing privacy settings has never blocked a transfer for two months; I did have one registrar that blocked me for changing registered nameservers, however.

I am just worried because I havent really understood yet how these new policies affect transfers of domains with recently (past five minutes for example) disabled whois privacy.

• @bitswitch said:

@WSS said:

I am just worried because I havent really understood yet how these new policies affect transfers of domains with recently (past five minutes for example) disabled whois privacy.

All you need to know is love the bun! Love it!

• @AuroraZ said:
    All you need to know is love the bun! Love it!

• WSSWSS Member
    edited December 2017

Well, Porkbun just changed their website and now it's nearly functionally useless.

The website redesign isn't only ugly, but it has lost some massive functionality (from the outside, not-authenticated site).

I can't find the list of instant prices for TLDs simply (it's now an ajaxified link AFTER the page is loaded) - but the layout is much more legible when it loads.. but the click-through is now twice as long.

The 'search for a domain' system doesn't seem to work if you don't specify a TLD. I've tried three searches for a vanity domain and it, well, just doesn't do anything but reload the page. I ended up using a third party registrar to see which TLDs were available. Also, login is broken if you use AdBlock.

Thanks @oborseth. @Ross didn't have enough to do. Repent! Repent! Bring back functional design, please!

• @WSS said:
    Well, Porkbun just changed their website and now it's nearly functionally useless.

But its even more responsive.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited December 2017

@bitswitch said:
    But its even more responsive.

Note that I intentionally approached this OUTSIDE of the management area. If you're already signed up, the domain-query search works fine, and you can easily click through on current pricing after searching for your domain.

E: Account Transfer is groovy. They didn't have that before.