Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's cool on Storage VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's cool on Storage VPS?

Hey community.

Do you guys know about any known reliable providers offering storage VPS ?

Providers like at RamNode's level and BuyVM, etc. I already got something going on these two.

How is backupsy?

Comments

• Thanked by 1time4vps
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

HostHatch maybe? I think they're re-vamping the storage KVMs. @Abdullah

• Time4VPS

Thanked by 1time4vps
  • ZXhost maybe?

• Very Reliable : 100mbps @time4vps, 1Gbps @liteserver 200GB ovz ('25EGGS' coupon)

(500mbit +) Backupsy too , if still at $7/500GB or less.

Thanked by 3WSS time4vps LiteServer
  • Depends a bit what you mean by "storage" -- for me, I think of 0.5TB and up, but some consider 100GB sufficient. Also, cold backups vs. personal Plex vs. file sharing for 10k clients are very different use-cases for "storage", you need to budget accordingly.

ZXHost @AshleyUK has been very stable as a host for me. Their Ceph cluster has had some growing pains recently due to the too-good-to-be-true 3yr special, but for cold storage I'd still recommend them (as one of your stable of storage providers, since of course you put your important data on multiple providers).

@time4vps are also in the business for the long-term; they're not going anywhere. They have been rock-solid for me as well (for storing backups).

Thanked by 2willie time4vps
  • HxxxHxxx Member

Forgot to mention: USA

Thanked by 1ezrix
  • budget?

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@Hxxx said:
    Forgot to mention: USA

First recommendation would be to continue your trend, just pick up different BuyVM + Ramnode locations.

Next on the list would be SpeedyKVM - https://speedykvm.com/billing/cart.php?gid=9

• BuyVM has a good product though expensive by today's standards. They are working on a refresh, which I hope will also be accompanied by a slice restock in Las Vegas.

Other than that, if your idea of "US" includes Canada, I'd consider OVH/SYS in Quebec, or some other dedi offers that show up now and then.

HTTPZoom sometimes offers a 1TB KVM promo for 7/mo here on LET. That's good pricing by US standards but I don't have any experience with them so can't comment on quality. They do answer LET posts in their offer threads and they've been around a while, fwiw.

Oh forgot: Wishosting.com (well regarded LET member) has a 500GB Las Vegas NAT-only KVM plan for $5/mo or $12/quarter. I have the 1TB EU version and it's been fine.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep
  • I use Backupsy in US, partly because it was the cheapest when I ordered, but mostly because the owner is a real life friend. Backupsy has worked without glitches for years for me.

• @Harzem said:
    I use Backupsy in> US, partly because it was the cheapest when I ordered, but mostly because the owner is a real life friend. Backupsy has worked without glitches for years for me.

Looks costly as far as the low-end market is concerned, how is the service?

• @cyberpersons said:

@Harzem said:
    I use Backupsy in> US, partly because it was the cheapest when I ordered, but mostly because the owner is a real life friend. Backupsy has worked without glitches for years for me.

Looks costly as far as the low-end market is concerned, how is the service?

It wasn't costly back then, but now the competition has caught up and I see better offers.

The service is good for me, but I'm using it for rsync backup, which isn't something I login and check quality every day. It's been keeping my backups on its filesystem for years, and that's the extend of service I expect from a backup vps.

I just don't consider it costly, when I pay $6/mo for 250 gb which is more than enough for me. If I need several TB of space, I may look for something cheaper/TB. Until then, why fix if not broke.

• HxxxHxxx Member

Yeah well to be honest I've not seen anything better on the market than BuyVM in terms of trustworthy on this area (storage). No issues there honestly.

Vultr used to have some good storage backups but now they have move on to the object storage bullshit.

RamNode, I don't think they ever had storage backups. Don't know why I thought about it.

I don't know about HTTPZoom or speedykvm perhaps somebody can comment on that.

HostUS have a good reputation around, might check that, looks interesting.

Backupsy was or is popular too. I'm always a little concerned tho, so that prevents me from ordering.

Thanks to everyone for commenting.

@willie said:
    BuyVM has a good product though expensive by today's standards. They are working on a refresh, which I hope will also be accompanied by a slice restock in Las Vegas.

Other than that, if your idea of "US" includes Canada, I'd consider OVH/SYS in Quebec, or some other dedi offers that show up now and then.

HTTPZoom sometimes offers a 1TB KVM promo for 7/mo here on LET. That's good pricing by US standards but I don't have any experience with them so can't comment on quality. They do answer LET posts in their offer threads and they've been around a while, fwiw.

Oh forgot: Wishosting.com (well regarded LET member) has a 500GB Las Vegas NAT-only KVM plan for $5/mo or $12/quarter. I have the 1TB EU version and it's been fine.

• Another +1 for speedykvm, if you need a US based storage provider.

• kerus1024kerus1024 Member
    edited August 2017

mnx.io time4vps.eu

Thanked by 1time4vps
  • @Harzem said:
    I just don't consider it costly, when I pay $6/mo for 250 gb which is more than enough for me. If I need several TB of space, I may look for something cheaper/TB. Until then, why fix if not broke.

I would agree, it would be costly with them if needed space in TBs.

• If you don't mind, kimsufi 3C when doing discounts.

• tarasistarasis Member
    edited August 2017

Been using @time4vps for 9 months now for storage. Has worked without issue, and would happily recommend it.

Actually been thinking of upgrading from 1TB to 2TB but price is higher than I'd like to pay (was actually hoping to find a current time4vps offer here)

Thanked by 1time4vps
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

willie said: BuyVM has a good product though expensive by today's standards. They are working on a refresh, which I hope will also be accompanied by a slice restock in Las Vegas.

Hello :)

It would have to. The new product is based around block storage which would let me simplify the product line to just be slices with some cheap addons.

Francisco

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@msg7086 said:
    If you don't mind, kimsufi 3C when doing discounts.

We will not see such a deal again,

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@Nekki said:

@msg7086 said:
    If you don't mind, kimsufi 3C when doing discounts.

We will not see such a deal again,

Maybe not, but still.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Fuck Atoms.

Thanked by 1Waldo19
  • I honestly don't think BuyVM is expensive at all. 1TB for 30/mo that for me is great. I currently use them, was looking for other alternatives as secondary or Tertiary backup.

Normally the best route is to take on the dedicated servers specials ... but a VPS is much simpler to manage than messing with hardware directly, raids, verifying disks, etc.

• @Francisco said:

willie said:slice restock in Las Vegas.

Hello :)

It would have to.

Doesn't matter now, I snagged a LV slice yesterday ;).

The new product is based around block storage which would let me simplify the product line to just be slices with some cheap addons.

This sounds way interesting. What's the software if you don't mind my asking?

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Francisco said: The new product is based around block storage

Do you have a ball park $/GB for the block storage?

• edited September 2017

Question related to storage.....is anyone out there regularly using refurb drives instead of new drives in their personal NAS RAID arrays? I'd think that saving 50% or more on drive prices for your RAID away would make a lot of sense if integrated into a bigger picture incremental backup strategy.

I'm thinking that I wouldn't mind replacing the drives in my software RAID1 NAS more frequently if they come at a considerable cost cut given that I have the CPU horsepower to rebuild the array in a fair amount of time (ODROID-XU4). The data is protected by doing incremental offsite snapshot backups (rsnapshot) to a second software RAID1 NAS in another geographic location.

• @rajprakash said:
    Question related to storage.....is anyone out there regularly using refurb drives instead of new drives in their personal NAS RAID arrays? I'd think that saving 50% or more on drive prices for your RAID away would make a lot of sense if integrated into a bigger picture incremental backup strategy.

I'm thinking that I wouldn't mind replacing the drives in my software RAID1 NAS more frequently if they come at a considerable cost cut given that I have the CPU horsepower to rebuild the array in a fair amount of time (ODROID-XU4). The data is protected by doing incremental offsite snapshot backups (rsnapshot) to a second software RAID1 NAS in another geographic location.

With 4x redundancy you can use half-dead hdd-s and still be safe.
    Also, IMO used drives with moderate runtime (like within 10-20k hours) and without obvious issues like physical damage are even safer than brand new ones, because with new drive you always have a chance of getting defective one.
    Older drives with like ~40-60k hours lifetime are not worth it, most likely, because they will not last very long and they are not completely free too... you will end up spending more money on replacements.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Gamma17 said:

@rajprakash said:

With 4x redundancy you can use half-dead hdd-s and still be safe.
    Also, IMO used drives with moderate runtime (like within 10-20k hours) and without obvious issues like physical damage are even safer than brand new ones, because with new drive you always have a chance of getting defective one.
    Older drives with like ~40-60k hours lifetime are not worth it, most likely, because they will not last very long and they are not completely free too... you will end up spending more money on replacements.

Yea I understand concepts behind the redundancy protection as well as the risks with the power on hours. Just looking to see if anyone is actually using refurb drives in real word applications.