Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your opinions on OVHLIVE.ML
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Your opinions on OVHLIVE.ML

sundaymousesundaymouse Member
edited July 2013 in Providers

Lots of confusion today, on the mysterious offer from OVH.
So I grabbed my idled Ramnode KVM, and applied for a free .ml domain.
And this page is now up, to clear the confusions:

http://www.ovhlive.ml

I will try to keep it up-to-date when it's BST daytime.

Please let me know your opinions on this page, and possible improvements.

And my html skill is really bad, so please don't twist that :)

Thanks.

Comments

• Your opinions

I'd familiarize myself with WIPO and UDRP if I were you. Registering a domain name that is a derivative of a registered trademark is never a good idea unless you have the trademark owner's consent to use the name.

• lumaluma Member

Sorry but I think it is 100% useless.

OVH has always used a combination of old servers and new servers. You get what is available next in line. If the next in line is a server with 1 core that was recently cancelled that is what you get, if not you may end up with a newer, more powerful server (similar product) sometimes you end up with a big bonus but that is rare.

I have 6 KS servers and 3 have N2800 Atom cpu's, one as a Celeron 220 (1.2Ghz), one as a Atom 230 and the last has an Atom D425

All 6 cost the same and are from the same product line.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@luma said:
    All 6 cost the same and are from the same product line.

Perhaps, but this new line was advertised at first with 2 cores. Now that is changed without notification. While I know OVH's stunts, I was unable to predict that, therefore they got worse in time, they never pulled this trick before (change specs and conditions for the offer mid-way, at least not on such a scale).

• who cares

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@manacit said:
    who cares

Looks like a lot of ppl do. What if we advertised 4 cores on OVerZold line and gave 2 only for random people ? I am sure you would have cared.

• did the .ml stands for make love?

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

Where are the ads? I don't like sites without ads.

• SpiritSpirit Member

@DomainBop said:
    I'd familiarize myself with WIPO and UDRP if I were you.

WIPO and UDRP? :) Does OVH have registered trademark in Mali? Only gTLD domains are subject to ICANN rules and while many ccTLD registries incorporated their rules (registering domain names in bad faith concept) into own dispute policies domain is solely under jurisdiction of Mali and governed by Agence des Technologies de l’Information et de la Communication (AGETIC).
    He would need to search with them for potential "Dispute Resolution for .ml Domain Names" if there's any.

• Just to create a page with current situations, without the need of pay money to register a domain for this(and possible trademark issues?). I would appreciate people saying it is useless, I'll put it there for a few days anyway :)

• @DomainBop said:
    I'd familiarize myself with WIPO and UDRP if I were you. Registering a domain name that is a derivative of a registered trademark is never a good idea unless you have the trademark owner's consent to use the name.

Yeah, but the most they can do is to force the domain to change hands. They can't force you to pay additional money in the process.

• skaska Member
    edited July 2013

@Spirit said:
    Only gTLD domains are subject to ICANN rules

Not really. Read the DRP of point.ml:

This Mali .ML Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (the "Policy") has been adopted by Mali Dili BV ("Point ML Registry"), registered as business in Amsterdam, Netherlands and doing business as "Point ML Registry" and "Point ML", and is incorporated by reference into your Registration Agreement, and sets forth the terms and conditions in connection with a dispute between you and any party other than Point ML (the registry) over the registration and use of an Internet domain name registered by you. Proceedings under Paragraph 4 of this Policy will be conducted according to the Rules for Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (the "Rules of Procedure"), which are available at http://www.icann.org/en/help/dndr/udrp/rules, as modified by this Policy and the selected administrative-dispute-resolution service provider's supplemental rules.

• natestammnatestamm Member
    edited July 2013

I could probably figure this out with some checking but I could never understand the EU connection with OVH. When I see order links on LET and people talking about it seems like people have to buy through a .de or .it ccTLD to get the order through. Can some one just clear this up for me and clarify whether or not a buyer in the States can buy without the order being cancelled? If so what is the reference the OP is making above. Never had a Kimsufi before, all my Dedi's came from theplanet. And this would be for me personally not a client or business partner, which is why I ask.

• @natestamm said:
    I could probably figure this out with some checking but I could never understand the EU connection with OVH. When I see order links on LET and people talking about it seems like people have to buy through a .de or .it ccTLD to get the order through. Can some one just clear this up for me and clarify whether or not a buyer in the States can buy without the order being cancelled? If so what is the reference the OP is making above. Never had a Kimsufi before, all my Dedi's came from theplanet. And this would be for me personally not a client or business partner, which is why I ask.

From my recent experience, if you order from OVH.co.uk and you live in the USA your order will be cancelled (found out the hard way). You have to order from OVH.ie, there is an option that asks for your country and the US is one of the options. Upon registration you'll be asked to email them a copy of a utility bill and a photocopy of your ID. Once you submit that (usually takes 1-2 days for them to verify you depending on how busy they are), you won't be charged VAT and you'll be able to purchase freely from OVH.ie. Hope that helps!

Thanked by 1natestamm
  • awsonawson Member

@skybucks100 said:
    From my recent experience, if you order from OVH.co.uk and you live in the USA your order will be cancelled (found out the hard way). You have to order from OVH.ie, there is an option that asks for your country and the US is one of the options. Upon registration you'll be asked to email them a copy of a utility bill and a photocopy of your ID. Once you submit that (usually takes 1-2 days for them to verify you depending on how busy they are), you won't be charged VAT and you'll be able to purchase freely from OVH.ie. Hope that helps!

USA/non-EU residents get their orders cancelled on .ie too.

https://www.ovh.ie/dedicated_servers/kimsufi.xml

Exclusively available for residents of the European Union only.

• @skybucks100 said:

They're cancelling .ie orders for murkanz too.

• @awson @Rallias Really? Well that sucks. Considering Americans are now forced to use the BHS DC and their cheapest dedicated server is $40...

• OVH routing US sales through .ie, sounds like Google is not the only company dodging tax??

• rds100rds100 Member

@asterisk14 they don't offer any services in USA, so what's the problem here?
    Yes, it makes sense to route US sales/support through a country with native English speakers.

• @rds100 said:
    asterisk14 they don't offer any services in USA, so what's the problem here?
    Yes, it makes sense to route US sales/support through a country with native English speakers.

Don't know if you are from the UK or not, but there is a big stink here about Google routing their UK 'sales' through Ireland to avoid paying any tax on them in the UK. Other companies like Amazon, Starbucks and others are also doing the same and have 'special' arrangements to pay tax at a lower rate than a normal business like small LEB providers. It's not a level playig field. That's the problem here!

• awsonawson Member

@asterisk14 said:
    Don't know if you are from the UK or not, but there is a big stink here about Google routing their UK 'sales' through Ireland to avoid paying any tax on them in the UK. Other companies like Amazon, Starbucks and others are also doing the same and have 'special' arrangements to pay tax at a lower rate than a normal business like small LEB providers. It's not a level playig field. That's the problem here!

Why does this concern you?

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited July 2013

@asterisk14 well, i am sure they can hire IT people much cheaper in Ireland than in UK, and with better English too. That's why so many tech companies (Amazon, Google, Facebook, Paypal, etc.) have divisions in Ireland and not in UK. And yes, the taxes are much lower too, which i imagine helps a lot.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited July 2013

@awson said:
    Why does this concern you?

Maybe this is how they are undercutting the competition/other dedicated providers/LEB providers. This should concern us all, as less competition is worse for consumers in the end and we need the taxes for healthcare, education, which are being cut to save cash so it can be given to the bankers.

• are you serious....

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited July 2013

@rds100 said:
    asterisk14 well, i am sure they can hire IT people much cheaper in Ireland than in UK, and with better English too.

No, pay is similar in both countries

That's why so many tech companies (Amazon, Google, Facebook, Paypal, etc.) have divisions in Ireland and not in UK. And yes, the taxes are much lower too, which i imagine helps a lot.

The taxes have been specially lowered for Google in Ireland, not for a normal business in Ireland, the sole trader/SME still have to pay the normal tax rate. If the ordinary sole trader/SME said they will not pay more than the google tax rate, they would have their house repossessed, and then face jail time. Amazon has a similar arrangement and puts all its UK sales through Luxembourg so avoid paying tax in the UK that other high street booksellers have to pay. Therefore they can't compete, and are going out of business.

This should concern us all, as less competition is worse for consumers in the end and we need the taxes for healthcare, education, which are being cut to save cash so it can be given to the bankers

• skaska Member
    edited July 2013

@asterisk14 said:
    The taxes have been specially lowered for Google in Ireland, not for a normal business in Ireland, the sole trader/SME still have to pay the normal tax rate.

This is false. The corporate tax rate in IE is at 12,5%. This counts for every incorporated business (in terms of being a taxable corporation) so even SME. Only sole entrepreneurs and partnerships pay a different rate because they are not considered corporations. This is done so in most of the countries in the EU. Except that the tax rate differs in the respective countries.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited July 2013

@rds100 said:
    asterisk14 well, i am sure they can hire IT people much cheaper in Ireland than in UK, and with better English too. That's why so many tech companies (Amazon, Google, Facebook, Paypal, etc.) have divisions in Ireland and not in UK. And yes, the taxes are much lower too, which i imagine helps a lot.

It's not about lower taxes directly but specific Irish tax law loophole.

The tactics is to set up a company, which is headquartered in OFC but through subsidiaries operate in Ireland where because specific Irish law th don't pay taxes in Ireland but to OFC tax haven country where is based this company. Taxes that way aren't paid in Ireland but from other side they can do business through Ireland with whole EU which recently angered some countries (most specificly France in google case).

There's more:
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/04/28/business/Double-Irish-With-A-Dutch-Sandwich.html?_r=0
    http://merrypenny.com/money-world/how-avoid-taxes

• skaska Member

@asterisk14 said:
    ska

"Google’s income shifting -- involving strategies known to lawyers as the “Double Irish” and the “Dutch Sandwich” -- helped reduce its overseas tax rate to 2.4 percent" considerabely less than 12.5% other Irish companies have to pay!

http://visualeconomics.creditloan.com/double-irish-deception-how-google-apple-facebook-avoid-paying-taxes/

You don't seem to understand that tax triangular setup. It just works because you need a company that is based in another (outside EU) jurisdiction different from IE. This has nothing to do with the system of corporate tax. It has to do with how a state accepts losses or taxes paid in another state.

• LeeLee Veteran

Looks like a pretty useless page to me. It looks like it will rely on threads that are already discussing the issue to get any updates. Aside from that it's already out of date and contains incorrect info.

Thanked by 1ska
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited July 2013

@ska said:
    This has nothing to do with the system of corporate tax. It has to do with how a state accepts losses or taxes paid in another state.

Exactly, this has nothing to do with the system of corporate tax but specific Irish tax regulations in contrary to the rest of EU where company for profit made in Ireland don't need to pay (most of) taxes to Ireland but to country where are headquarters of this company which is usually some OFC tax haven country. (more about that my post above).