Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

€2.99/month dedicated - what's going to happen in the industry? - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

€2.99/month dedicated - what's going to happen in the industry?

Comments

• xsetxset Member

@zen and also you have to eventually PAY more for them for this "DDOS protection""....

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Zen said:
    I was thinking this last night before getting off, but looks like xset already made this point.

OVH is now, essentially a useless provider for anyone unless there is a valid way to opt out of their 'ddos protection'.

What is the point of a filtering solution, if a measly lets say 500PPS flood can trigger your servers traffic to be routed via their filtering solution, causing lots of latency issues and even inaccessibility in the case that you are hosting anything that requires an ongoing connection (streaming, gameservers, SSH???), and basically anything other than a basic website.) - So what OVH have created is in effect a new, much more destructive, child of the DDoS attack. The Anti-DDoS-DDoS solution that can give you a less malicious reason your server is offline!

I'm well aware of filtering solutions available and that you can have packet loss and legitimate connections can drop temporarily but OVH seems to take it to a whole new level, your traffic seems to be going through over 3 'vacuum'/'firewall'/'switches' and every time it goes through a vacuum it seems to have a 5-6 hop overhead with each (going through the hoop so to speak for each vacuum) which seems a little ridiculous and inefficient.

Really makes me wonder, what is to stop someone attacking the entire Kimsufi suite of servers with a mere 500PPS each and destroying any services hosted on them. It's pretty unacceptable.

Not really. I think their filtering system is in the making, they are testing configurations.

What is now huge latency and even complete packet loss, can be tweaked to be usable. They probably put the limit so low that at least some ppl of the ultracheap atom line will be routed through there so they can try the system. It looks like it does not work this way, personally i would not expect to work because that is not really a ddos and you have nothing to filter, therefore everything gets filtered because all packets are the same.

Anyway, lets see how it goes, they are after more targets with this offer (fill a dc, a pr stunt, awe the investors, test new tools and setups), I would not expect they will hit all of them, but i hope the DDoS will be made to work in such a way that will not only be useful in blocking the DDoS, but will also hinder the normal operations very little.

• skaska Member

@xset said:

How about if you edit your comments and not post always new comments under yours. It makes reading the thread quite hard.

@Zen said:
    Whether they fix it or not, they will surely take a hit for it as more people are effected, and on top of that it is simply unacceptable to test something so Alpha across your entire production range. I would fully understand if they did it for a set of products (like maybe the one without any network SLA???) but they aren't.

I am not sure this is the case. If it is, was maybe a mistake, I think only the low cost/no SLA products will be used for testing.

Time will tell, there is some serious lack of planning and the possible consequences were not anticipated correctly, but they certainly have ambitious goals and it may pan out well in the end.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@rm_ said:
    2) does your "hosting of serious and distributed" neccessarily include high UDP packet rate? Oh no it doesn't, and you would just use TCP connections? So where is the problem then even right now?

High UDP rate and high TCP rate should load their routers the same, both have their uses with UDP gaining popularity as the base for application-specific protocols. So why should a "high" UDP rate be blocked when much more bandwidth intensive TCP streams are not? Doesn't make any sense, and they should say that they don't allow UDP on their servers if they are going to block it like that.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2013

@perennate because DDoS attacks they were fighting with are all UDP.
    You can see their history from 2011 here: http://status.ovh.net/?do=details&id=1449
    They ended up putting 20 Mbps UDP limit. But the new "VAC" is supposed to be smarter than that, and not require any hard limits, instead intelligently detect a DDoS and block only it. What's beyond me is that these hiccups during beta some people end up qualifying as the end of the f--king world and spam every thread about how this is way too horrible, how they get no any kind of solution, how they are cancelling their 100500 orders and never ever going to use OVH for anything "serious and distributed".

• xsetxset Member

@perennate and if simple completely unrelated ping/traceroute can get you blocked, they a lot to work on....

• udkudk Member

simple ping/traceroute didn't get me blocked. I've left mtr running for 1 hour now.

• xsetxset Member

@udk but you didnt do it during the UDP usage when they we're gaming. I did ping/traceroute when they were playing games.

• I'm interested in the miniSP, however I don't know which location is best. Can those that have bought the new miniSP, please run this bench and give the location that you picked. wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash

Whats the difference between RBX and SBG. As far as I know RBX is their main DC. But it is really confusing, since they have so many DCs around the same location.

Thanks

• @Maounique said:
    Sucks to be me :(

For what it's worth: I still like you :-) Like I said before, I really don't understand why people give you so much hate. You're a contributing member and an honest and decent person. People should appreciate members like you more.

It's a LET-thing I guess. Hate the honest people, like the "scammers".

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • xsetxset Member

@centaur http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/data_centre_selection.xml
    From my experience it doesn't make big difference whether it is SBG or RBX, except for availability of servers.

• @Centaur Whats the difference between RBX and SBG.

about 404km/250 miles if you're a bird :)

I don't know which location is best

That depends where the majority of your visitors are located. If they're in central or eastern Europe then you should choose SBG. If they're in the US or Canada pick BHS. If they're in western Europe or the rest of the world pick RBX.

• I'm with @Maounique on this one to be honest.

As opposed to some family/small business people that do not have such thoughts hidden somewhere in the not-so-long-term strategy plan, every huge company seems to naturally tend to become a monopoly and take over the market - just because it sounds somewhat possible to them. Rich get richer.

You are not going to notice how you all will end up having a microchip in your butt.

• skaska Member

@devnull said:
    You are not going to notice how you all will end up having a microchip in your butt.

Social security# and vaccination already made that happen. ;-)

• ztecztec Member

Oh gawd not this again.

Thanked by 1ska
  • nixcomnixcom Member

If you don't want trouble with OVH, you need to go with their Montréal, Canada location. I got no problems at all... Not the same prices but it works perfectly ;)

• xsetxset Member

@nixcom What troubles? Great Firewall is there too.

• nixcomnixcom Member

@xset said:
    nixcom What troubles? Great Firewall is there too.

Ddos issues

• jcalebjcaleb Member

How about the other 2 competitor offering 10euro, are they okay also?

• @jcaleb Online.net's connectivity is very, very bad (<1Mbit/s to US)

Not sure about digicube, but their plans are far worse than OVH's

Thanked by 1jcaleb
    edited July 2013

@mpkossen said:

I am joking :)

TBH I like it a lot when I can predict something and it happens.

The KS for 3 Eur offer is more or less a disaster in progress, it is true 4.5 is still very low, it is true they are big and can afford it, it is true it may affect a few people operating on the LEB market, it is also true they planned it badly and will end up with worse PR than before.

As I said before, I do not hate OVH, only did so when I thought they are discriminating against romanians specifically, but that proved not to be true, they are a relatively young company which grew very fast and put some ppl without experience in some positions where they are making mistakes.

Am I afraid of OVH ? As a provider, no, they are n a different market, hopefully they will be able to take over the ppl which suffer DDoS attacks and disrupt the networks of small providers, if that will work, the LEB market will be more reliable. Also, they will probably take a few abusers too, I feel bad for everyone which has to be kicked due to having an undersized VM because of lack of money or because is a victim of attacks.

Before working for a provider I am a customer and I care for the market and the health of other providers. Who is afraid of competition and wishes badly for others is in the wrong market, it means has nothing to offer more than the next competitor or has too high costs which require higher prices for the same product and no clues on how to compete in these conditions.

I am not afraid of competition, I think Prometeus has something to offer, not only in terms of prices, but also location, support, customization (coming soon almost unlimited customization), LEB part is so small that even if the market will disappear over night wont give us much headache anyway.

So, my motivation for "attacking" OVH was only to put some water over the enthusiasm of some ppl which were ready to give the little bird from their hand for the big one on the fence. I also felt a bit upset for the personal attacks and name calling, but this is LET... If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

That being said, the offer is still fantastic and I am currently trying to buy one myself.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @Maounique good luck, I am waiting still.

• Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited July 2013

@chauffer said:
    jcaleb Online.net's connectivity is very, very bad (<1Mbit/s to US)

Not sure about digicube, but their plans are far worse than OVH's

I used Digicube's low-end dedicated for more than a year.

I can't say definitely anything bad about them. The only strange rule is to write and send written (on paper) letter when one needs to cancel a DS.

• TravTrav Member

@Infinity580 said:
    That is why it so cheap, we are test subjects.... I hate this, i thought i could take over the world with my little atom haha :D

The little atom that could!

• @Master_Bo

I mean price-wise, they're worse than OVH's, at least new plans

• RophRoph Member

Well, still haven't received mine yet. I'm in the UK and ordered from .co.uk.

• smansman Member
    edited July 2013

The hardware and power and bandwidth is not free. Even if they are doing big volume and have their own data center their costs are only a little bit lower. So to be practically giving it away is not sustainable. That's the bottom line.

@sman said:
    The hardware and power and bandwidth is not free. Even if you are doing big volume your costs are only a little bit lower. So to be practically giving it away is not sustainable. That's the bottom line.

Which many people fail to understand. I am certain they lose some money, but can afford it, probably and if they do it to make free PR campaigns and test things, that is their right. Call it beta test (for new firewall with DDoS protection, for new ToS, for how fast can they deploy, for how reliable new DC is, whatever) and treat it as such, after all, they gave away VPSes in the past.

• @chauffer said:
    Master_Bo

I mean price-wise, they're worse than OVH's, at least new plans

Perhaps. However, to me quality is above price.