Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Updraft Plus vs All-in-One WP Migration - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Updraft Plus vs All-in-One WP Migration

2»

Comments

• Duplicator is the best and easiest of them all.
    I believe the free version works with up to 1 gb. https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

• Updraft with Dropbox has always saved me.
    ManageWP.com has backups for $2/month with cloning features included

• it depends on how much large backup/files you want to move.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Hxxx said: Manual is always best.

-install wp migrate and export DB.

I've migrated dozens of WP sites and never used "wp migrate". I don't even know what that is, but the steps you've listed more or less work without it.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • dsanddsand Member

Yes, updraft not supported migration in free version, but migration with updraft is easiest way to migrate. I don't know, is it right to wrote about nulled version, but I use it. Only for migration.

• Apologies for bumping an old thread but how do migrate from one platform to another?

Alot of the methods in this thread involve zipping up directories and moving them over. This isn't going to work i.e. apache to nginx bc of.htaccess, etc or am I missing something?

It seems like as soon as the architecture is different on the target server you will have problems - i.e. I have seen themes that won't work with php7 but work fine under php5

Do any of these plugins handle this issue as I don't think copying a bunch of files over is gonna work in a lot of cases.

• @sidewinder said:
    Apologies for bumping an old thread but how do migrate from one platform to another?

Alot of the methods in this thread involve zipping up directories and moving them over. This isn't going to work i.e. apache to nginx bc of.htaccess, etc or am I missing something?

It seems like as soon as the architecture is different on the target server you will have problems - i.e. I have seen themes that won't work with php7 but work fine under php5

Do any of these plugins handle this issue as I don't think copying a bunch of files over is gonna work in a lot of cases.

Plugins can't take care of other plugins/themes incompatibility issues with php version. You'll have to manually add nginx rules and figure out what is not compatible.

• Just to add inn here. I use All in One WP Migration, and have the extension for unlimited. I just moved a site of 4GB, from a shared hosting to a DO VPS with Litespeed, migrating to a different domain name as well(just to do some testing). Works just fine :)

I have only good experiences moving sites with All-in-one. Of course, there might be limitations in PHP for larger sites. Have not gone above 4 gb yet..

Although I am considering switching to UpdraftPlus. Bought the extension for All-in-one to send backups to DO Spaces, however it just took down a site due to maxed out space. I backup daily with a 15 days history, and it stores all the backups in both DO and on the site.. Thought that was a bit weird. It even stopped sending backups days before it crashed.

Thinking UpdraftPlus might be better, I also plan to send backups to both an S3 bucket as well as a DO Spaces. Incase DO should decide suddenly delete my account or and all my droplets :p

• @notechup said:
    Just to add inn here. I use All in One WP Migration, and have the extension for unlimited. I just moved a site of 4GB, from a shared hosting to a DO VPS with Litespeed, migrating to a different domain name as well(just to do some testing). Works just fine :)

I have only good experiences moving sites with All-in-one. Of course, there might be limitations in PHP for larger sites. Have not gone above 4 gb yet..

Although I am considering switching to UpdraftPlus. Bought the extension for All-in-one to send backups to DO Spaces, however it just took down a site due to maxed out space. I backup daily with a 15 days history, and it stores all the backups in both DO and on the site.. Thought that was a bit weird. It even stopped sending backups days before it crashed.

Thinking UpdraftPlus might be better, I also plan to send backups to both an S3 bucket as well as a DO Spaces. Incase DO should decide suddenly delete my account or and all my droplets :p

What I like about Updraft is, that it doesnt use any special own format to safe the files. All files are saved as .zip and can be restored/opened/modified as such. AIO has there own file format but you can't just open it to edit a few files afaik?

Ultimately I ended up using Updraft for regular backups and AIO for site migrations. Can't complain about that 1 click backup&restore of AIO. Works like a charm.

• All in one WP is great as you mentioned if your website is smaller than ~500MB, updraft plus we haven't used before, all depends really on the size of your websites.

Alternatively you could just manually transfer websites by uploading them through FTP, takes a bit more time but would save you on costs.

• @WebHostingUK said:
    All in one WP is great as you mentioned if your website is smaller than ~500MB, updraft plus we haven't used before, all depends really on the size of your websites.

Alternatively you could just manually transfer websites by uploading them through FTP, takes a bit more time but would save you on costs.

Moving multiple GB websites with AIO is just as easy tbh. Works like a charm.