Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Updraft Plus vs All-in-One WP Migration
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Updraft Plus vs All-in-One WP Migration

Looking to export a certain number of wp installations, some to a new server & new domain.

Updraft Plus or https://de.wordpress.org/plugins/all-in-one-wp-migration/ ?

How does Updraft Plus handle migrations to another domain+server? Is it quite as easy?
I tested All in One (for free) to see how it works and it was really one click. Although free version is limtied to 512mb installs so wont work for me.

Comments

• Updraft doesn't support migrations in the free version, if I am not wrong.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited August 2017

Manual is always best.

-tar the files.

-install wp migrate and export DB.

-untar the files in the new server

-create db

-gunzip the sql.gz that you exported

-import through phpmyadmin or go to console and mysql -u root -p dbname < sqlfile.sql

• @Junkless Unfortunately free version only supports 512mb. Unlimited size is 69$ lifetime.

@saf31 Cant have a plugin not working in 10%-20% (taken from their description) if a client is waiting.

@Hxxx Sometimes there is no time to manual :/

• @Ympker said:
    @Junkless Unfortunately free version only supports 512mb. Unlimited size is 69$ lifetime.

@saf31 Cant have a plugin not working in 10%-20% (taken from their description) if a client is waiting.

@Hxxx Sometimes there is no time to manual :/

BackupBuddy

Thanked by 2Junkless Ympker
  • nusproutnusprout Member
    edited August 2017

Updraft is free, but some features are found in the premium version.

WP Time Capsule and XCloner are alternatives.

https://wptimecapsule.com/index.php (they have a free plan)

https://github.com/ovidiul/XCloner-Wordpress

Restore your backups on any other location, XCloner will attempt to extract the backup archive files for you, as well as import the mysql dump and update the Wordpress config details

Thanked by 2Ympker lazyt
  • I use the premium version of updraft on all my WP sites. It works well, and the support is good. My web-designer uses it too. She makes a clone of my sites, builds new themes with her mirrored copy then restores. I think it is well worth what I pay for it in time saved and lack of trouble.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • HxxxHxxx Member

All those "" plugins will give you the finger upon restoring. Guarantee. Don't take my word and try restoring a big complicated wordpress with lots of data and customization. Plus none of these are really fully automated, you still need to have a WP installed. By the time you finish , you could have done 5 wordpress with the method I wrote in my previous reply.

Thanked by 2miniswift M66B
  • JorboxJorbox Member
    edited August 2017

I prefer doing it by myself , while im installing the wordpress and the plugin I should be finished uploading it manualy

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • All-In-One migration has always worked wonders for me.

Thanked by 2Ympker Aidan
  • I have had no issues with WP Clone. Though the largest backup I have had to restore is about 300MB (mostly media files not many posts). BTW, WP Clone offers a restore service at $10/site.

If it is a one time activity, maybe rsync the wp folder and import the .sql file.

• @Jorbox said:
    I prefer doing it by myself , while im installing the wordpress and the plugin I should be finished uploading it manualy

I did this until now, too. But the need to transfer numerous wp installations at a morr frequent rate is why Im looking now xD
    Moving a 8gb installation atm :O

• I mostly do manual restores but have successfully migrated over 1GB of archives with backupbuddy. Had to do manually for bigger sites like over 3-6 gb.

because php can't do that big archive on a normal server.

@Ympker said:

@Jorbox said:

I did this until now, too. But the need to transfer numerous wp installations at a morr frequent rate is why Im looking now xD

You will have to do manual :(

Thanked by 2Ympker lazyt
  • @jetchirag said:
    I mostly do manual restores but have successfully migrated over 1GB of archives with backupbuddy. Had to do manually for bigger sites like over 3-6 gb.

@Ympker said:

@Jorbox said:

Afterall I guess it comes down to that :/
    Just love it downloading that 8gb from clients former webhost with a really slow speed even though I have 400 Mbit/s download (technically) at home. Atleast the 25 mbit/s upload later is something I dont wanna miss anymore ;) But ugh I hate moving such big pieces of ***** . Maybe gonna try to compress it a bit before again.

• @Ympker said:

@jetchirag said:
    I mostly do manual restores but have successfully migrated over 1GB of archives with backupbuddy. Had to do manually for bigger sites like over 3-6 gb.

@Ympker said:

@Jorbox said:

Afterall I guess it comes down to that :/
    Just love it downloading that 8gb from clients former webhost with a really slow speed even though I have 400 Mbit/s download (technically) at home. Atleast the 25 mbit/s upload later is something I dont wanna miss anymore ;) But ugh I hate moving such big pieces of ***** . Maybe gonna try to compress it a bit before again.

You can use remote desktop (I do)

• @Ympker do you have shell access?

• @jetchirag said:
    @Ympker do you have shell access?

On the source host? No :/

• @Ympker said:

@jetchirag said:

What about making the zip file public with a random name and index disabled.
    Then on new host, use wget to download file

• @jetchirag said:

@Ympker said:

@jetchirag said:

What about making the zip file public with a random name and index disabled.
    Then on new host, use wget to download file

Was thinking about that but not sure I wanna do that security wise. Customers data afterall.

• Ympker said: Was thinking about that but not sure I wanna do that security wise. Customers data afterall.

I haven't tried it for same reason :/

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2017

@jetchirag said:

Ympker said: Was thinking about that but not sure I wanna do that security wise. Customers data afterall.

I haven't tried it for same reason :/

Hence Im being stuck with downloading the files at super slow speed (feels like uploaded.to free user) from their webpanel. Will push an encrypted backup.zip copy to 1Fichier if I never need to move that shit again.

• NdhaNdha Member

@Ympker have you tried https://mythemeshop.com/plugins/my-wp-backup-pro/ ??
    i'd already used that to move almost 12Gb files..i can give that pro plugin..

• @Ndha said:
    @Ympker have you tried https://mythemeshop.com/plugins/my-wp-backup-pro/ ??
    i'd already used that to move almost 12Gb files..i can give that pro plugin..

Havent yet :/

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Root access on the destination server ??

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2017

Yes. Most of the times. If not transferring to another host. This specific 8gb install I have root yeah.

• edited August 2017

WP Clone by WP Academy for small website and Manual migrations for big websites.

• Update:
    Updraft did work to some extent. I could migrate plugins, theme, db, other via updraft. And had to upload and unzip the "upload" backups from updraft manually.

• Install All In One WP Migration. Go to Plugins-> Editor. In the dropdown list find All In One WP Migration and select it. On the right side find the constants.php and click on it. In the constants.php search for Max File Size. Add as many zeroes as you want to the number in the brackets. Now you have unlimited upload and download size for free.
    P.S. if you update Wordpress or the plugin, you will have to repeat the process.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

I usually zip up a file of all content, leave out the wp-config.php and then I restrict the directory where it's put to only allow my own + remote server IP - so.. can safely download :-)

tbh, I migrate sites faster manually, than it can be done with plugins majority of the time.

If shell access, I have a script that I run - if no shell access, I figure out other ways, but I've done hundreds and hundreds of manual migrations :'D

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • Old thread, but I think the Duplicator plug-in is the best alternative. Easy migration betweeen servers/domains, and free as well.