Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NIXStats vs NodeQuery. What do you prefer?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NIXStats vs NodeQuery. What do you prefer?

nqservicesnqservices Member
edited August 2017 in General

Hi,

About server monitoring I'm trying to decide on what to use: NIXStats or NodeQuery.

I know I can use both at same time, but I don't want to "overkill" so just want to use one.

Already used @NodeQuery in the past but never tryied @NIXStats. What are your opinion? What's the best? Thanks

NIXStats vs NodeQuery
  1. What do you prefer?79 votes
    1. NIXStats
      65.82%
    2. NodeQuery
      34.18%

Comments

• imokimok Member

There hasn't been any news about Nodequery since a lot of time I think. So I prefer Nixstats.

Thanked by 2swain vfuse
  • @imok said:
    There hasn't been any news about Nodequery since a lot of time I think. So I prefer Nixstats.

Yes, NodeQuery last Twitter post was 14 Out 2015 and last Github change was 3 years ago. NIXStats seems to be more regulary updated.

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • M_OrdinateurM_Ordinateur Member
    edited August 2017

NodeQuery's development seems halted and they do not reply to emails, whereas @vfuse is constantly adding new features to Nixstats.

But the latter may become paid soon.

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • I like both :P but I prefer nixstats

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • I use both but nixstats is my preferred :)

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited August 2017

I have an account with them like... forever but never actually got to use it. How is it in terms of security? I see I have to install an agent. Any security checks on that code?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Nixstats certainly! <3

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • I've been using NodeQuery since it first started almost. But been looking to change due to no updates.

• @Hxxx said:
    I have an account with them like... forever but never actually got to use it. How is it in terms of security? I see I have to install an agent. Any security checks on that code?

Yes, security is a must!

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • sinsin Member

nixstats is in the debian stretch backport repo btw

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • lionlion Member

@sin said:
    nixstats is in the debian stretch backport repo btw

It's even in the main repo!

Thanked by 2sin vfuse
  • WSSWSS Member

I'm such a cranky old fart that I still run NoCol on a mac lc475 with a real 040 and 16MB RAM on an 80MB HD with just enough System6 to load the finder extension and boot into NetBSD.

This was true 20 years ago.

I use different stuff depending on what I want, but I generally use monit and munin.

• I'm currently using NodeQuery, it works well for my basic needs.

I'll probably give NixStats a try, but I'm always wary of installing some Python-based software because of the dependency issues it might bring over.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Im biased since I got a free NixStats shirt...lol

Thanked by 3MikePT vfuse doghouch
  • Using nodequery for a long time, it's stable and enough for me.

• @wilsonkor said:
    Using nodequery for a long time, it's stable and enough for me.

What about security?

• nqservicesnqservices Member
    edited August 2017

@jetchirag said:

@wilsonkor said:
    Using nodequery for a long time, it's stable and enough for me.

What about security?

Yes, with the lack of updates I don't know the state of security with NodeQuery. Does anyone knows if NodeQuery developer hangs here on LET? What's is nickname?

From my end I have been testing NIXStats for the last hours and it really seems a powerfull and very complete system. It allows almost complete customization of dashboard and alerts.

NodeQuery seems to be a more simple solution, not allowing as much costumizaton, but the design is good and simple to check/monitor server most important aspects.

To resume, until now from my own testing I like more the NodeQuery simplicity and design. NIXStats is more complete for more detailed monitoring.

I would probably use both for different projects, but if NodeQuery development has stopped I will take it out of my options list.

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • Definitely NixStats. Powerful, UI top notch, and a nice public page

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • TomTom Member

NodeQuery hasn't received any updates since, I want to say like 2014? 2015?

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • imokimok Member
    edited August 2017

@nqservices said:
    Does anyone knows if NodeQuery developer hangs here on LET? What's is nickname?

He is @Joe_NQ.

It's pretty strange that the person/people behind this nice service hasn't had any word about it. Hope they are fine.

I use Nodequery for servers running software I like to test.

• HxxxHxxx Member

Any official security checks on NixStats?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, he posted on uservoice, a new version of NodeQuery is in progress, like a few weeks ago.

Thanked by 2Tom jaden
  • imokimok Member

@Neoon said:
    Well, he posted on uservoice, a new version of NodeQuery is in progress, like a few weeks ago.

He said:

A completely new version of NodeQuery has been in development for quite a while now. It will however still take a little longer to be released because of other projects that are higher on the priority list.
    Until then we only keep the old version functioning without pushing any new features.

https://nodequery.uservoice.com/forums/235973-nodequery-feedback/suggestions/18937102-should-i-consider-nodequery-dead

Great to know they are alive.

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited August 2017

Hetrixtools much more better.. try it :) Uptime,blacklist and linux server monitor

Thanked by 1HBAndrei
  • I haven't had used NodeQuery since long time but would prefer nixstats. :)

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2017

Thanks for everyone for mentioning Nixstats.

We've been releasing many new features lately to name a few:

• Custom dashboards (drag and drop, resize graphs, add any metrics you want on these pages from one or multiple servers).
    • Custom dashboard public pages
    • Export graphs to images
    • Maintanance windows
    • Incoming webhook on slack (For example in slack return graphs for webserver when entering "ns graphs webserver")
    • Incoming/outgoing webhook for Rocket.Chat
    • Easily create custom plugins for anything you want to monitor on your server. We currently have plugins for phpfpm, mysql, mongodb, apache2, nginx, litespeed)
    • Alerting for custom metrics
    • And many more small improvements

Something else that's nearly done is a subuser features, grant someone else access to either all of your web monitors/servers or only to a specific set of tags.

Most updates are pushed to twitter, i'll try to update on LET more often since we have about ~500 users sign up from LET so far.

The source code of our monitoring agent is open source https://github.com/NIXStats/nixstatsagent

@Hxxx said:
    Any official security checks on NixStats?

What kind of "official security checks" would you like to see?

Thanked by 3eva2000 MikePT colbert
  • vldvld Member

https://hetrixtools.com/ - really good.

Thanked by 1HBAndrei
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Here's a sample of a status page with custom graphs: https://nixstats.com/report/552d86414303ed97258b4567

Thanked by 2eva2000 colbert
  • MagicalTrainMagicalTrain Member
    edited August 2017

What's the plan for pricing options later?

Since it's us at LET here, there are probably more like me, where we have 20-30 vps/servers and most monitoring tools don't support that many on their free plan and any paid plans are geared towards businesses (which reflects in their pricing)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • NodeQuery is good.