Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is DigitalOcean reliable enough? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is DigitalOcean reliable enough?

2»

Comments

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited July 2013

@Zetta said:
    Prove it then, post full ticket screenshots. I'm sick of hearing these one-sided biased arguments. We can judge better from the actual exchange between customer and host than what can be inferred from your opinionated post.

Here is a screen shot, Hopefully it PROVES it for you.
    http://gyazo.com/32b9a340cf44ea2e297b30a719e1a15d

• A small thing that nobody mentioned is that you need to reboot your server after you created one. Made about 4 droplets for testing in the last 2 weeks and all of them needed a reboot before I could access SSH.

• @ATHK said:
    Zetta, Trying to get my Droplet limit increased, in regards to them asking for FB info.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9f45t2pscakomhn/Untitled.png

MonsteR, OVH asked for my drivers license before provisioning my Dedi..

I had to confirm my address and stuff with them when I had my SIP phone with them.

• rds100rds100 Member

@MonsteR said:
    I had to confirm my address and stuff with them when I had my SIP phone with them.

This is normal and expected. The laws in most EU contries do not allow anonymous phones.
    Here you have to show an ID card when purchasing a sim card, even a prepaid sim card.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited July 2013

@rds100
    Yeah the phone thing isn't the issue as much as Digital Ocean asking for my facebook, twitter etc etc breaking even Privacy laws? I mean can companies even ask for your facebook and personal social networking platforms legally?

• ATHKATHK Member

@taronyu

I've never had that issue at all, if using an image it takes awhile to boot up for obvious reason....

• @ATHK said:
    taronyu

I've never had that issue at all, if using an image it takes awhile to boot up for obvious reason....

That is obvious, But even after the "60 seconds" are over and waiting for another 5 minutes I'm unable to login.

• ATHKATHK Member

@MonsteR

Read that ticket again...

one or more
    one or more
    one or more
    one or more

FB and Twitter are sometimes easier for a user to supply...

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited July 2013

@ATHK said:
    MonsteR

Read that ticket again...

FB and Twitter are sometimes easier for a user to supply...

Well I guess bit still seems a little wired them randomly locking my account just after i installed tuxlite and setup the server :( then questioning me.

• ATHKATHK Member

I don't see any evidence of that on the ticket you have shown, so I can't comment on that.

• @ATHK said:
    I don't see any evidence of that on the ticket you have shown, so I can't comment on that.

Looks legit to me?!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2013

It's astonishing DO allowed people to sign up with nothing more than E-Mail and a password in the first place. I have to enter much more personal details at any WHMCS-based hoster, than I had at DO.

Yes, asking for Facebook/Twitter/Blog is certainly going a bit "too far", but for one thing, I don't think those are required, and 2nd, it won't be a big deal to most users of Twitter or Facebook -- they already share their public profile and feeds with the whole world anyway, so why do they care if DO knows about them or not.

Also it's especially hilarious to say

@MonsteR said:
    personally I didn't feel like giving my facebook details to a company?

Like Facebook itself is not a company :D
    Or dozens of advertisers it sells your details to, are not companies; etc etc etc.

• ATHKATHK Member

@shaunpud .. That was in regards to

randomly locking my account just after i installed tuxlite and setup the server

• ATHKATHK Member

Realistically if you aren't willing to give any personal information to them your probably up to no good anyway..

Thanked by 1awson
  • Digital Ocean asking for my facebook, twitter etc etc breaking even Privacy laws?

The concern about Digital Ocean possibly violating privacy laws by asking for the URL of your Facebook profile is ironic when you consider that Facebook's entire business model is based on violating its users' privacy by harvesting as much personal information about its users and their activities as it can and selling it to the highest bidder (or sharing its users info with the US government without a warrant or subpoena).

The concern about Digital Ocean possibly violating privacy laws is also ironic since your hosting company RaptorNode doesn't appear to have a posted privacy policy on its website (and the only mention of privacy in your TOS is a statement that you may go through your users files if you receive a DMCA)

RaptorNode staff agree to respect your privacy and will not go through the files on your service, however exceptions may be made in serious cases including but not limited to:

...A DMCA notification is received, and must be verified (we will not modify or remove any files in this case)

• klikliklikli Member

@Netxons No DO does not have HA in place.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited July 2013

@ATHK said:
    Realistically if you aren't willing to give any personal information to them your probably up to no good anyway..

People usually don't have problem to give personal information (name, address, phone...) when they go into business contract with someone but there's not a single reason to share with non related company they do business with what they do in their free time (ie. if you find my personal blog on internet fine but you have no right to demand from me url to this personal blog as condition to provide me with service I paid for).
    There's not a single legal reason why would anyone need to disclose his joking with friends, family.. and generally who you know and what you do in your free time to company you have business relationship with.

Business relationship =! private life

There's a reason why we have official identity documents for verification.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2013

DO give you 4 options, as shown above, it does not have to be your facebook. But I can see why they do it, they can use it to verify things about you, i.e it gives comfort you are who you say you are and it's often a much better way than a document that's easy to fake.

Of course the same can be said about those items they are asking for however I agree with what has already been said, if they are asking then it's because you are being flagged for some reason as not every one is asked to do this, I was not asked and neither were a few others I just asked.

Now, I have not looked but if their terms state they may ask for that info and they do not do refunds then it's all good, if it's not clear then they either need to make it clear or give you your money back if you object to the info requested.

All that aside, I think they are good, they need to sort out the abuse on the network asap though. With the options they provide it is a much better service for those that need more flexibility such as hourly billing, backups and snapshots than you will get at most others providers.

Use for a production box? Yes I would, I believe the service as is with the backup options allows for it to be a good reliable environment. But always take your own backups, regardless of whether you use ramnode, prometeus, edis or whoever. That's just common sense.

@sktanmoy - Drop them a ticket and point them to this thread, I am willing to bet they will credit you with a few $'s to try the service out.

As always, if they suit you and they work, great, if they don't? Well move on.

• @W1V_Lee said:
    DO give you 4 options, as shown above, it does not have to be your facebook. But I can see why they do it, they can use it to verify things about you, i.e it gives comfort you are who you say you are and it's often a much better way than a document that's easy to fake.

Websites can be made in a few minutes.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Bogdacutuu - indeed, and if you quote the rest of my comments you will see I did acknowledge that.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It's easy to fake everything, including official documents.

And while here (Romania) they are discussing a law to make prepaid SIMs illegal to sell without documents, there are tons of vendors that check those documents less than a host, maybe automated machines distributing them wont work anymore, but it will still be possible to buy with forged/stolen documents, nobody will really check it.

These laws are made for regular citizen spying, not against criminals, those can circumvent the laws without any problem, except a few minutes lost.

• tuxtux Member

@rds100 said:
    This is normal and expected. The laws in most EU contries do not allow anonymous phones.

Here you have to show an ID card when purchasing a sim card, even a prepaid sim card.

You don't need ID card, if you buy prepaid sim card from Finland.