Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is DigitalOcean reliable enough?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is DigitalOcean reliable enough?

sktanmoysktanmoy Member

Do you ever used DigitalOcean? Is DigitalOcean reliable enough to use in production?

Comments

• Definately more reliable than most of the host out there today. However, I see them getting bought out soon.

• Thanks @seriesn for your comment.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@seriesn said:
    Definately more reliable than most of the host out there today. However, I see them getting bought out soon.

By who? :D

• @FtpIt_Radi said:

EIG.... lol

Damn. This means, prices will skyrocket....

• @FtpIt_Radi said:

I don't know but my guts is telling me that it could be RackSpace or Amazon or some other leading "cloud" provider.

• There's just something about DO... I have 30$ in free credits sitting in my account but I'm reluctant to use them for anything particularly important. Their servers seem more like play toys to me for some reason, create/test/burn then that's it. It could be the fact they gave out thousands in free credits, maybe the time they lost customer data.. or the time they lost customer backups then started charging for backups that same day..

Instantserver.io is better :P.

• @FtpIt_Radi said:
    Instantserver.io is better :P.

Yeah, I found them recently from some instant minecraft server that someone showed me, they had a footer that linked to instantserver.io.

Sadly, its been hit with a meteor so it could be down for a while.

• LeeLee Veteran

Using them for 6 months, aside from a couple of issues around network speed which were resolved it has been fine. Certainly recommend them over the majority advertising here.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

They seem to have a pretty decent ad budget going at the moment.

• I run a production website off DigitalOcean. It has 100% uptime thus far which is 162 days (New York location).

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Their instant provisioning and hourly payment is nice, but DO is certainly not remarkable for its reliability, their network constantly went down when I used them.

• I owned a DigitalOcean VPS in their New York location for about 6 months and had absolutely no issues. Definitely recommend them

• Just had ~2 hours of downtime yesterday at SF location.

But it's pretty good for it's price and CP is awesome.

• @lele0108 said:
    Just had ~2 hours of downtime yesterday at SF location.

But it's pretty good for it's price and CP is awesome.

I'm using about a month. And SF location but had no downtime yesterday, feeling confused.

• I haven't heard a single complaint about them.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited July 2013

I've got several DO VPS's in San Fran doing fine no downtime no network issues nothing.

My only issue was that they limit the amount of droplets you can have at one time, unless you ask of course :)

• lele0108lele0108 Member
    edited July 2013

@sktanmoy said:
    I'm using about a month. And SF location but had no downtime yesterday, feeling confused.

They had some issues with nLayer yesterday, which caused some downtime on certain networks. Bad timing for me, since I was just about to demo a app.

Still love DigitalOcean though, since the SLA'd the downtime.

• tommytommy Member

few of my friend use DO for almost 1 year and so happy so far

• I would have to say no, Within the first day my account got locked, they wanted to know my name, lastname, phone number, address, facebook url, and a ton of privet stuff you wouldn't give a hosing company, So I asked for a refund and they simply ignored me = My $10 lost... :|

• @MonsteR said:
    I would have to say no, Within the first day my account got locked, they wanted to know my name, lastname, phone number, address, facebook url, and a ton of privet stuff you wouldn't give a hosing company, So I asked for a refund and they simply ignored me = My $10 lost... :|

I never feel annoying to give name/phone etc. Many hosts do that. I faced same thing with buyvm. Even Amazon don't allow without phone and credit card verification.

BTW, in my case digital ocean didn't do such thing.

• LeeLee Veteran

@MonsteR said:
    I would have to say no, Within the first day my account got locked, they wanted to know my name, lastname, phone number, address, facebook url, and a ton of privet stuff you wouldn't give a hosing company, So I asked for a refund and they simply ignored me = My $10 lost... :|

So you can't then comment on whether they are reliable, which is the question.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited July 2013

@W1V_Lee said:
    So you can't then comment on whether they are reliable, which is the question.

was an answer not a question, Also personally I didn't feel like giving my facebook details to a company? no one asked for that, Also this does say if their reliable because any reliable host wouldn't ignore you once they falsely lock your account and question you with asking ridiculous questions.(Been over 7 days I just charged back as its a blatant fraud) Anyway this was my experience with them im sure there are many better one. Just not for me.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited July 2013

I have used them for 1-2 weeks in .nl location as a asterisk pbx for home use, had a network problem once and it was sorted quickly, I also monitored the server with scalextreme and there weren't any problems, so I would use again.

• ZettaZetta Member
    edited July 2013

@MonsteR said:
    was an answer not a question, Also personally I didn't feel like giving my facebook details to a company? no one asked for that, Also this does say if their reliable because any reliable host wouldn't ignore you once they falsely lock your account and question you with asking ridiculous questions.(Been over 7 days I just charged back as its a blatant fraud) Anyway this was my experience with them im sure there are many better one. Just not for me.

Prove it then, post full ticket screenshots. I'm sick of hearing these one-sided biased arguments. We can judge better from the actual exchange between customer and host than what can be inferred from your opinionated post.

• No ideas does the DO VPS got HA feature?

• awsonawson Member

@MonsteR said:

They only ask that if you're a sketchy fuck.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited July 2013

@Zetta, Trying to get my Droplet limit increased, in regards to them asking for FB info.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9f45t2pscakomhn/Untitled.png

@MonsteR, OVH asked for my drivers license before provisioning my Dedi..

• OxideOxide Member

I use DO on an hourly, as needed basis whenever I need to test scripts, does the job well and droplets are up in a heartbeat. No complaints but personally I would not use them for anything mission critical