Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommend me a Laptop
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommend me a Laptop

I'm looking to replace my current laptop Dell Inspiron 3543. Budget for new laptop budget $700.

Looking for these specific features:

15.6" Full HD display.(Touch screen optional)

Backlit Keyboard.

4 hour+ battery timing.

8GB RAM, Core i3 or i5 will work and should have Windows.

HDD or SSD doesn't matter as I will swap it with my own SSD.

Thanks...

Comments

• namhuynamhuy Member

I recently purchased an used dell 7559 with i7-6700hq cpu. I run mostly vmware on that machine and sometimes little gaming. Quite happy witj it, and its fit within your budget.

• WSSWSS Member

Latitude E6500

• Anything MSI is cool by me. Running an A600 now and seems to be ok.

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

for me is MacBook all the way

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

Dell XPS 15? 15" screen in what looks and feels like a 13-14" laptop. I use the 7th Gen XPS 13, great battery life.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

TheKiller said: I'm looking to replace my current laptop Dell Inspiron 3543. Budget for new laptop budget $700.

where you located ? Amazon has a bloody good selection of laptops - lots of goods one I looked at don't ship to Australia for me but US folks are lucky :)

• I just bought just about same specs for my wife. It was about CDN $849 so should be around $700 US.

HP Laptop ProBook 450 G4 (Y9F95UT#ABA) Intel Core i5 7th Gen 7200U (2.50 GHz) 8
    GB Memory 256 GB SSD Intel HD Graphics 620 15.6" Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

• JorboxJorbox Member

Macbook or Dell

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Jorbox said:
    Macbook or Dell

Not enough budget for the macbook with the specs requested

• jenokjenok Member, Host Rep

Increase your budget a bit, you wont go wrong and disappointed with Macbook Pro. I have one 2009 MBP and still using it everyday. Imagine it, already 8 years old and still fast enough.

• @jenok said:
    Increase your budget a bit, you wont go wrong and disappointed with Macbook Pro. I have one 2009 MBP and still using it everyday. Imagine it, already 8 years old and still fast enough.

In your opinion, is an 2012 MPB worth it? It cost around 400usd, so, it fit my budget.

• jenokjenok Member, Host Rep

@DigitalJosee said:

@jenok said:

In your opinion, is an 2012 MPB worth it? It cost around 400usd, so, it fit my budget.

Is it second hand ? I don't prefer second hand, it is 50:50 games. You don't know what happended during previous user usage. Sometimes electronic spllied with water or coffee still fix-able especially MBP. But not durable.

• Avoid any second-hand macbook with a dedicated gpu chip in it. Those things dont last.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@teamacc said:
    Avoid any second-hand macbook with a dedicated gpu chip in it. Those things dont last.

True. My coworker with a shiny, expensive paper weight can attest to this.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Ex-corporate refurbished Dell Latitude with a hardware upgrade and an extra-large battery. Should easily get you 6-7 hours of battery life even, they're cheap, readily available everywhere in good conditions, and I believe that some of the models have a backlit keyboard (plus you can get a backlit keyboard from eBay or AliExpress for a few dollars anyway, they're swappable). There are probably some with Full HD screens as well.

@jenok said:

@DigitalJosee said:

@jenok said:

Is it second hand ? I don't prefer second hand, it is 50:50 games. You don't know what happended during previous user usage. Sometimes electronic spllied with water or coffee still fix-able especially MBP. But not durable.

There's an entire industry of refurbished ex-corporate hardware vendors (although Apple stuff is rarer amongst them). They usually give you warranty as well, and it's safe to buy one from a reputable vendor.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Thanks all for your input.

@Ole_Juul said:
    HP Laptop ProBook 450 G4 (Y9F95UT#ABA) Intel Core i5 7th Gen 7200U (2.50 GHz) 8
    GB Memory 256 GB SSD Intel HD Graphics 620 15.6" Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

How is this going? Performance?

• Thinkpad

• ewrekewrek Member
    edited July 2017

Typing this message on a Asus ux410 with a i5-7200u and 24GB. Model came standard with 8GB, but i had 16GB ram lie around. Cost 800 euros.

Works pretty fast for most tasks (only not gaming). The reason that i did go for this model was the battery time. With my use 6-8 Hours.

• @jenok said:

@DigitalJosee said:

@jenok said:

I'm between an old (aka used) MPB or an newer HP Folio G1. It also depends on how much money I'll be able to collect until the end of this year.

• nicenice Member
    edited July 2017

Look at the following: Apple MacBook Pro, MSI GS Series, Dell XPS. Any of them are excellent

• jkr16jkr16 Member
    edited July 2017

I'd look at the new Acer Aspire series. The Aspire 5 fits the bill quite well: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Aspire-5-A515-51-75UY-15-6-Full-HD-1920-x-1080-7th-Gen-Intel-Core-i7-7500U-8GB-DDR4-1TB-HDD-Windows-10-Home/201297867?affp1=|apk|&affilsrc=api&u1=s1501266757474tco8a52402&oid=223073.7200&wmlspartner=9SHw*8narkE&sourceid=06940026703341907602&affillinktype=14&veh=aff

I know there are naysayers for Acer but their new stuff is much better with build quality (typing on a Swift 3)

EDIT: just noticed it doesn't have a backlit keyboard, shame as my older Swift 3 does...

• @DigitalJosee said:

@jenok said:

If you're into MacOS I would definitely pick up a second hand MacBook Pro. The build quality is usually far better than any Windows laptop, especially within your price range. A MacBook Pro 2012 for 400 USD is very cheap though, so I'd only buy it if you know the seller is trustable or you can have a look at the laptop before buying.

• FoxelVoxFoxelVox Member
    edited July 2017

Lenovo Y700, Dell Inspiron 7559, HP 15-bw052nd, Lenovo Ideapad 510-15IKB 80SV00K5MH or a MacBook Air 2014 / MacBook Pro early 2013 perhaps?

I recommend a MacBook Air 2014/2015 or the Lenovo Ideapad510-15IKB for this price range.

• OBHostOBHost Member, Host Rep

HP Laptop ProBook 650

• GiovanniMGiovanniM Member
    edited July 2017

I recently replaced my Dell Inspiron 3542 with a Lenovo IdeaPad 310-15IKB and it has been running good so far. 8 GB DDR4 RAM and it comes with a Nvidia Geforce 920 MX GPU and 7th Gen. Core i7. The price is around $600; would definitely recommend it, but it does not come with keyboard backlights. I believe there are other variants of this model starting from $480.

Edit: sorry, missed the full HD requirement - max res. for this laptop is 720p, not 1080p. I would recommend taking a look into Asus K556UR-DM180T in that case; same specs except for the GPU which is 930 MX with FHD and backlights. Price within $680.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • TheKiller said: How is this going? Performance?

She's totally happy with it. Nice and snappy. Win 10 of course has issues, but that's the world of corporate DRM so no getting around that if you want to participate. Note though, that this is not a small laptop. It's got a big screen and a number pad.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • I have some of the suggestions, will definitely look into these.

MB is not an option, Windows machine is required. Also not for gaming.

So far I have found following within my range:

Dell Inspiron 5567 touch.

HP Probook 450 G4.

IdeaPad 310-15IKB .

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited July 2017

What @joepie91 said:

Some really well built ex-corporate laptops are out there : HP elitebooks, Dell Latitudes, and the pre-2012 Thinkpads(coz I give a damn about a good keyboard)

Currently 26 months into a refurb X201 that I beefed up with a $35 9cell battery .

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • Get from outlet.dell.com (Deals are posted on https://twitter.com/delloutlet).

Go for Latitude instead of Inspiron or XPS. Good options within $700.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited July 2017

HP EliteBook 2570p. Very customizable, ie you can swap the dvdrom with hdd caddy so you can have 2 hdd/ssd on board, external gpu..

edit: no backlit