Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Convince Me To Buy A VPN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Convince Me To Buy A VPN

NarutoNaruto Member
edited January 2012 in General

I live in the United States and I have never used a VPN before.

I like the idea of having a GUI to some remote machine, but other than that I can't think of any reason to use one.

Convince me why I should buy one. :)

Comments

• Just buy a VPS and install your own VPN on it :>

• 1) I don't know how to do that.

2) I'd still love to know why I should use a VPN.

3) If there is no viable reason for me to, that's okay... hoping there is though. I get bored. I need to know things that I can look back at and say "I'll never do it that way ever again." kind of like how I used to wipe towards the front.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Keep in mind that logging into a remote server/PC with a GUI is not considered a VPN. A VPN is more secure, faster, and easier to use.

If you ever connect to a public hotspot to check your e-mail or login to any websites/programs a VPN should be used to encrypt your data.

If your work/school blocks certain ports/content than a VPN is your best choice.

• So really unless there's something I can't access or if I want to look at illegal content under false information using some provider that doesn't look into that stuff, there's no real reason for ME to get one?

• Nope

But I prefer privacy when I am in public networks, so, I can bring up my VPN and browse with confidency.

• NarutoNaruto Member
    edited January 2012

Interesting idea. If I'm at church using their wifi I could use a VPN when browsing. I only look at bad stuff when browsing. Heck yeah. If I were doing something important on it and my power went out at my house I guess when it came back on I could always reconnect and continue doing stuff. That's real cool.

edited January 2012

@Naruto said: If I were doing something important on it and my power went out at my house I guess when it came back on I could always reconnect and continue doing stuff. That's real cool.

That's not how a VPN works. If you connect to a VPN, once you disconnect (logoff, reboot, power off, or lose network) your VPN connection is dropped.

• @KuJoe said: That's not how a VPN works. If you connect to a VPN, once you disconnect (logoff, reboot, power off, or lose network) your VPN connection is dropped.

I sometimes wonder if this guy is just being sarcastic, or is making fun in all his posts, or ignores the privacy concept.

• @yomero said: I sometimes wonder if this guy is just being sarcastic, or is making fun in all his posts, or ignores the privacy concept.

If "this guy" is me, everything in this particular discussion is legit.

@KuJoe said: That's not how a VPN works. If you connect to a VPN, once you disconnect (logoff, reboot, power off, or lose network) your VPN connection is dropped.

I was thinking if I was connected to some GUI and had a download going at like 50% on the desktop of it and my internet connection at home died, I could sign back on when it came back up and see that the download had finished or is still going or something. That won't work? :( I've never used a VPN, sorry.

• @Naruto said: If "this guy" is me, everything in this particular discussion is legit.

Oh god, he's serious...

@Naruto said: If I were doing something important on it and my power went out at my house I guess when it came back on I could always reconnect and continue doing stuff. That's real cool.

Why not just get a VNC server running?

• @Zetta said: Why not just get a VNC server running?

I think he's mixing the two up.

@Naruto, think of a VPN as a proxy.

@Kairus is correct. There are benefits to running a desktop on a VPS and connecting to it remotely to do things but keep in mind it won't be as fast as a VPN (Virtual Private Network, you configure your PC to use your VPS as a "tunnel" and thus all all traffic goes through your VPS for added security and privacy).

Personally, I have 3 VPNs setup and use them regularly but for most users within the US, there's not really much of a need (a VPN on your home network is probably good enough for normal tasks at hotels or public hotspots).

Also remember, your download speed is limited by your VPN's upload speed.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

For me, living in sweden most stuff is slower when using s US based vpn. However I have access to services like Hulu and stuff thats not 'allowed' to broadcast abroad.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Other then for privacy, a vpn can defend you against the DNS poisoning threats when you are on the road. When you use unknown dns server they can point you wherever they like and if the destination "seems" to you what you are looking for... you have fallen into the trap. Think at this like spam phishing on steroid... :)

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited January 2012

When I VPN to my Linode, I get a better connection to the US, even though my Linode is in the same country as me.

So its useful, and great if you want to watch Hulu/iPlayer

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I've setup a UK VPN on my mum's iPhone so she can do banking sort of securely.

• @prometeus said: Other then for privacy, a vpn can defend you against the DNS poisoning threats when you are on the road. When you use unknown dns server they can point you wherever they like and if the destination "seems" to you what you are looking for... you have fallen into the trap. Think at this like spam phishing on steroid... :)

You could just set your DNS to safe servers, like google or opendns.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited January 2012

@Kairus said: You could just set your DNS to safe servers, like google or opendns.

Most of the wireless networks I use use OpenDNS for their DNS and we all know how much I complain about censorship that I keep hitting,

The irony during the recent SOPA brouhaha was that someone from OpenDNS got quoted on TV a couple of times. They were presented as being from a "security firm". Got a chuckle over that.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Using opendns to 'stop abuse' is just so silly.

Our old Portland datacenter used to do that to 'counteract torrenters'

Francisco

• @Francisco said: Our old Portland datacenter used to do that to 'counteract torrenters'

The irony of that is that they'll block the actual site but leave the tracker open and resolvable.

Um, not that I know anything about that of course.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@drmike said: The irony of that is that they'll block the actual site but leave the tracker open and resolvable.

Um, not that I know anything about that of course.

Pretty much, yep! Blocked tpb's tracker but other than that....

Granted, the filters weren't a constant thing. They went in every week and lasted for a few days to bring down their 95%.

Francisco

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2012

"Convince Me To Buy A VPN"

With something like a VPN, if you don't already know why you might want one, you probably don't need one.

There are numerous reasons for wanting a VPN account. Everything from hiding your home IP address, to getting IPv6 at home, to accessing country-specific content like Hulu or iPlayer, to getting around ISP port blocking, to getting around censorship, to encrypting your connection at Wifi hotspots, to having the same static IP from any connection, etc etc etc.

edited January 2012

@ramnet hit the nail on the head. The only other reason for wanting one that he didn't mention is accessing an internal network (i.e. work or school).

• Here's my big reason: Doctor Who. If you have a server in the UK then you can watch Doctor Who on Saturday's at 10am PST. I used to do this via a pptp server, but nowadays you can connect to the BBC iplayer via a proxy server, whack is my preferred method.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@caffleck said: If you have a server in the UK then you can watch Doctor Who on Saturday's at 10am PST.

Oy! It's not like Doctor Who is the best thing on UK TV :P

Sure UK TV is crap but there are better shows than that!

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited February 2012

@drmike said: The irony of that is that they'll block the actual site but leave the tracker open and resolvable.

This is why other methods are needed such as Packet inspection. Some clients keep to the rules but others dont. Action needs to be taken. Providers need to be open about this though.

• @Infinity said: Oy! It's not like Doctor Who is the best thing on UK TV :P

You're absolutely right! Torchwood is the best show in the UK, followed very closely by Doctor Who. =P

In all seriousness though, my personal opinion is that most of the content on the BBC is superior to what we get here in the US.

• The IT Crowd is my favorite from the UK:)

Thanked by 2TheHackBox draco
  • I don't know if it was on BBC, but I really liked Life On Mars

• @miTgiB said: I don't know if it was on BBC, but I really liked Life On Mars

The BBC is the propaganda arm of the british government & Labour Party, ITV and Ch4 are better. ( Ow they also make you pay for this via a tax called a tv license)

The Secret Millionaire is quite a good program. As is Judge judy :D